Solar 'E-toilet’ Project for Koh Rong

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Solar 'E-toilet’ Project for Koh Rong

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

‘Solar e-toilet’ project set for Preah Sihanouk’s Koh Rong
Sok Raksa | Publication date 18 May 2023 | 21:52 ICT

Cambodia and India signed a May 17 memorandum of understanding (MoU) for Indian Grant Assistance for an innovative solar e-toilet project on Koh Rong, an island in Preah Sihanouk province.

The MoU was co-signed by Van Monineath, head of the Ministry of Environment’s General Department of Policy and Strategy, and Indian ambassador to Cambodia Devyani Khobragade – in a ceremony presided over by Tin Ponlok, ministry secretary of state and second vice-president of the National Council for Sustainable Development (NCSD).

Khobragade said the project was being carried in cooperation with the Mekong-Ganga Cooperation, the Indian government’s support agency for developing countries. Through the scheme, India has so far provided funding for projects in 18 countries.

Ponlok thanked the Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for providing Cambodia with the grant to carry out the project, partly in response to climate change. He also reiterated Cambodia’s commitment to its long-term strategy for carbon neutrality.

He added that climate action is a priority for the Cambodian government, as it has tremendous implications for the people and economy of Cambodia. He noted that the Kingdom was the first developing country to set a goal for carbon neutrality by 2050.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-koh-rong
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Solar 'E-toilet’ Project for Koh Rong

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

So, what exactly are these "solar powered e-toilets" ?

Toilets That Use Solar power for Energy: For a Greener Tomorrow
[excerpts]
How does a solar composting toilet work?
Let’s begin by looking at the general composting process.

Composting toilets such as the Nature’s Head are able to recycle human waste in a similar way that your garden composter does. The toilet’s compost chamber is used for the decomposition process, while evaporation helps empty 90% of water from the solid material and return it back into our atmosphere.

A composting toilet is a simple-yet-complicated machine that must perform three separate processes to complete the decomposition of the waste.

First, the liquid and solid waste are broken down quickly without any odor thanks to natural bacteria that is present in the system.

Next, by letting it go through an extra step of heating before mixing with soil-building lime, you can be sure your finished product will be safe.

Finally, once all liquids have been evaporated from what’s left over after the composting process has run its course, you’re ready to spread out your home-made compost on the land as fertilizer!

Various manufacturers have tried many different methods and techniques to attain these aims, but none have been as effective as the Bio-drum, invented by Sun-Mar, who are the pioneers of the composting toilet business since the 1960s.

Now let’s take a look at how the solar energy comes into play with a composting toilet.

Well, it’s actually really simple! Solar panels collect sunlight and convert it into electricity which is used to power the toilet. This way there are no chemicals and it won’t consume lots of water.

Solar composting toilets work by incorporating a solar panel which then operates an electrochemical reactor, converting human waste into solids that can then be used as fertilizer and hydrogen that can saved and stored in fuel cells and used to power the reactor during periods of low, or no sunshine.

A pump returns recycled, cleansed water to a reservoir on the toilet’s container.

The toilet is entirely self-contained (meaning there is no sewer connection necessary) and can operate independently off the power grid.
The technology can cleanse wastewater in as little as three to four hours.

Despite sun-powered composting toilets being a pretty new and innovative invention, they are being tested and could be the future of a sustainable alternative to traditional flush toilets and another type of compost toilet.
If solar-powered toilets don’t sound like the right type for you, why not check out electric composting toilets or self-contained toilets?
Full article - long read: https://www.practically.green/compostin ... pes/solar/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I can’t stand india 🇮🇳 , almost as bad ( probly same as china 🇨🇳 in my opinion of course
I won’t get into one of them stupid indian 3 wheelers
Im not scared of dying but those are death traps 🪤 !

If I told you what I really think my post wouldn’t be approved
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:24 am If I told you what I really think my post wouldn’t be approved
Oh come on, what's the worst that can happen....
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic