Five Teenagers Went To The River; Only Four Came Back

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Five Teenagers Went To The River; Only Four Came Back

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 3:30 pm on 22 April 2023 in Sangkat Chak Angre Krom, Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh, a group of five boys and girls went down to the river for a swim after school.
A woman at the scene said she saw the students playing happily in the river, but then one of the girls slipped and fell into a deep pool of water. She couldn't swim, and even though her friends tried to save her, she sank into the water and drowned. The kids shouted for help, and a fisherman came along in his boat to search for the girl. He dived into the water and recovered the girl's body. She was 15 year old Nith Satya, a student at Chak Angre Krom School, in Phnom Penh.
The fisherman went to report the drowning to the authorities, who called the childrens' parents to come to pick them up the police station. The forensic police were notified, and after they examined the body, they confirmed that the girl died from drowning. The body was then handed over to the family for a traditional ceremony at Chak Angre Krom pagoda. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Five Teenagers Went To The River; Only Four Came Back

Post by David Gordon »

Always shocking to hear - these drownings are so common in a land of water pools. Is it because they have 0 fat on their bodies they sink like a stone?
Stay classy na
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:07 am Always shocking to hear - these drownings are so common in a land of water pools. Is it because they have 0 fat on their bodies they sink like a stone?
I think not being able to swim would be the main factor.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:53 am
David Gordon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:07 am Always shocking to hear - these drownings are so common in a land of water pools. Is it because they have 0 fat on their bodies they sink like a stone?
I think not being able to swim would be the main factor.
Is there not a basic instinctive response that a person can utilize to stay up a wee bit - at least before getting exhausted? I see videos of infants that can swim.
Stay classy na
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

David Gordon wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:09 am
Is there not a basic instinctive response that a person can utilize to stay up a wee bit - at least before getting exhausted? I see videos of infants that can swim.
It doesn't generally work like that. If a person hasn't learned how to float, paddle or swim they will often just sink below the depths with little fanfare. :cry:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:40 am
David Gordon wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:09 am
It doesn't generally work like that. If a person hasn't learned how to float, paddle or swim they will often just sink below the depths with little fanfare. :cry:
so sad. Glad my mother took up for swim lessons every summer and also our grade 5 class also went for some. It should be essential learning.
Stay classy na
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I taught our older two kids to swim. Getting over the language barrier took some doing. The biggest impediment was getting them to relax. Instead, they’d go rigid, or squirm when they got uncomfortable. The next step would be sinking. Once they had they confidence to relax, the rest started to fall into place pretty quickly.

If you’re already shocked, surprised, or just well out of your comfort zone, relaxing is the last thing on your mind. A couple of frantic gulps of water, and it’s pretty much over if there’s no one else to intervene. That goes for reasonably confident swimmers, too.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:03 am I taught our older two kids to swim. Getting over the language barrier took some doing. The biggest impediment was getting them to relax. Instead, they’d go rigid, or squirm when they got uncomfortable. The next step would be sinking. Once they had they confidence to relax, the rest started to fall into place pretty quickly.

If you’re already shocked, surprised, or just well out of your comfort zone, relaxing is the last thing on your mind. A couple of frantic gulps of water, and it’s pretty much over if there’s no one else to intervene. That goes for reasonably confident swimmers, too.
I agree. if you're not comfortable in the water you'll never be a decent swimmer.

I've taught a few people to swim over the years, mostly in Asia where they grew up being taught to fear water. I'd always start with getting them comfortable just playing in shallow water - being able to play in the water breaks down a lot of barriers. When you know that if you're flopping around helpless in the water all you need to do is stand up, you're a lot more relaxed about putting your face in the water, then learning to float. Confidence is everything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic