Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by scott61 »

those new girls that were promised 'in a couple of weeks' still haven't turned up
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

scott61 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:03 pm those new girls that were promised 'in a couple of weeks' still haven't turned up
As that was 9 years ago, I'm thinking that those new girls have already found a barang husband, got two kids or more and have retired . Time moves on so fast.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

A 9 year old post...seriously?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:54 am A 9 year old post...seriously?
Our new necro poster is getting a taste for it after his first time.
post593106.html#p593106

This is how serial killers get started.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:59 am
Our new necro poster is getting a taste for it after his first time.
post593106.html#p593106

This is how serial killers get started.
oops... you got me there... :salut:

my next stage is to torture some kittens
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

not seriously
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

scott61 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:03 pm those new girls that were promised 'in a couple of weeks' still haven't turned up
Thanks for the progress report. Shouldn't be long, so maintain your post and it will be worth the wait, so you don't wanna miss out now.

Standby.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Blatant plug for new bar opening Thursday

Post by jah steu »

It’s certainly been an interesting nine years.
Angry Birds started after buying out the oddly named M Me bar. The Angry Birds name was suggested by a friend as a joke but I thought it was a great name. During the first few years countless tourists took photos of the bar’s signage as they were obviously amused by the name.
In the early days there were only six bars in street 130 (now there are 26). Those were the golden years in terms of profitability- we made the $32K cost of the bar/renovations/deposit back in profits in under a year.
About a year after opening, our US website host received a “cease and desist” letter from Rovio, the Finnish owner of the Angry Birds brand. We just moved the hosting to Sweden, where apparently the law is different! I’d tried to contact Rovio previously about licensing the name but they had replied that they were far too busy to consider it.
After five years the bar relocated 100m down the street as the previous landlord wouldn’t renew the lease.
The Covid years were horrendous business-wise. Like many other bars we re-licenced as a cafe but were still officially closed for 652 days. We opened unofficially for much of that time in speakeasy style, with the occasional police raid but to be fair to them they realised that the girls had no income at all and were desperate, so they ‘allowed’ us to open very quietly with no lights at all and subdued music.
During its nine years it’s had about 200 different staff work there.
Post Covid growth has been slower than expected for all bars - high airfares and reluctance of people to have overseas holidays has had a big impact. But we survive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

jah steu wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 pm It’s certainly been an interesting nine years.
Angry Birds started after buying out the oddly named M Me bar. The Angry Birds name was suggested by a friend as a joke but I thought it was a great name. During the first few years countless tourists took photos of the bar’s signage as they were obviously amused by the name.
In the early days there were only six bars in street 130 (now there are 26). Those were the golden years in terms of profitability- we made the $32K cost of the bar/renovations/deposit back in profits in under a year.
About a year after opening, our US website host received a “cease and desist” letter from Rovio, the Finnish owner of the Angry Birds brand. We just moved the hosting to Sweden, where apparently the law is different! I’d tried to contact Rovio previously about licensing the name but they had replied that they were far too busy to consider it.
After five years the bar relocated 100m down the street as the previous landlord wouldn’t renew the lease.
The Covid years were horrendous business-wise. Like many other bars we re-licenced as a cafe but were still officially closed for 652 days. We opened unofficially for much of that time in speakeasy style, with the occasional police raid but to be fair to them they realised that the girls had no income at all and were desperate, so they ‘allowed’ us to open very quietly with no lights at all and subdued music.
During its nine years it’s had about 200 different staff work there.
Post Covid growth has been slower than expected for all bars - high airfares and reluctance of people to have overseas holidays has had a big impact. But we survive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's all very interesting, but what about the new girls that didn't turn up nine years ago?

Seriously (for a change) it has always been one of my favourite bars, reading the reviews on Google most punters agree. Recently:

'Excellent Barang run bar, drink prices seem below many other bars. Honest cashier and some great looking girls. Loads of sofa space and good music system. Specials most nights.'

and this one translated from Chinese as:

'If you come here to drink, you must have the consciousness of being slaughtered. It is commonly known as cutting vegetables. Usually, it is more expensive if you are not a regular customer if you are drunk.'

来这里喝酒就要有被宰的觉悟,俗称砍菜头,通常看你喝醉了,不是熟客都会算贵一些

He/she gave it 4 out of 5 stars so it can't have had a literal meaning :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic