What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Post by cautious colin »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:43 pm Khmer Grapefruit and Pomelo Salad with Grilled Shrimp
February 4, 2023

Khmer Grapefruit/ Pomelo Salad with Grilled Shrimp is a delicious refreshing salad, and it is very quick and easy to make.

For the dressing
1 tablespoon of sugar (you need sugar to make cut down the sour taste)
2 tablespoon of fish sauce
2 tablespoon of lime juice
2 Thai red chilies thinly slice
Mix the all the ingredients together set aside

For the Salad
2 Big grapefruit or one Pomelo peel take the seeds out and set aside
2 cups of chop Romaine lettuce
2 tablespoon of fry shallot (buy at the Asian store ready to use in a jar)
2 tablespoon of fry or roasted coconut flakes
2 tablespoon of roasted chopped peanut or any nut you like but make sure you roasted
Handful of mints or Thai Basil to garnish the salad

For the Grill Shrimp
1 1/2 cup of big shrimp or prawn
Marinate with 2 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt (I like the one from Costco it has parsley in it)
Let it marinate for an hour
Then grill until both sides turn pink for 4 minutes each side
Directions to make Khmer Grapefruit and Pomelo Salad with Grilled Shrimp

- First grill shrimps until both sides turn pink for 4 minutes each side
- When ready to serve arrange the salad on a serving plate with everything on it and drizzle with the dressing mix gently and top with mints or basil leaves and serve right away.
https://cambodiarecipe.com/recipe/khmer ... ed-shrimp/
Had a version of this salad many times. Dont ever remember having any lettuce leaves in there. Seems a strange addition. This does seem a very Americanised version of it.

Crispy onions/shallots are key. And unless the shrimp are absolute monsters they won't be needing 8 mins.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What is some of the best food in Cambodia? Or food that is traditional to Cambodia?

Post by John Bingham »

The version I've had a few times at the same place has all the pomelo broken up into vesicles. Very tasty but those bits are hard to pick up with chopsticks.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:The version I've had a few times at the same place has all the pomelo broken up into vesicles. Very tasty but those bits are hard to pick up with chopsticks.
The Chinese in you finally appears! I knew it was inside somewhere. Khmer usually prefer to eat with forks, Chinese Khmer maybe prefer using chopsticks more. I usually see forks being served at the Khmer parties I go to.

That dish looks delicious. I haven’t seen anyone make it here. Will have to look for it when I return.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:35 pm
John Bingham wrote:The version I've had a few times at the same place has all the pomelo broken up into vesicles. Very tasty but those bits are hard to pick up with chopsticks.
The Chinese in you finally appears! I knew it was inside somewhere. Khmer usually prefer to eat with forks, Chinese Khmer maybe prefer using chopsticks more. I usually see forks being served at the Khmer parties I go to.

That dish looks delicious. I haven’t seen anyone make it here. Will have to look for it when I return.
It's this restaurant, recommended. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:10 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:35 pm

It's this restaurant, recommended. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _Penh.html
Seconded. I really like that place.

@newkidontheblock house parties and weddings that I have been to often only have chopsticks and a soup spoon.

Always fun trying to pick up peanuts with chopsticks
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Eat here quite often and always take overseas visits there for a meal https://www.facebook.com/1960Kampot?ref ... rdc=1&_rdr

1960 in Kampot - authentic dishes from around the country with a bit of fusion - very reasonable prices and a large outdoor garden setting - recommended

In the photos of the link above is the menu
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Pork and rice - I miss it with a passion (no longer in Cambodia).

There’s also a terrine/loaf like prahok thing I miss eating with raw vegetables
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More suggestions:
Cambodian Food: 31 Authentic and Traditional Dishes to Sample
Last Updated August 21, 2023 by Jamie Scott
You should never miss Cambodian foods if you are really into Asian cuisine! They can be the most delicious dishes you have ever tasted! Read this article now to know some of the best food treats here in Cambodia!

Which one will be your favorite one among these Cambodian recipes? You’ll have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to foods in Cambodia! It is the heaven of delightful dishes with meat, soups, noodles, curry, and many more! Let’s come and see!
Table of Contents

Best Cambodian Dishes Including Fish And Meat
1. Lok Lak (Stir-Fried Beef In Brown Sauce)
2. Khor Ko (Khmer Beef Stew)
3. Char Kroeung Sach Moun (Stir-Fried Lemongrass Chicken)
4. Prahok Ktis (Fermented Fish Dip)
5. Twa Ko (Cambodian Sausage)
6. Bai Sach Chrouk (Grilled Pork And Rice)
7. Num Pang (Khmer Meat Sandwich)
8. Trei Boeng Kanh Chhet (Fried Fish In The Lake)
9. Pleah Sach Ko (Beef Ceviche)
10. Aluek Trei Ngeat (Dried Fish And Watermelon)
11. Kha Trei Svay Kchai (Caramelized Fish With Green Mango)
Most Delicious Cambodian Soups You Should Not Miss
12. Chrok Krao Chhnang (Out-Of-The-Pot Soup)
13. Samlor Machu Trey (Sweet And Sour Soup With Fish)
14. Samlor Korko (Cambodian Stirring Soup)
15. Sngor Chrouk Trey (Khmer Lemony Fish Soup)
Tempting Cambodian Curry Dishes For Food Lovers
16. Kari Sach Moan (Chicken Red Curry)
17. Amok Trei (Fish Curry In Banana Leaves)
18. Kari Saraman (Beef Saraman Curry)
Most Tasting Cambodian Noodles For Gourmets
19. Nom Banh Chok (Khmer Noodles)
20. Kuy Teav (Noodle Soup)
21. Mi Kola (Kola Noodles)
Intimidating-But-Delicious Cambodian Street Foods You Must Try!
22. Balut (Fertilized Eggs)
23. Kangkep Baob (Stuffed Frogs)
24. Tarantula (Fried Spider)
25. Fried Crickets
26. Scorpion On A Stick
Most Scrumptious Cambodian Traditional Desserts And Cakes For You
27. Num Ansom (Sticky Rice Cakes)
28. Nom Ka Chai (Chive Cakes)
29. Num Plae Ai (Palm Sugar Rice Dumplings)
30. Kralan (Sticky Rice Cake In Bamboo)
31. Sankhya Lapov (Pumpkin Custard)
https://www.lacademie.com/cambodian-food-guide/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic