Big C From Thailand Buys Kiwi Mart Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Big C From Thailand Buys Kiwi Mart Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:17 am I notice the Kiwi Mart stores have a very poor selection of goods in stock since Big C took over. Or is it just the 2 stores that I have been in.
I asked at two stores and the seller told me Big C wants Kiwi to sell the old stock first before new stuff from Big C will come in. So far I haven't noticed any new products in Kiwi.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thai Giant Supermarket to Open in Chroy Changvar Satellite City
Big C Supermarket, Bangkok
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh) 26 May 2023- Thailand's Big C Supermarket, one of Thailand's largest grocery and general merchandise stores, will be opening in OCIC's Chroy Changvar satellite city.
The strategic cooperation agreement was signed between Big C and OCIC on 22 April 2023, and the USD50 million Big C supermarket will be ready for launch next to the Sovanmacha roundabout soon.

Big C Supermarket is Thailand's second largest supermarket operator, currently operating in four countries: Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. The company was founded by Central Group in 1993, and Big C Supermarket opened its first branch on Chaengwattana Road in Bangkok in 1994. To date, Big C Supermarket has a total of 153 stores in South East Asia.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Now PP has Big C super and a makro
bye bye to lucky and Bayon as far as prices go
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I love supermarkets in Cambodia and Thailand. Never too busy, easy to walk around, pleasant fellow customers, no line of 8 people at checkpout each with a supersized cart stuffed high with items to be beeped, friendly and efficient cashiers, no conveyor belt pushing your stuff into a pit and forcing you to pack and GTFO asap.

Beats me what the business case is to open more but keep 'em coming (from the customers' point of view).

Actually I like the Cambodian ones best, many of the Thai ones have got too big and shelves full of a million different formats of every product.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:46 pm Now PP has Big C super and a makro
I don't think so. Makro, mini big C and 7-eleven have all chosen not to undercut local prices but go with the Cambodian flow and enjoy the extra profit.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:17 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:46 pm Now PP has Big C super and a makro
I don't think so. Makro, mini big C and 7-eleven have all chosen not to undercut local prices but go with the Cambodian flow and enjoy the extra profit.
Granted its been a year since i was last in Markro but the prices were lower than Bayon, Lucky or Aeon supermarkets which makes them much lower than 7/11's Very high prices compared to Thailand's 7/11's for the same items.

also speaking for Thailand, Makro is about 10-15% cheaper than the Big C supers, which are slightly lower than 7/11's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

OCIC, Thai Big C announce ‘mega’ project for capital
Hong Raksmey | Publication date 01 October 2023 | 20:59 ICT

In a significant development for the nation’s retail industry, locally-run conglomerate Overseas Cambodian Investment Corporation (OCIC) and Thailand’s second-largest hypermarket operator Big C have solidified their partnership with a mega project just northeast of central Phnom Penh.

The partnership, formalised through a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on September 29, is geared towards the establishment of a Big C hypermarket on a 2.7ha plot adjacent to the Sovann Machha roundabout in OCIC’s “satellite city of Chroy Changvar”.

Key figures present at the signing ceremony included Pung Kheav Se, the chairman of Canadia Bank and OCIC, and Big C chief operating officer Gary Hardy. Also present were OCIC directors Lim Lina and Lim Lychin.

This collaboration, they said, not only underscores a commitment to Cambodia’s economic advancement but also demonstrates a dedication to promoting and supporting local businesses.

Hardy emphasised the significance of this agreement, stating that the signing ceremony has transformed their initial understanding into a legally binding commitment.

“Today is the formal signing of the legal documentation which will now be submitted to the land registry … While previously it was an understanding and a joint working partnership, today it has become a legal commitment, and the 30-year lease is now signed,” Hardy remarked.

“So, it’s more formal, it’s more legal, it’s more 100 per cent commitment. So that’s the fundamental difference,” he added.

Highlighting their commitment to Cambodia’s future, Hardy disclosed the investment Big C is making in the project.

The hypermarket, soon to break ground, will enhance the concept of shopping by offering a selection of fresh produce, dry goods and imported products in a space familiar to Big C shoppers.

“With our shared commitment to excellence consistent with the vision of our founder and chairman Pung Kheav Se, we aim to evolve the retail experience for residents by providing a wide range of high-quality products in a clean and spacious environment. This collaboration reflects OCIC’s dedication to driving economic growth and enhancing the well-being of the community we serve,” said Lychin.

Hardy noted that the anticipated investment in the construction was approximately $15 million. He mentioned their commitment to a 30-year lease, with an option to extend after 25 years, highlighting their long-term plans and the intention to stay well beyond the initial 30 years.

He mentioned Big C’s long-term commitment to Cambodia, citing their 30-year anniversary in Thailand as evidence of their dedication.

He also expressed pride in investing $15 million in the project, which is expected to create approximately 600 jobs, with a focus on promoting Cambodian brands in the city centre development.

“We want to become part of the community. We don’t just want to be a Wal-Mart who pops up in Germany and fills it with Americans. We want to build a long sustainable business here,” he said.

On the project’s timeline, Hardy revealed expectations that Big C will open its doors within 10 to 12 months.

The construction, typically taking around six to seven months, will result in a two-storey, 12,000sqm facility, with Big C occupying approximately 4,000sqm.

He also underscored their commitment to sourcing locally, working with Cambodian brands whenever possible.

“Our focus and priority will be bringing in as much local business as possible,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ct-capital
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Since Big C took over Kiwi Mart their businesses have had a very poor range of goods on the shelf, whereas Smile Markets have an excellent range and the one that I do go to is well organized . Yesterday I noticed even my local AEON [ Not AEON 1, 2, or 3 ] had a few empty shelves .
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Ozinasia wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:48 pm I believe cancer is referred to as the Big C pretty much world wide including Thailand (I lived there near on 10 years) in any case I said couldn't hurt didn't they they should :hattip:
No, it's not.

On a side Note: Is this enterprise at all related to the discount, semi-offbrand soda company?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic