Experience w/ Asiana airlines + 2 hour transfer times

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Experience w/ Asiana airlines + 2 hour transfer times

Post by BklynBoy »

I am flying Asiana Airlines and tried to purchase ticket thru their website but it kept fucking up. Something about a transaction code and my Debit card. It costs 100 dollars less thru the Asiana site but it was giving me issues and just wanted to buy it already.
Purchased thru Onetravel which I used before. I am familiar w/ Onetravel and can navigate the site.

I didn't wanna be on hold for 5 hours w/ asiana trying to find out why my card wasn't working.
It kinda reminded me of when i was buying Forte Insurance and the damn site wouldn't work w/ my card and had to use another card.

I land July 3rd!!! Can't wait. My friggin ticket cost $2,500 omg it pains me to even type this but it is what it is. Money comes and goes right?

these prices are obnoxious

I am aware of the advantages of using the airline as opposed to 3rd party sites but since the website was acting wonky..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:19 pm I am flying Asiana Airlines and tried to purchase ticket thru their website but it kept fucking up. Something about a transaction code and my Debit card. It costs 100 dollars less thru the Asiana site but it was giving me issues and just wanted to buy it already.
Purchased thru Onetravel which I used before. I am familiar w/ Onetravel and can navigate the site.

I didn't wanna be on hold for 5 hours w/ asiana trying to find out why my card wasn't working.
It kinda reminded me of when i was buying Forte Insurance and the damn site wouldn't work w/ my card and had to use another card.

I land July 3rd!!! Can't wait. My friggin ticket cost $2,500 omg it pains me to even type this but it is what it is. Money comes and goes right?

these prices are obnoxious

I am aware of the advantages of using the airline as opposed to 3rd party sites but since the website was acting wonky..
Asiana have an office in Phnom Penh, they can assist you with this ordeal.
Boredom is like a shroud
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

The price of airline fuel goes up in summer months.. every year before covid...and after.
Nothing new to pay more in the summer.
That idea to go to BKK is worth checking out.
Buy several months in advance. Do not go in summer.
A 2 hour layover can get dicey if your flight is late taking off. Toss in the size of many airports and getting to your connection..
Ugh..glad I am not going back to US 3 times a year anymore...
Waiting for the rainy season...kick back...save money...🙏
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

JReb wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 am The price of airline fuel goes up in summer months.. every year before covid...and after.
Never learned about the concept of hedging? Airlines never pay the spot price.

Prices go up because many people have their (forced) holidays. Not because of fuel prices.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:50 pm 2 hours is plenty of time for transit at ICN. I flew with Asiana a few times between Seoul and Phnom Penh during Covid, as options to/from Cambodia were limited, not a bad airline.
I never flew Asiana and had a question about checked baggAGE size. I never had issue when using Singapore Airlines but the luggage I have is a total size of 164 or something and Asiana lists the below as the requirement
(23kg, sum of three dimensions ~158cm)

Permitted dimensions- Asiana Airlines
Size (sum of three dimensions): Not exceeding A+B+C = 158cm(62 inch) (including handles and wheels)

Regardless of your class, the maximum size per bag is 158cm(62 inch).

Has Asiana ever measured the size of your luggage? are they that strict w/ this stuff? any experience?
I would rather not pay more or worse they won;'t let my luggage go thru
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

JReb wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:00 am The price of airline fuel goes up in summer months.. every year before covid...and after.
Nothing new to pay more in the summer.
That idea to go to BKK is worth checking out.
Buy several months in advance. Do not go in summer.
A 2 hour layover can get dicey if your flight is late taking off. Toss in the size of many airports and getting to your connection..
Ugh..glad I am not going back to US 3 times a year anymore...
Waiting for the rainy season...kick back...save money...🙏
Sometimes it pays to have a long stopover. My last 3 flights have had a 13 hour stopover including the one I'm on now.
Bought a ticket from Australia to PP , Air Asia all the way with a 13 hour stopover, in KL, only to find I cannot transfer at KL, I have to disembark, go through immigration and customs, then check-in again and go through all that shit. That takes 2 hours and if your flight was late or you had bags to pick up it could take much longer. And no, your bags don't go all the way through even though you have one ticket Oz to PP.

About 10 years ago I had the experience of a delay flight on the same route with AA and nearly missed the connecting flight because of a 2 hour stopover.

On all my last 3 trips since covid I have had to disembark at my stopover, twice it was in Singapore, go through immigration and then re check in as I could not go through transfers. Never had that problem pre covid

It's no wonder that tourists numbers are up in each country, but how many are like me, only stay for 10 minutes and leave.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

On all my last 3 trips since covid I have had to disembark at my stopover, twice it was in Singapore, go through immigration and then re check in as I could not go through transfers. Never had that problem pre covid.
I wonder what that is all about?
Kuala Lumpur is hands down one of the worst airports in the world.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:53 pm Australia to PP , Air Asia all the way with a 13 hour stopover, in KL, only to find I cannot transfer at KL, I have to disembark, go through immigration and customs, then check-in again and go through all that shit. .
Where have you been booking your tickets from? Are you not getting all boarding passes at check-in? Doesn't make sense especially if you are flying with the same airline all the way 🤔

I fly regularly, with multiple transits and different airlines, and never have to go through that hassle because the flights are all made on the same booking, with codeshare/interline baggage agreement airlines. Have transited through KL twice to/from NZ in the past 6 months, Malaysia Airlines all the way, no issues.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:42 pm On all my last 3 trips since covid I have had to disembark at my stopover, twice it was in Singapore, go through immigration and then re check in as I could not go through transfers. Never had that problem pre covid.
I wonder what that is all about?
Kuala Lumpur is hands down one of the worst airports in the world.
What airline(s)?
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:19 pm
Is that one way or round trip?
Either way you got ripped off my man.
Do you use an aggregator like Skyscanner?
I assume your going to the USA?
I just booked a one way flight to jfk in late May on JAL and it cost me all of $680.
You need to shop around methinks.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic