Panama City

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Panama City

Post by Doc67 »

Has anyone been to Panama City? I am going to be in the region in August and September and was thinking about including it in the itinerary. I would like to see the canal and have a mooch around but can't figure out where in the city to stay and, more to the point, where not to stay.

Any info gratefully received.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Panama City

Post by Bongmab69 »

I was there over X-mas and Newyear 2013 the year before my first contact with Cambodia (and after years of fun in Venezuela). Compared with other south-american countries its pretty clean and safe. The area to be was "EL CANGREJO" (the crab), with best place to party and sleep THE VENETO but i heared its closed for some time. It was on avenida Argentina, very close now is Ramada hotel now, worth a try i think. Beirut cafe and Habanos, Gauchos where good places also with some "fresh meat". The places were full of Colombian girls that time, because with a Columbian passport they hardly couldnt go any place in the world without visa-trouble, but a flight to Panama was easy to do. There are no roads between the two countries, its called The Darien Gap, pure jungle, i rented a 4x4 and wnet to Yaviza, the end of the Panamerican-highway. Old town was at that time rebuilding and slowly getting a night-life hotspot, probably now the place to be. I visited the Canal and the locks, but being Belgian, it a joke for us, we have the same but bigger in Antwerp and even in my town we have the same (but smaller). But you can see from very close the bigger container-carriers passing by.
I was used to Venzuelan prices that time, and in 3 weeks i spend a lot of money overthere, but it was worth it for sure !! And ofcourse you make it that expensive exactly as you like it yourself !! This info was from 2013, it could be a bit out-dated, but probably its still more or less the same !! Oooh, yes, and a lot of retired yanks overthere as its not so far for them and they speak better english there then in the rest of south-america !!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I was there for a short visit, December 2012. I’ve been hoping to go back for ages.

Best Hooters, ever. All of the girls were pretty with only minimal makeup. (I know- I’m sleazy and borderline sexist. But why else do you go to Hooters? I don’t think it’s for the menu or the beer, even though Wings’n’Beer are flight crew staples.

I’ve no idea what hotel we were in, but it was fairly close as we had walked. It was decent quality, which airlines have a bad record for choosing.
Walking about outside, day and night, was absolutely fine. We had some folk who had built up some drama about Panama before we went, but I think it’s like most places. Keep your eyes open, don’t be so drunk that you can’t recognise where you are, or what’s going on. Keep your wits about you.
This route included a stop in Cancun. I liked Cancun, but there was a much stronger vibe of threat if you were to stray outside typical gringo areas.

Price wise, I thought it was quite reasonable. But then, compared to Quebec, many places would.

We did a day tour from the hotel to see the canal. I’d say it’s well worth it. Once.
The canal on its own may not appear to be that spectacular, but in the context of what it does, where it is, and what runs through it, it’s fairly impressive- deep down, the engineer in me still lingers. Quite a few of the Americans in the group were a bit ‘meh’ and couldn’t wait to be somewhere else.
None of my photos do it justice, though. Looking at the queue of traffic waiting to go through shows how important it is.

There was a huge thunderhead over the plantation area during our visit. Some spectacular lightning strikes.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I went for a week in 2019. I only went to Panama City and Boquete. Ironically I was checking it out after leaving Snooky after the Chinese invasion. I was not very impressed. Perhaps it was just the area I was staying in but it was fairly run down and overpriced as far as I was concerned. I suppose after just having been to Peru and Ecuador most places would seem expensive by comparison. Hotels expensive for what you get. Food and drink pretty reasonable.

Boquete, which has a reputation as a gringo retirement spot was a waste of time as far as I was concerned. Everything more expensive and has to be the smallest place I have ever been that boasted a craft brewery, with US prices. Overpriced accommodation and rainy crap weather. If you go check the annual weather and see if you can find a sweet spot where it isn't so shitty.

My biggest regret is that I did not see the canal and now wish I had made the effort.

Good luck if you go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic