Have you experienced bad air turbulence? (video)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Have you experienced bad air turbulence? (video)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

violet
Expatriate

Re: Have you experienced bad air turbulence? (video)

Post by violet »

I hope the stewardess didn’t break her neck
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m always astounded at the thought processes of people who strongly object to, even openly refusing to wearing seatbelts. Here’s a reason why we do. That video shows a pretty short event, and while the hostie probably had a headache and sore neck, she probably was ok.
There have been a few well reported events resulting in severe injuries, permanently life changing.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:01 pm
There have been a few well reported events resulting in severe injuries, permanently life changing.
How often on average do pilots experience moderate to severe air turbulence?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:05 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:01 pm
How often on average do pilots experience moderate to severe air turbulence?
Severe is rare. That is, what properly constitutes severe turbulence, which is that it impacts controllability of the aircraft.
Some slightly boring stuff, I believe this is the ICAO definition
Light: Effects are less than those of moderate intensity.

Moderate: There may be moderate changes in aircraft attitude and/or height but the aircraft remains in control at all times. Air speed variations are usually small. Changes in accelerometer readings of 0.5-­1.0g at the aircraft’s centre of gravity. Occupants feel strain against seat belts. There is difficulty in walking. Loose objects move about.

Severe: Abrupt changes in aircraft attitude and/or height. The aircraft may be out of control for short periods. Air speed variations are usually large. Changes in accelerometer readings greater than 1.0 g at the aircraft’s centre of gravity (but note, Military aviators regard +4g/­2g as severe. Occupants are forced against seat belts. Loose objects are tossed about.

Extreme: Effects are more pronounced than for severe intensity.
Broadly speaking, (and it can be subjective)
Many pilots engaged in jet airline flying will experience some severe turbulence.
Most will frequently encounter moderate turbulence.

Certain meteorological conditions do present greater turbulence, beyond the obvious stuff.
Jetstreams, mountain wave, rotors, tropical storms

Windshear and wake turbulence can be more concerning, as those also often combine with lower altitudes closer to destination.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I experienced serious turbulence twice. Once in a Tupolev 154 aircraft from Vienna to Sofia. After take off from Vienna, at about cruise altitude the plane suddenly dropped like a stone. It didn't last that long, maybe 10 seconds. But after a few seconds someone started to scream, and the next second ten people screamed... And the plane dropped a few more seconds so more and more passengers joined the screaming choir. Pretty scary. After the event we climbed back to our cruising altitude and the rest of the flight was uneventful. The pilot never told us what happened or came with an explanation.
The second time was on a flight from Istanbul to Amsterdam. During the flight over Central Europe the plane was kicked up- and downwards but mainly sideways, making for a very uncomfortable ride. Because we were warned by the pilots and there was a pattern in the movements, it wasn't that scary even though the plane's movements were pretty wild.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

My worst flight was from Kupang, Timor, to Denpasar, Bali, on the now defunct Indonesian Bouraq Airlines in a plane similar to the one pictured above.

It was shitty weather for part of the flight and the plane hiccuped, shuddered and shook for about fifteen minutes or so with a couple of bangs. The cockpit door didn’t fasten so it swung open and shut giving you snapshots of the pilots up front who seemed to be wrestling with the controls a bit - they were definitely focussed.

I think the age of the plane and condition of its interior with broken armrests, torn fabric, broken cockpit door, a few passengers whining, and being surrounded on all sides by heavy black storm clouds as the plane bucked created a bit of a theatre which amplified the anxiety of what was possibly only moderate turbulence. Still no fun.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Twice, once on a winter flight from New York to Tampa and another time flying into Milwaukee during tornado watch. The former was pretty harmless other than making me sick in the stomach, the latter quite a bit more nerve wracking (the pilot said we might need to abandon our approach and divert to another airport, but we made it). Anything I've experienced more recently and around here hasn't come close
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I experienced very bad air turbulence about 25 years ago when flying over the Pyrenees mountains from Spain to France (Tarbes Airport). This was a Twin Otter plane. Everyone else on board started praying. I sat at the back and decided that there was nothing I could do, so I opened another can of beer.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic