Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is Sharky bar open or closed and do they owe staff back pay?

Post by John Bingham »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:11 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 am F
When I got here in 2017 Sharkey's was the go-to place on Friday nights, and you were lucky to get a table passed 9pm if you had a group of 4-8 people.

Considering it was well into its decline already by 2002 * and had its decor and atmosphere totally destroyed the previous year - ust goes to show how far it has fallen
Ftfy.

*Was it not around 2002 (?) when all the Khmer staff went on strike and Big Mike decided it was time to gentrify the place in keeping with the new customer demographic (which encouraged Shanghai to also prudently change their business model) ?

Cue an older hand to note that it was already spoiled in the 90s.

In reality, we all accept places as they are when we first encounter them and use that as the yardstick we judge them by.
It was originally called The Lido and was a hang out for Legionnaires. I didn't notice any big change from 1999-2005. It was still full of Vietnamese freelancers. It was some years later that it became more of a live music venue and the crowd became more mixed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I came first to PP in 2013 and Sharkeys was my first love and will always be, Big Mike died this week 7 years ago already, he was a nice guy and knew how to run a bar, but his bussiness was going down badly already before he died. When they re-opened after it was cleaned up, it not really went up good, Chris (also RIP) was the manager and did his best but it never reached the "glory-years". Probably the real owner is asking ridiculous amount of money for the lease every month, but it is also a big place, its 7 units long i checked lately. And of course the staff makes the place, and the music. And the last thai-girl didnt pay the music and the staff, then there is now way of return. Hope to be back in PP in 4 months and see a rocking Sharkeys again, but i doubt it !!

The last words from Big Mike on the stage: he died the day after in the office from Sharkeys . . .

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:11 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 am F
When I got here in 2017 Sharkey's was the go-to place on Friday nights, and you were lucky to get a table passed 9pm if you had a group of 4-8 people.

Considering it was well into its decline already by 2002 * and had its decor and atmosphere totally destroyed the previous year - ust goes to show how far it has fallen
Ftfy.

*Was it not around 2002 (?) when all the Khmer staff went on strike and Big Mike decided it was time to gentrify the place in keeping with the new customer demographic (which encouraged Shanghai to also prudently change their business model) ?

Cue an older hand to note that it was already spoiled in the 90s.

In reality, we all accept places as they are when we first encounter them and use that as the yardstick we judge them by.
While that's true, by any yardstick it was best before the demise of Big Mike

Will totally check out its latest incarnation though, next time I'm on 130
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

There wasn’t anything going on when I was there a little over a week ago. Very nice place, but for $5 drinks should have a little more going on.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I arrived to PP in Apr 2017. There were still a few good jams on Sundays, meet many PP musicians there. After renovation place lost its charm.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic