Passport scam targeting British nationals

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Passport scam targeting British nationals

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Beware of passport scam targeting British nationals in Thailand warns UK Foreign Office

The British Foreign Office issued a warning to both UK residents and expats in Thailand about a passport scam that is currently targeting British nationals in the kingdom.

Fraudsters are attempting to capitalize on the recent strikes by government workers in the UK, which have caused delays in passport renewals, by promising to bypass the three-month waiting period for a fee.

The scam involves fake websites such as UK-renewpassport.net and emails from similar-named sources promising to expedite the passport renewal process through international money transfer systems like Western Union, Pattaya Mail reported.

The British Foreign Office is advising British nationals in Thailand who want to renew their passports not to fall into a trap and deal only with authorized application centres in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

The scams in Thailand are similar to those already identified by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) in the UK, where many Brits have been tricked into believing they can get bargain-basement air tickets or cheap foreign holidays. However, in Thailand, the scams appear to target expat Brits who specifically want to renew their passports quickly.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/b ... ign-office
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Passport scam targeting British nationals

Post by Spigzy »

Still a better service than the British Embassy by the sound of it! :D (but I'm guessing they just pocket the cash & do a runner?)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Passport scam targeting British nationals

Post by scott61 »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:16 pm Still a better service than the British Embassy by the sound of it! :D (but I'm guessing they just pocket the cash & do a runner?)
Unfortunately, (although I know you were joking...:) ) you are probably right. In my dealings with the British Embassy in Bangkok, I'm convinced that they're not there to help the British citizens in Thailand but make money from them. It's seems like a lucrative business, charging exorbitant rates for what appears to be simple and brief services before putting down some more hoops for you to jump through. Sometimes it's hard to even find a human to attend to you and you often have to fill in an online questionnaires on their computers first. Good luck also finding a British native who knows what you are talking about.

Glad to get that rant off my chest.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic