Wisdom please - clay, wax, polish, cut, ceramic paint protection

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
violet
Expatriate

Wisdom please - clay, wax, polish, cut, ceramic paint protection

Post by violet »

So much conflicting info so I may as well ask the CEOncyclopedia

Things to note:
  • My car is not new but looked pretty good when I bought it secondhand a few months ago
  • I’ve put it through the trauma of an automated car wash twice
  • It is always parked outside in direct sunlight and damaging UV rays
  • There is no water or electricity supply where it is parked
What I want:
  • As much as possible, to slow the damage from the UV rays and stop the clear layer from peeling off
  • Not to spend too much for the initial wash - to do the best I can, recognising I choose not to pay for all options that provide the ultimate result - I need to compromise on something
  • To have as easy a job as possible to hand wash it (only) every two weeks - preferably no claying etc on a regular basis - I am not going to spend hours of a day doing my car - wham bam thank you mam, please.
  • To top up the extras I initially get done as needed.

What you can maybe help me with:
  • What am I best to compromise on?
  • Which of these should I get done tomorrow over and above a hand car wash: clay bar, polish, hand wax, cut, polish & wax, paint protection (doesn’t appear to be full on ceramic coating as it costs far less than what I see ceramic coating usually costs), full on ceramic coating - I’m discounting the full on ceramic coating - no way I’m paying for that.
  • How often would I need to get the ‘extras’ (beyond hand car wash) done?
  • If I slipped up, and put it through an automatic car wash, would it strip off the ‘extras’ after one wash or more than one wash?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Wisdom please - clay, wax, polish, cut, ceramic paint protection

Post by Jerry Atrick »

violet wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:06 pm So much conflicting info so I may as well ask the CEOncyclopedia

Things to note:
  • My car is not new but looked pretty good when I bought it secondhand a few months ago
  • I’ve put it through the trauma of an automated car wash twice
  • It is always parked outside in direct sunlight and damaging UV rays
  • There is no water or electricity supply where it is parked
What I want:
  • As much as possible, to slow the damage from the UV rays and stop the clear layer from peeling off
  • Not to spend too much for the initial wash - to do the best I can, recognising I choose not to pay for all options that provide the ultimate result - I need to compromise on something
  • To have as easy a job as possible to hand wash it (only) every two weeks - preferably no claying etc on a regular basis - I am not going to spend hours of a day doing my car - wham bam thank you mam, please.
  • To top up the extras I initially get done as needed.

What you can maybe help me with:
  • What am I best to compromise on?
  • Which of these should I get done tomorrow over and above a hand car wash: clay bar, polish, hand wax, cut, polish & wax, paint protection (doesn’t appear to be full on ceramic coating as it costs far less than what I see ceramic coating usually costs), full on ceramic coating - I’m discounting the full on ceramic coating - no way I’m paying for that.
  • How often would I need to get the ‘extras’ (beyond hand car wash) done?
  • If I slipped up, and put it through an automatic car wash, would it strip off the ‘extras’ after one wash or more than one wash?
Unless it was going to be a show car I wouldn't wax or polish it at all

If you ever want to sell it spend a few dollars to get it detailed and it will look as good as the day you bough it
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I have a small selection of classics, and paint preservation is a bit of a pain. But worthwhile. Essential even.

clay, wax, polish, cut, ceramic paint protection.
Understanding what these are makes all the difference.

Wax is your real paint protection. Everything else is preparation for the wax coat, and general maintenance.
Forget ceramic. I don’t know anyone who uses that on any car that is worth keeping.

Polishing is a process of removing a fine layer of the surface. There is only so much that can be polished off before it’s gone. Over polishing is a frequent mistake. Once every few years at most. Different grades of polish can be used to resolve things like swirls, which are light scratching especially from automatic car washes, or a heavier polish for deeper damage.
Don’t use cutting compound. That’s basically the most aggressive form of polish.

A normal process for one of my cars would be-
2 bucket wash. One bucket is purely for rinsing the sponge, and a good car shampoo in the other.
Clay bar every couple of months, maybe more frequently.
Wax every couple of months

If the paint is well treated, Clay bar picks up the residual stuff that really sticks, like specks of tar. Even light paint splashes from careless maintenance.
I also use clay bar on glass.

Have you considered getting the car done by a ‘detailing’ shop? I know some will dismiss it as poncy, but a good detailer will get you to a good starting point that will make regular hand washing much easier. A mobile detailer in the UK, dealing with just the exterior, doesn’t cost a fortune. Where you are, I don’t know.

ps. Clay bar as part of a car wash routine can be very good for the calf and arm muscles.
pps. I use Meguires, or Autoglym.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

You haven't said or maybe you dont know, if the paint on the car is original or not. Maybe it even looks like the original paint but has had a respray to look new. Many car dealers find it easier to have the car resprayed before putting it up for sale and many cars if caught in a hailstorm with hailstones the size of eggs there is no alternative to a complete respray, which could results in a cheaper paint job., [ Insurance may not cover the cost of a decent repair job ].
The colour of the paint is also a big factor, especially in the Sunshine State and red is probably the worst colour of the lot for ''spiderweb cracks '' and fading.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Hi. Private purchase and is original paint job. Not red.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The thing with car polish is that it's abrasive - each time you use it it removes an extremely thin layer of the paint and reveals the good paint beneath.

So, for me, once a year is more than enough to polish

I tend to worry more about rust prevention in the underbody, sills, arches and seams. Far less visible but far more serious and potentially expensive once it gets a hold of a vehicle. That could be because I'm from a rainy fuck of a place and cars rust there because of salt, wet and cowdung on the roads
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic