Driver license renewal?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Driver license renewal?

Post by wanderer7777 »

Hello to all.
I could use some advice.
I may have a problem with renewing my DL.

I'm American, moved to Thailand in 2015.
In 2018 my U.S. license was about to expire so I obtained a 5 year Thai license.
In 2019 moved here to Cambodia on a ER visa . Been here ever since.
Now that Thai license is going to expire in August.

Initially I thought I'd have a couple of options, but from what Ive read they may not work.

1. Take my Thai license to Aeon mall public works and transport and trade it for a Cambodian license.
But my home country/passport is U.S. and doesn't match my the Thai license.
From what I read they wont give you a license if the one you present differs from your home country.
Is that true?

2. Take a trip to Bangkok and renew there.
I'll be entering on a tourist visa and staying in a hotel.
But they want a certified letter of address and a non immigrant visa as part of the document requirement to renew.
So I don't think that'll wont work.

Anyone been thru this?
Appreciate any feedback and possible solution.

Thankyou
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Driver license renewal?

Post by Kammekor »

Since you have a US passport you can only convert a US license to a Cambodian one.

You could renew your Thai license in Thailand and use it in Cambodia. As per ASEAN agreements that's legal, but that might not stop Cambodian cops from asking you for a small reward for their efforts to keep the roads safe.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

wanderer7777 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 am Hello to all.
I could use some advice.
I may have a problem with renewing my DL.

I'm American, moved to Thailand in 2015.
In 2018 my U.S. license was about to expire so I obtained a 5 year Thai license.
In 2019 moved here to Cambodia on a ER visa . Been here ever since.
Now that Thai license is going to expire in August.

Initially I thought I'd have a couple of options, but from what Ive read they may not work.

1. Take my Thai license to Aeon mall public works and transport and trade it for a Cambodian license.
But my home country/passport is U.S. and doesn't match my the Thai license.
From what I read they wont give you a license if the one you present differs from your home country.
Is that true?

2. Take a trip to Bangkok and renew there.
I'll be entering on a tourist visa and staying in a hotel.
But they want a certified letter of address and a non immigrant visa as part of the document requirement to renew.
So I don't think that'll wont work.

Anyone been thru this?
Appreciate any feedback and possible solution.

Thankyou
I've converted a UK license to Khmer several times despite not holding a UK passport so go figure
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Officially your license country must match your passport country to convert to a Cambodian DL, if not then you have the option of sitting the test and getting a 10 Yr license.

@Jerry Atrick not sure how you've managed that, but this is Cambodia, where there's a will there's usually a way.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'll comment on option #2. You'd need to go elsewhere in Thailand where immigration would be willing to give you a certificate of residence. In Bangkok, you won't be able to get one as a tourist. I'm not sure if the DLT in Bangkok would still accept a certificate by the US embassy instead, that might be worth checking.

In any case, your new Thai license would be good for only 2 years, not 5 years, as you don't have a non-immigrant visa.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:04 am Since you have a US passport you can only convert a US license to a Cambodian one.

You could renew your Thai license in Thailand and use it in Cambodia. As per ASEAN agreements that's legal, but that might not stop Cambodian cops from asking you for a small reward for their efforts to keep the roads safe.
thai license can NOT be converted UNLESS you hold a thai passport, I tried

Over the past 16 years using 5 year Thai license in Cambodia, if stopped, ( maybe 7 times only) 70% of time was fined
usually $10-30
stopped for;

tinted windows
following the car in front when he turned, he was not stopped but I was:-)
overtaking on the left
Speeding
Not signaling on turn

ONLY have been stopped in a car, never on a bike

FYI:
easy to get a cor in Phuket; just show them screen shot when hotel checks you in ( TM 30)
BUT they are backed up 2-3 months to renew license,
OR pay 7,000 baht an dont need do anything other than show up for ur photo

Suggest you head to Phang Nga, get cor in 10 minutes , renew license next day
ur good to go for 2 years :-)

From what i have read about getting license in Bangkok,they wont issue a COR UNTIL you have completed a 90 day report
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wanderer7777 »

thanks . all good info. !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic