All Things Aviation

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: All Things Aviation

Post by Freightdog »

I was going to post about this a couple of days ago, but company crap knocked it from my mind.

Operation Chastise, just gone. Better known as the Dambusters raid.
So what’s needed now is a gratuitous shot of 4 Merlin’s in close formation

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Man arrested for opening Asiana plane door mid-flight in South Korea
Story by Thomas Maresca • 1h ago

Asiana Airlines Flight OZ8124 had 194 passengers on board and took off from Jeju Island on Friday morning local time for a short trip from the popular holiday destination. The Airbus A321 departed shortly before noon and landed at 12:39 p.m., according to flight tracker website Flightradar 24.

A cellphone video shot by a passenger and shared widely on local media showed the plane's emergency exit door hanging open as a roaring wind whipped through the cabin, blowing around passengers' hair and seat headrest covers.

Witnesses told news agency Yonhap that the suspect attempted to jump out of the plane after opening the door but was restrained by other passengers and flight crew.

Police said that the man's motive was still unknown.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ma ... r-AA1bITKL
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:21 pm Man arrested for opening Asiana plane door mid-flight in South Korea
Story by Thomas Maresca • 1h ago

Asiana Airlines Flight OZ8124 had 194 passengers on board and took off from Jeju Island on Friday morning local time for a short trip from the popular holiday destination. The Airbus A321 departed shortly before noon and landed at 12:39 p.m., according to flight tracker website Flightradar 24.

A cellphone video shot by a passenger and shared widely on local media showed the plane's emergency exit door hanging open as a roaring wind whipped through the cabin, blowing around passengers' hair and seat headrest covers.

Witnesses told news agency Yonhap that the suspect attempted to jump out of the plane after opening the door but was restrained by other passengers and flight crew.

Police said that the man's motive was still unknown.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ma ... r-AA1bITKL
Hmmm I didn't think that was possible, the doors are designed to decompress within the airframe.
Freightdog?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

And the door is shown open in the forward position towards the front of the aircraft, MEGA BULLSHIT!
AI?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

All Things Aviation

Post by Freightdog »

Hmmm. More to this story than meets the eye. It doesn’t help much that the video is pretty lacking in detail, and is just a very short clip….played endlessly. I might have to look at it on a bigger screen.

Main doors left, or the service doors on the right, basically plug into the airframe. Internal pressure alone makes it a mammoth task to open once the plane starts pressurising.

Overwing emergency exits are slightly different, depending upon type. Some must come inwards before being manually thrown out (always read the safety card. Esp if you’re at the overwing seats)
Others are hinged, but pinned through interlocks once the engine thrust is pushed up for takeoff.

So? It’s not a straightforward task to open a door.

But I’ll be interested to see what the SLF are getting up to.

Edit.
The photo of the aircraft on the ground shows the left door immediately aft of the wing open.

I’ll embed the photo here…
Photo courtesy of Yonhap. UPI.
(Told ya)

The A321 is sufficiently large enough that to meet certain safety requirements (I think) it needs an actual emergency exit door. (Also- Compare the dimensions with the closed entry door in front of the wing) rather than just the hatch type exits on many slightly smaller A320/B737-800, with lower capacity.
The 321 sort of matches the B757. The 757 had a similar arrangement, and that door was powered, if my failing memory hasn't completely let me down. I’m guessing the A321 might be, but I don’t know for sure as I don’t fly Airbus.

The questions that will come up now will be- how?
The aircraft was on final approach, by all accounts. 700’. So pressurization is pretty close to matching ambient pressure. Still, the door needs to be pushed open enough to start the process.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Apologies to those who don’t find it so interesting, but here’s a video.

I have to say, I too am surprised at how easy this was- for certain the B757 setup required a lot more effort. But there are a few considerations-

First- if you build it, it can fail. Either something breaks, or a situation occurs that was overlooked in the design process.

Differential pressure- the difference between Internal cabin pressure and external air pressure, increases with altitude. Roughly speaking, when an aircraft is at cruise altitude, that differential is 8~9psi, and gives a cabin altitude equivalent to being on top of an 8000 foot mountain.
That pressure is acting against the door, and then the frame of the door, achieving the plug seal.

That differential pressure is also changing with increase and decrease in altitude. At around 5000’ aircraft altitude, it’s quite low, and at landing it’s less than 0.2psi.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:50 pm Hmmm. More to this story than meets the eye. It doesn’t help much that the video is pretty lacking in detail, and is just a very short clip….played endlessly. I might have to look at it on a bigger screen.

Main doors left, or the service doors on the right, basically plug into the airframe. Internal pressure alone makes it a mammoth task to open once the plane starts pressurising.

Overwing emergency exits are slightly different, depending upon type. Some must come inwards before being manually thrown out (always read the safety card. Esp if you’re at the overwing seats)
Others are hinged, but pinned through interlocks once the engine thrust is pushed up for takeoff.

So? It’s not a straightforward task to open a door.

But I’ll be interested to see what the SLF are getting up to.

Edit.
The photo of the aircraft on the ground shows the left door immediately aft of the wing open.

I’ll embed the photo here…
Photo courtesy of Yonhap. UPI.
(Told ya)

The A321 is sufficiently large enough that to meet certain safety requirements (I think) it needs an actual emergency exit door. (Also- Compare the dimensions with the closed entry door in front of the wing) rather than just the hatch type exits on many slightly smaller A320/B737-800, with lower capacity.
The 321 sort of matches the B757. The 757 had a similar arrangement, and that door was powered, if my failing memory hasn't completely let me down. I’m guessing the A321 might be, but I don’t know for sure as I don’t fly Airbus.

The questions that will come up now will be- how?
The aircraft was on final approach, by all accounts. 700’. So pressurization is pretty close to matching ambient pressure. Still, the door needs to be pushed open enough to start the process.
Discussed on PPrune.
https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/652 ... ach-2.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I believe the plane was only 300 meters above ground. Would the plane still be pressurized?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hanno wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:04 pm I believe the plane was only 300 meters above ground. Would the plane still be pressurized?
Minimally. A small amount of differential pressure remains generally until touchdown.
me wrote: That differential pressure is also changing with increase and decrease in altitude. At around 5000’ aircraft altitude, it’s quite low, and at landing it’s less than 0.2psi.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic