Expedia Just Swallowed Travelocity Whole... Burp

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Expedia Just Swallowed Travelocity Whole... Burp

Post by wackyjacky »

Got 'er cheap too -$280M. Too bad, Travelocity has been throwing 20-30% discount codes out there the last year or so. You're lucky to get a 10%er from Expedia. They own Hotels.com, Trivago, Venere, & Hotwire as well. I can't envision a scenario where this is a good thing. ps: Just switched links Richard. Sorry dude. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ ... n-in-cash/
Last edited by wackyjacky on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Expedia Just Swallowed Travelocity Whole... Burp

Post by phuketrichard »

To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Log In

blaahhhhhh
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Never been a big fan of Expedia. I've only booked a single flight with them as they tend to be more expensive than the competition.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Never been a big fan of Expedia. I've only booked a single flight with them as they tend to be more expensive than the competition.
I pretty much only use 'em for flight-hotel combos to BKK. You can do pretty well w.those, since you can book Air Asia on Expedia Singapore. Their sister, Hotels.com is often competitive on prices when Expedia isn't. ps: Forgot to mention the $50 Best Rate Guarantee scam I used to pull. I'd look on Hotelscombined, find a hotel cheaper on some other site, take a screenshot, book w/Expedia, call them to tell them it's cheaper on Orbitz or whatever, then they keep you on hold while verifying, then they match prices & give you a $50 credit. I would then cancel the booking, but the credit stayed. You can still do it, but they keep you on hold a LONG time, you can't cancel & keep the credit, & you can only pull it 3X per month now.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

they bought Wotif as well
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have always preferred Kayak and Matrix for airlines thna go the airline site and double check

for hotels; Priceline ( which owns agoda and Bookings.com) an hotelscombined
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Hotelscombined is good, but they don't include Travelocity or the Orbitz Family. Priceline is great for the States, but completely worthless for Asia. Roomer is another up & comer. There's hellacious deals on there occasionally.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

thats why they brought agoda ( asia centered) an bookings,com ( europe & asia) LOL

I set up an ran the affiliate program for Agoda ( started as planet holiday back in 99)
Michael, the owner, walked away in 2007 with over $$40 million!!

Hotel online is a HUGE business
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Yeah I remember Planet Holiday & when Agoda ate them. Hipmunk is worth a look sometimes too as it checks a lot of sites that you wouldn't normally. I've done pretty well on PL by using Better Bidding and Bidding for Travel, but perhaps the best Priceline deals I gotten were on Rent-A-Cars.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

This is more bad news for consumers. The more competitors, the better for us.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic