Cheapest SIM Card

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
alohasan
Tourist
United States of America

Cheapest SIM Card

Post by alohasan »

Hello to all,

I would like to know whether one could help me navigate the SIM card question. I travel sometimes to Phnom Penh (2-3 times a year at most, maybe less) and I don't want to buy a new sim card each time I come, I was wondering if there is any SIM card that would be appropriate. I am basically looking for a SIM card with the following criterias if possible :

1- the cheapest SIM card (no need for Internet or data) to maintain in terms of validity
2- one you can extend the validity date easily from abroad (or even better, a SIM card that doesn't have a validity date, or at least a long one (several months or 1 year)). By easily I mean, extend from abroad with an international credit card (for ex, not linked to a cambodian bank account since I dont have one)
3- one SIM that can receive SMS and calls when NOT in Cambodia as well

Thank you all very much. I'm really lost as I'm not familiar with how things work there.

Look forward to hearing all your feedback.

Thank you again very much.

Cheers,

Jean
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Cheapest SIM Card

Post by Jerry Atrick »

alohasan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:04 pm Hello to all,

I would like to know whether one could help me navigate the SIM card question. I travel sometimes to Phnom Penh (2-3 times a year at most, maybe less) and I don't want to buy a new sim card each time I come, I was wondering if there is any SIM card that would be appropriate. I am basically looking for a SIM card with the following criterias if possible :

1- the cheapest SIM card (no need for Internet or data) to maintain in terms of validity
2- one you can extend the validity date easily from abroad (or even better, a SIM card that doesn't have a validity date, or at least a long one (several months or 1 year)). By easily I mean, extend from abroad with an international credit card (for ex, not linked to a cambodian bank account since I dont have one)
3- one SIM that can receive SMS and calls when NOT in Cambodia as well

Thank you all very much. I'm really lost as I'm not familiar with how things work there.

Look forward to hearing all your feedback.

Thank you again very much.

Cheers,

Jean
A sim just costs a dollar, so there's no cheaper option than buying a new sim every time one arrives

However, for $2 every 90 days you can have a Smart "xtra long package" that doesn't expire

Open data roaming BEFORE leaving Cambodia and that sim will work internationally. Stick a few dollars in any local bank and you can top up worldwide through the app of that bank, alternatively there are websites that allow you to top up any companies sim from anywhere also

Other networks no doubt have similar plans, doubtless at the same price too
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Tend to agree on that one:
https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/xtralong/

Also you can top up with any Visa/MC, so no need to worry about local bank either:
https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/onli ... d#bankCard

Keep track of the status using the SmartNas app (Android/ipHone), job done.

Then it comes down to where you go when you're here. Seems to me Smart has the best overall coverage for an expat/tourist, Cellcard however does perform better deep indoors for me (frequency/concrete related), but if you're going far out into the boonies then Metfone would come into its own.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Spigzy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:46 pm Tend to agree on that one:

Also you can top up with any Visa/MC, so no need to worry about local bank either:

Then it comes down to where you go when you're here. Seems to me Smart has the best overall coverage for an expat/tourist, Cellcard however does perform better deep indoors for me (frequency/concrete related), but if you're going far out into the boonies then Metfone would come into its own.
You should see my cap 🧢 ,
I finally found one of those nice green “ smart “ cap on the street and picked it up
I love the colour ..
I added under the word “ Smart “. Smart Is stupid
I wear that now ..
I wish I could add the photo ..
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Spigzy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:46 pm Tend to agree on that one:

Does anyone know if this Smart XtraLong plan is still working? I am looking for the activation code. There is some mention of it here https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/traveller-sim/ but when you click the link in that page it does not show anything about Smart Xtra Long.

Maybe it was discontinued? Or else Smart is just not publicizing it.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

SIM cards are cheap as chips.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Cheapest SIM Ca

Post by Freightdog »

Smart rejigged all their plans a while back. I can’t remember any of the names except Laor Data6, which I’m using. $6 for 1 month? I think. Maybe.
Smart are convenient if you can run an E-sim, as that can be done online, without ever visiting their outlets.
Just have all the ID docs and stuff available. Sign up. From that side, they’re better sorted than Cellcard.

Out in our area of the province, though, Smart coverage is bad, irrespective of what their map says.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:41 am Smart rejigged all their plans a while back. I can’t remember any of the names except Laor Data6, which I’m using. $6 for 1 month? I think. Maybe.
Smart are convenient if you can run an E-sim, as that can be done online, without ever visiting their outlets.
Just have all the ID docs and stuff available. Sign up. From that side, they’re better sorted than Cellcard.

Out in our area of the province, though, Smart coverage is bad, irrespective of what their map says.
Yeah, we're looking for the long term SIM for when we are out of the country. So we can receive text messages to access accounts.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:05 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:41 am Smart rejigged all their plans a while back. I can’t remember any of the names except Laor Data6, which I’m using. $6 for 1 month? I think. Maybe.

Yeah, we're looking for the long term SIM for when we are out of the country. So we can receive text messages to access accounts.
Mine is international. If I keep it topped up, then I receive SMS overseas. In most places that I’ve been to in the last 18months, it works as an international number. But, maybe not as reliably as my UK number.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:27 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:05 am

Mine is international. If I keep it topped up, then I receive SMS overseas. In most places that I’ve been to in the last 18months, it works as an international number. But, maybe not as reliably as my UK number.
I think you mean you have roaming.

Does any one have updated info on Smart Xtra Long?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic