ABA credit card - renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ABA credit card - renewal

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:17 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:38 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:12 pm Does ABA actually issue CREDIT cards? I need one for car hire as most companies don't accept debit cards.

How do you qualify for a credit card anyway? Would a deposit of the credit granted be required?
I've rented a half dozen times in different countries using my ABA debit card

It does require a deposit of $500 or so and buying full rental insurance but I always do that anyway

Yeah, for the cc here you have to escrow almost the credit limit and still get shafted on interest rates so I don't see any benefit, personally
I won't be using the thing for purchases, it is solely for car hire, and I am informed that a CC is a must - they won't accept debit cards (it's in Mexico).

I have found the ABA website page about the CC's they offer. It seems they are all fully collateralised via the main account. Does that mean they will simply apply a minimum balance on my account to cover the CC limit?
Do you still have a bank in UK? if so some banks have virtual credit cards these days. could be more useful than a Cambodian one too
The car hire companies I am looking at won't take virtual cards. I have been reading their T&C's, holy crap, I want to take the bus...

As long as the CC is either MC or Visa, it will be acceptable. However, it must have at least 12-month until expiry and must be good for a variety of deposits being blocked on them, Theft and damage excess, fuel deposit etc and some as high as $5000 (fuck that).
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:22 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:12 pm Does ABA actually issue CREDIT cards? I need one for car hire as most companies don't accept debit cards.

How do you qualify for a credit card anyway? Would a deposit of the credit granted be required?

It does require a deposit of $500 or so and buying full rental insurance but I always do that anyway

Yeah, for the cc here you have to escrow almost the credit limit and still get shafted on interest rates so I don't see any benefit, personally
I won't be using the thing for purchases, it is solely for car hire, and I am informed that a CC is a must - they won't accept debit cards (it's in Mexico).

I have found the ABA website page about the CC's they offer. It seems they are all fully collateralised via the main account. Does that mean they will simply apply a minimum balance on my account to cover the CC limit?
Do you still have a bank in UK? if so some banks have virtual credit cards these days. could be more useful than a Cambodian one too
The car hire companies I am looking at won't take virtual cards. I have been reading their T&C's, holy crap, I want to take the bus...

As long as the CC is either MC or Visa, it will be acceptable. However, it must have at least 12-month until expiry and must be good for a variety of deposits being blocked on them, Theft and damage excess, fuel deposit etc and some as high as $5000 (fuck that).
Wow, that's extortionate.

I'd be tempted to buy a junker and drive it for that sort of money
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:26 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:22 pm

Wow, that's extortionate.

I'd be tempted to buy a junker and drive it for that sort of money
I think I'll stick to Avis or Hertz, as at least they are not complete frauds. Some of the sites I have seen have a wall of 1 Star ratings, you can tell their business practices are fraudulent and who better than a foreigner on holiday to stiff for their deposit.
AM34
Expatriate

Post by AM34 »

To qualify for an ABA credit card, I needed to have a fixed deposit. You then get a credit limit worth something like 90% of your collateral. Since I lock in a certain minimum (I think it's +$3k), they waive the fees on a platinum card and throw in 10 free passes to the airport lounges in PP and SR. All while you collect 6% annual interest on your deposit (though no deposit insurance in Cambo, so watch your butt).

Why a credit card?
-Most airlines don't accept debit card for onboard purchases, credit only
-Have found that some evisa applications are credit only (Vietnam, Indonesia)
-As others have mentioned, renting a car
-Most hotels won't take a deposit on a debit card
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

You can buy insurance to cover the often huge excess on rental car insurance for much much less than buying through the rental company.
I've got an annual policy that costs less than £40 from Questor.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AM34 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 pm To qualify for an ABA credit card, I needed to have a fixed deposit. You then get a credit limit worth something like 90% of your collateral. Since I lock in a certain minimum (I think it's +$3k), they waive the fees on a platinum card and throw in 10 free passes to the airport lounges in PP and SR. All while you collect 6% annual interest on your deposit (though no deposit insurance in Cambo, so watch your butt).

Why a credit card?
- never had a purchase declined on an airline due to card. In general I do avoid making extra purchases on airlines tho
- have paid for Vietnam evisa using debit card
- never had trouble renting a car on debit card
- never had a hotel booking issue using debit card over multiple decades

About the only valid reason for preferring credit cards (apart from the need for credit, which is heavily overrated) is consumer fraud protection. There's a danger of your hard earned being drained when using a debit card
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:38 pm
AM34 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 pm Why a credit card?
- never had a purchase declined on an airline due to card. In general I do avoid making extra purchases on airlines tho
- have paid for Vietnam evisa using debit card
- never had trouble renting a car on debit card
- never had a hotel booking issue using debit card over multiple decades

About the only valid reason for preferring credit cards (apart from the need for credit, which is heavily overrated) is consumer fraud protection. There's a danger of your hard earned being drained when using a debit card
Same here, been using ABA Visa Debit Card for all of the above for more than a decade and have never had any issues.

Reference your last point @Jerry Atrick, I keep my funds in a separate account, only minimal funds in Debit Card account, transfer funds to Debit card account as needed.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

My experience (in the past) of bank cards vs debit cards world wide is that for some countries, the bank card may not be covered by Visa/Mastercard or similar, whereas for debit cards and credit cards, usually they are. This creates some confusion when the sales point needs a card guarantee which they may only be familiar with associating with credit cards. They may only know to ask for credit cards, but the machine/bank system might well accept a debit card. The person handling the machine just doesn’t know.
I’ve never had a debit card refused by the machine once they’ve tried it. I’ve had long conversations trying to get the person to attempt the sale with the debit card.

I had this most often in Canada/US/americas, although quite some time ago. But given that many organisations don’t really update their staff training, I can see how such misconceptions persist.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

AM34 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 pm To qualify for an ABA credit card, I needed to have a fixed deposit. You then get a credit limit worth something like 90% of your collateral. Since I lock in a certain minimum (I think it's +$3k), they waive the fees on a platinum card and throw in 10 free passes to the airport lounges in PP and SR....
The minimum is so low now days? Few years ago min. for platinum card was like $10k.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ash333 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:29 pm You can buy insurance to cover the often huge excess on rental car insurance for much much less than buying through the rental company.
I've got an annual policy that costs less than £40 from Questor.
I don't want another bunch of insurance bastards to deal with. I just want a rental company with a bumper-to-bumper policy, a maximum $100 excess, for about $10 a day ($3650 pa) on top of the rental price. Even when they do sell insurance it seems to have ridiculous excesses which can then be "covered for your peace of mind" by more bullshit insurance policies.

:angry: :angry:

(but I will have a look at Questor to see if it covers Mexico, (the country that invented bandits)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic