need help to understand E visa

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ppjp
Tourist
United States of America

need help to understand E visa

Post by ppjp »

Been reading more then I care for about Cambodian visas, am all :facepalm:

Can anyone help me get to grips?

If I got it right, upon flying into cambodia you cross E and not T on the form, and pay the $35 fee.
You then have 30 days.
During those 30 days you scramble the paperwork and go to the Phnom Penh visa office across the street from the airport in order to extend the E into an EB for a year.

Which paperwork do they require for freelancers looking to set up shop in Cambodia? Like, how would a freelancer wanting to incorporate in Cambodia get an invitation letter or a letter of employment?

Which visa office exactly? Last I was across the airport to extend the T visa it had two desks: one for overstay and exit, one for extending the T. I didn't see any other desk for extending the E or fulfilling paperwork obligations?

I'm all :BangHead:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: need help to understand E visa

Post by Doc67 »

ppjp wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 am Been reading more then I care for about Cambodian visas, am all :facepalm:

If I got it right, upon flying into cambodia you cross E and not T on the form, and pay the $35 fee.
You then have 30 days.
During those 30 days you scramble the paperwork and go to the Phnom Penh visa office across the street from the airport in order to extend the E into an EB for a year.

Which paperwork do they require for freelancers looking to set up shop in Cambodia? Like, how would a freelancer wanting to incorporate in Cambodia get an invitation letter or a letter of employment?

Which visa office exactly? Last I was across the airport to extend the T visa it had two desks: one for overstay and exit, one for extending the T. I didn't see any other desk for extending the E or fulfilling paperwork obligations?

How is your Khmer? Non existent? Use an agent.

Only the hardiest and most experienced in the ways of Cambodian bureaucracy would go near the DOI and try and do it themselves, especially without a perfect set of paperwork. The system is set up to use agents, who earn a fee and share that fee with the people in the office. They fill in the gaps and holes in your application and make it complete.

Do yourself a favour and go with the flow.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:41 am
ppjp wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 am Been reading more then I care for about Cambodian visas, am all :facepalm:

You then have 30 days.

How is your Khmer? Non existent? Use an agent.

Only the hardiest and most experienced in the ways of Cambodian bureaucracy would go near the DOI and try and do it themselves, especially without a perfect set of paperwork. The system is set up to use agents, who earn a fee and share that fee with the people in the office. They fill in the gaps and holes in your application and make it complete.

Do yourself a favour and go with the flow.
This bit in particular makes it sound like it will all be a piece of cake.

"Which paperwork do they require for freelancers looking to set up shop in Cambodia? Like, how would a freelancer wanting to incorporate in Cambodia get an invitation letter or a letter of employment?"
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I have only posted this about a dozen times, so here it is again.

Here is a basic summary for general Foreigners wishing to stay long term, work, retire, study, etc...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa. $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month. (Note: this Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa). There are no supporting documentation requirements for the majority of Nationalities, no passport picture is required. Ensure that you have the Visa fee in crisp, new, clean USD bills, preferably exact change.

Update: With effect 12th Jan 2023, the E-type (Ordinary) Visa can also be applied for online in advance by all Nationalities on the official www.evisa.gov.kh website. Note that certain Nationalities have different supporting documentation requirements.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time for EOS applications, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.

Enforcement of Visa Extension of Stay requirements with effect 17th October 2022.

- If you arrive with an E-type (Ordinary) Visa and want to apply for a 12 mth EB (Business) EOS, you are required to have a copy of your Work Permit card, Employment Letter and Companies Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have a Work Permit then you are only allowed to apply for a 6 mth EB EOS, you must have your Employement Letter and Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have an Employment Letter then you are only allowed to apply for a 3 month EP (Proposal) EOS which you can then change to an EB EOS once you have secured a Work Permit and Employment Letter with copy of the Patent Tax License.

- All subsequent EB EOS applications will require Work Permit, Employment Letter and Patent Tax License.

- Those legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, who do not work and aren't eligible for, or don't want, an ER EOS, they can still apply for the EB EOS based on marriage without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- Those applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent spouse of their foreign husband/wife can still apply without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- EG (General) EOS only available for 1 or 3 months, no more 6 month options.

- You can no longer convert from an EG EOS to any other EOS category in country.

Most of the above aren't actually policy changes, just stricter enforcement of the correct Immigration policy (Sub Decree 123)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

So in summary, as a freelancer you need to register a sole proprietorship business with the MoC and register with the Tax Department to be able to work and live here legally... what many people do though is just go through a dodgy Visa agency and pay extra for them to provide the necessary supporting documentation in order to facilitate your EB EOS application and Work Permit application.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh...and for those who are Hardy enough and want to apply for the EB EOS directly at the DoI Visa Office, this is the official list of supporting documentation requirements...

1. Valid Business Certificate of Incorporation (Ministry of Commerce) - Copy with original company MoC stamp
2. Valid Tax Patent (Department of Tax) - Copy with original company MoC stamp
3. Foreign Employee Quota (MoLVT) - Copy with original company MoC stamp
4. Official Employment Contract (approved by MoLVT) - Copy with original company MoC stamp
5. Valid Foreigner Work Permit (MoLVT) - Copy with original company MoC stamp
5 - Official Letter of Employment (issued by employer) - original company MoC stamp
6 - Company's Employee List/Book - Copy with original company MoC stamp
7 - Valid passport
8 - 1x Passport pic
9 - completed EOS application form (completed by applicant)
10 - Certificate of Residence issued by Sangkat
11 - Must be checked in on FPCS by landlord
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic