bugger me its hot aircon fail cost to regas an aircon ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: bugger me its hot aircon fail cost to regas an aircon ?

Post by Ozinasia »

By the way is this the landlords responsibility or the tennets here in PP ? My landlord says ;
"You can manage it and the cost because the tenant is responsable for the maintenance of the aircon.
All the aircon have been working before you were in this appartement" I was going to anyway but thinking what if it was a compressor or some such ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ozinasia wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:57 pm By the way is this the landlords responsibility or the tennets here in PP ? My landlord says ;
"You can manage it and the cost because the tenant is responsable for the maintenance of the aircon.
All the aircon have been working before you were in this appartement" I was going to anyway but thinking what if it was a compressor or some such ?
I'd prob service it myself, but if it broke I'd definitely be after a landlord to cover repairs

These things tend to be in the rental agreement
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

My agreement says thing I break or minor repairs ie changing a light bulb . First time I ever turned the aircon on in any case air con guys said be there by 12 ... ahhh be there by 3 ... ahh sorry will be there tomorrow morning
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The difficulty is the mentality that it broke because you used it correctly, instead of them understanding that-
it’s their kit, not yours.
Maintenance and faults are not the same as misuse and damage

The attitude is just deliberate stupidity.

A reasonable (in my opinion) response would be to get it sorted yourself, if you can. And then plan how that will be offset in the final bill, and how the deposit paid will be used to cover the last few weeks of residence. I’m pretty mercenary about this now, as our current landlord quickly learned not to piss about.
We paid for the aircon at our previous place, and brought it with us to the new apartment, as the previous occupant had stolen the compressor and blower unit. I think all in, it was $80 to uninstall and reinstall. But they used the existing hoses, and the system leaked down. $15 got a re-charge, but they didn’t do any investigation, and so it leaked down again. They’re aware of my thoughts regarding their skills…

I’ve little idea about domestic systems, but from what I know about vehicles, modern aircon gases are slightly more prone to leaking (especially in systems that may already be compromised) than older gases which were in use until the mid 90s. Wear on rotating parts, leaks in seals, etc. basic lack of maintenance, and poor installation in the first place. Systems that had sat dormant and seals have dried out.
Most re-charges will probably be just a gas. I’d imagine that to be done correctly, it would require a specific quantity of lubricating oil proportionate to the gas being added. The system would need to be run, and then checked for pressure. Simply connecting up the hoses and filling the system won’t cut it in a 20minute visit.
Certainly, this is the case for my cars, and the basic process must be similar.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

well this morning the tech finally turned up
wasn't Freon required was a part , he spoke no english so do not know what it is but amazingly he had a spare one with him
Cost $35.00
job done cooler room
Last edited by Ozinasia on Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Ozinasia wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:57 pm By the way is this the landlords responsibility or the tennets here in PP ? My landlord says ;
Depends on the landlord I guess but servicing someone else's appliances is like changing the oil in a rental car, imo.
Scarier than malaria.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

agree never been asked to pay for a repair before and doesn't seem right but I needed it fixed because I think its going to get hotter.
i might just deduct from next rental payment and see what he does !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic