Kampot Buffalo Backpacker bus allegation of $35,000 investment scam and hookers and jacuzzi

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Kampot Buffalo Backpacker bus allegation of $35,000 investment scam and hookers and jacuzzi

Post by Doc67 »

BuffaloBackpackerBus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:49 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 am @BuffaloBackpackerBus

- Geoff's lawyer has said she wont represent him if I take my complaint to police/courts as he can't answer to certain inconsistencies in his claims against me...

How do you know that?
Because she told my lawyer so. We asked her for a statement in the event that Geoff couldn't answer for the inconsistencies in his account. She can't represent him if she knows that his version of events are untrue. I pointed out and evidenced all the areas where he was obviously lying, fake expense claims for jobs I paid for etc.
Fair enough. If she is honest and professional enough to refuse to present a knowingly false defence, then I am pleasantly surprised. I am also surprised that she shared that information with your counsel, it seems to be a significant revelation for you. If I was Geoff, I would not be happy about this breach of confidentiality.

Anyway, it seems like your case is progressing along the long road to justice. With these types of small claims cases, determination and tenacity are essential. Most people write off losses as the full scale of the uphill journey dawns on them. You seem to have the required motivation to see it through.

If you are correct in your claims, Geoff may eventually start to run out of road. What is the timeline for getting this matter before a judge?

Finally, you might want to consider what would be an acceptable outcome for you. A judgement in your favour that is unenforceable - for whatever reason - may be seen as a Pyrrhic victory. Don't let this matter consume you, life is too short.

Good luck.
BuffaloBackpackerBus
Tourist

Re: Kampot Buffalo Backpacker bus allegation of $35,000 investment scam and hookers and jacuzzi

Post by BuffaloBackpackerBus »

It was luck on my part and stupidity on Geoff's. After my representation presented him with my claims and a series of questions that needed answering to explain the inconsistencies in Geoff's account, Geoff shot back with counter-claims, changed the reason he wished to exit the agreement, and presented a litany of phony expenses. This statement was delivered via his lawyer. His statement is the one in my previous post with all the pictures in.

Since Geoff had presented his 1 page statement with unevidenced expenses to us in English, I responded by presenting to his lawyer my entire 55 page claim, with evidence, and evidenced expenses, also in English. We highlighted 1 particular 1,500 USD expense where it was obvious that I had actually paid this and said that it looks to us that she's conspiring with Geoff to extort me out of more money and that any further claims from them need to be evidenced. We also said that all of the inconsistencies across my case need to be answered for, and that if they can't be answered for we would like a statement from his lawyer explaining why Geoff wasn't able to explain blatant inconsistencies and fraudulent expense claims. And finally we said that if they were not able to answer for these inconsistencies, and if she continued to represent Geoff, we would be alleging that she is conspiring with him to extort me.

As for a timeline. Not so sure. I'm very new to this but we believe that since mine and Geoff's agreement was never signed into effect, and he refused to have it signed into effect, then he has essentially just scammed or stolen from me. So we believe that this is a criminal case, not a civil case.

My complaint for the police, which is just the criminal accusations and evidence, has been translated by professionals and will be being submitted this week hopefully.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

BuffaloBackpackerBus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:52 am
Alex wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:36 am
BuffaloBackpackerBus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:04 am
Alex wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:36 pm Did you have a work permit to "work the Greenboat bar"? Or did you just steal what's a job that could easily be done by a local employee?
Aside from Geoff's marketing duo and his 1 maintenance guy, Arcadia employs an entirely Cambodian staff. Geoff doesn't take on backpacker volunteers. When I helped at Arcadia I only ever helped if the bar staff were overwhelmed, and then I would prioritise glass collecting and washing up.

On the Greenboat I worked the bar because otherwise Sokom would be doing the barbecue and the bar.

In both cases these jobs were often done by Geoff's Cambodian staff without me, with no help, and no extra staff. I did it only to take some pressure off of the existing staff. So no, categorically I was not taking any local jobs, I was not on any schedule, and I was not being paid. Arcadia continually took on Cambodian staff as it got busier, at no time did they not take someone on because of the voluntary help I was giving. I also regularly paid staff salaries when Sokom was short, and loaned Geoff money to literally keep the lights on at Arcadia.

Do you have any questions that aren't loaded in such a way as to try to make me look like the criminal here? If I have broken the law in any way I will more than happily hold my hands up and accept responsibility.

Now, since I've repeatedly answered any questions, and have evidenced my entire case to the admin here, is it such a stretch to believe my story is true?
I have no problem believing that your story is true; it might very well be. I just try to understand if the parties involved are business professionals, scam artists or hapless chancers. At this point I can rule out "business professionals", for all parties involved.

At the very least, you failed to do due diligence and you have a complete disregard for procedure. If your adversary had a masterplan to scam you or if he's just a hapless chancer as well, who knows.
Coming from the guy whose sage advice was 'don't give money to random dudes', I'll take your thinly veiled but opaquely ignorant victim-blaming with a pinch of salt.
I'm not given you advice, I'm mocking you and your complete lack of business sense. Carry on though. Unless your adversary chips in as well, there's no more entertainment for me to be had from this thread anymore.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Buddy, I'd just like you to know since it doesn't seem you've realized it now

Everyone here is just giving you a windup and it honestly doesn't look good on your part, so I'd suggest just following up with the lawyer and keeping it to yourself until it's over with
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If you have genuinely been scammed then I am sorry that someone sought to take advantage of you.
But... before you submit anything to the police or other authorities, I would suggest you make sure you are squeaky clean on your immigration/visa/FPCS status, not just now but during all the times you were working/doing business/investing etc, otherwise this could come back to bite you.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The New Zealand man at the heart of these allegations of fraud, has been shot in Kampot.
New Zealand Man Shot in Kampot, Allegedly Over Bad Debt
newsworthy/new-zealand-man-shot-kampot- ... 54821.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:46 pm The New Zealand man at the heart of these allegations of fraud, has been shot in Kampot.
dam; that's some justice and wonder who ordered the hit>

Lets go CEO: speculation time :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:45 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:46 pm The New Zealand man at the heart of these allegations of fraud, has been shot in Kampot.
dam; that's some justice and wonder who ordered the hit>

Lets go CEO: speculation time :beer3:
Where did you see this? Cant find anything online other than here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Well, considering Geoff and Sokohm are involved the question becomes; which bad debt was the incident over?

Geoff also had the shit kicked outta him a week or so ago by some other angry folk I heard today, down the pub, ofc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic