Vehicle Import Tax

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Eqeus
Tourist
United States of America

Vehicle Import Tax

Post by Eqeus »

Hello,

I am looking to import Toyota Prius from the United States and I was wondering if anyone knows the current import tax on them. I did look at https://customs.gov.kh/en/publications/ ... ia-km-2022, but I wanted to make sure if I was looking at the right numbers.

Thank you!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Vehicle Import Tax

Post by Bongmab69 »

Its indeed the official website from Khmer "koi" (the customs), i am registerd there because i temporarily imported my car when i drove it in cambodia for a month. There has been several topics from people off "really" importing a car here, and uselly its a pain in the ass, the dutys are stupid high, the shipment from US to KOW at the moment also are high i suppose (i shipped my car from SHV back to Belgium 3 months ago. All together:buy the car in US+Shipment+get the car out of the docks+Import it+put it on Khmer-plates will cost you almost sure thousands more then just buy a similar car overhere. I woudlnt try it.
But if you have more info of the numbers, i am curious to know the numbers. I woudl think a 5000 US$ will end up here for maybe 15000 US$ . . . But thats just a guess !!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Bear in mind that the three different charges, duty, special tax and VAT, are cumulative. So if for example your car value including shipping costs and the cost of insuring the shipment was $100,000 you would pay 35% duty on that, $35,000. The special tax of say 50% is payable on the total duty paid value of $135,000 so that’s $67,500 which has to be added to the previous figure to get the value that VAT is charged on which works out to be $202,500. That makes the VAT $20,250 so you pay a grand total of $122,750, or 122.75% total.

To complicate things further, there are minimum values applied either by make/model/year or by cc/year so the Customs value may be higher then you actually bought the car for.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Forgot to mention one thing, Customs might also decide to put a 20% premium on the value as it is not being imported by a registered company.

As for port charges, Customs clearance, invoice tax evaluation, unstuffing etc allow about $900

BTW, All this info is related to doing things by the book
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic