10 of the Best Cocktail Bars in Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 10 of the Best Cocktail Bars in Phnom Penh

Post by cabron »

scott61 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:05 am Are the girls "hands-on" inside the bars ?
No girls at least in the one I visited (Sora Sky bar, Prei, Elephant Bar) all the bars listed in this post have a different orientation.
Boredom is like a shroud
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

On the rare occasion I fancy a cocktail, I go to Oscar's on 104. Top quality cocktails nicely presented and at very reasonable prices. No skimping on the ingredients. Free live music after 10pm.

In the bar trade globally, I believe cocktails are generally seen as a good moneymaker, especially where labour is cheap. The markup on the ingredients s high and it's easy to skimp or substitute ingredients.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:48 am
MelissaEinsel wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:26 pm Hi there,
Mélissa here, author of the article.
Could the moderators kindly leave the link and remove the cut-and-paste text to avoid infringing TravelMag copyright? Happy for you to reprint the list ans link to the article but all the text and the photos are intellectual property of TravelMag.com.
Hope you enjoy trying out the bars!

https://www.travelmag.com/articles/cock ... hnom-penh/
I removed some of the text and added your link at the end of every paragraph. And don't worry about the images, they are just embedded from the original location on TravelMag. And not to split hairs, but I assure that not a single one of those photos are the intellectual property of TravelMag, as each one of them have clearly been taken from other websites.

Great article, and feel free to post any other articles you write that would be of interest to expats in Cambodia (with a valuable link, of course) here on CEO in any format/style you like!
here are all the websites that have the Sora Sky Bar photo on their website.

I didnt check the others given the extensive list of websites using the first photo I checked.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

cabron wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:53 am
scott61 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:05 am Are the girls "hands-on" inside the bars ?
No girls at least in the one I visited (Sora Sky bar, Prei, Elephant Bar) all the bars listed in this post have a different orientation.
I see. Ladyboys.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

These are cocktail bars, why the hell would you expect you could molest the staff? Have some decorum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 am
These are cocktail bars, why the hell would you expect you could molest the staff? Have some decorum.
Not expecting, just wondering. It's in the name.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I’d never considered the etymology of the word cocktail before. From wikip
Liberman summarizes as follows:[17]

It was customary to dock the tails of horses that were not thoroughbred [...] They were called cocktailed horses, later simply cocktails. By extension, the word cocktail was applied to a vulgar, ill-bred person raised above his station, assuming the position of a gentleman but deficient in gentlemanly breeding. [...] Of importance [in the 1806 citation above] is [...] the mention of water as an ingredient. [...] Låftman concluded that cocktail was an acceptable alcoholic drink, but diluted, not a "purebred", a thing "raised above its station". Hence the highly appropriate slang word used earlier about inferior horses and sham gentlemen.
Cocktail historian David Wondrich also speculates that "cocktail" is a reference to gingering, a practice for perking up an old horse by means of a ginger suppository so that the animal would "cock its tail up and be frisky."[18]
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

violet wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:41 am I’d never considered the etymology of the word cocktail before. From wikip
Liberman summarizes as follows:[17]

It was customary to dock the tails of horses that were not thoroughbred [...] They were called cocktailed horses, later simply cocktails. By extension, the word cocktail was applied to a vulgar, ill-bred person raised above his station, assuming the position of a gentleman but deficient in gentlemanly breeding. [...] Of importance [in the 1806 citation above] is [...] the mention of water as an ingredient. [...] Låftman concluded that cocktail was an acceptable alcoholic drink, but diluted, not a "purebred", a thing "raised above its station". Hence the highly appropriate slang word used earlier about inferior horses and sham gentlemen.
Cocktail historian David Wondrich also speculates that "cocktail" is a reference to gingering, a practice for perking up an old horse by means of a ginger suppository so that the animal would "cock its tail up and be frisky."[18]
So everybody stop feigning refinement. A cocktail wasn't always a posh drink. As Liberman summarised and look at the rootage myself: randy horses such as stallions and mares in estrous have their tails up. 'Cock your tail up' became an expression, and a frisky drink made by mixing the bottles dregs came to be called a cocktail. Get some beer down your neck.

NB I have barfined a girl from... zero cocktail bars and never had a decent pint of draught in one.

BTW anyone know the going rate for a barfine in these sorts of places?
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Please keep the bar fine silliness in some other thread. The cocktail bars mentioned here aren't girl bars. Many of them do a mighty fine cocktail though.

For me uniga in the very back of the basaac lane alley and the most creative but also delicious ones from the half of the list I've been to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic