The utter minefield of health insurance.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The utter minefield of health insurance.

Post by Bluenose »

I use Cigna but with a deductible of approx $6000 and a cost share for the next $10000. What I'm insuring myself against is an event that would involve a stupid amount of money and wipe out a massive chunk of my retirement funds.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:42 pm I use Cigna but with a deductible of approx $6000 and a cost share for the next $10000. What I'm insuring myself against is an event that would involve a stupid amount of money and wipe out a massive chunk of my retirement funds.
Whats the premium in such circumstances?
work is for people who cant find truffles
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

It would be helpful for people to list

Coverage provider name
Your age (don't be shy)
Coverage type (hospital, outpatient, etc)
Premium cost
Have you filled a claim
Was the claim paid by the provider

This info would help those shopping for coverage.

Sent from my SM-T570 using Tapatalk

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:16 pm
Bluenose wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:42 pm I use Cigna but with a deductible of approx $6000 and a cost share for the next $10000. What I'm insuring myself against is an event that would involve a stupid amount of money and wipe out a massive chunk of my retirement funds.
Whats the premium in such circumstances?
GBP 1260 per year at the moment, I'm late 50's but have been with them claim free for 8 years.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:09 pm
Thanks for the advice. I think you may have got lucky there. According to the government website, in order to qualify for free NHS treatment after living abroad, you have to show evidence that you have moved back to the UK on a permanent basis, such as a rental agreement for your address and domestic bills in your name with a UK address.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-n ... -in-the-uk
I moved back to the UK, registered with a GP, had a contract for the room that I rented at a hotel, reregistered on the electoral register, opened a bank account with a High Street bank and had bills with my name and address for a mobile phone account. All that took me about 2 weeks to complete and not one person ever asked me to produce any of these documents!
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

BklynBoy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:22 am
schlarry wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:35 am I used Bupa Blue Cross and they paid everything for a week in hospital, private ward.

I moved to Aetna and they did the same. The nurse brought me a wine list!
this was while you were in Cambodia? which hospital took the insurance?
Bupa blue cross was in Thailand. Severe dengue fever.

Aetna registration was in Cambodia, but the incident happened in Kenya. No problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic