GARY GLITTER

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: GARY GLITTER

Post by xandreu »

sketchyxxx wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:50 pm Netflix will apparently make a series about him: https://deadline.com/2023/03/gary-glitt ... 235280243/
I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead. The reason there are very few movies about paedophiles is that it's, understandably, very difficult to get actors to play the roles. Nobody with a reputation to maintain would go near a role like that. The only ones who might be willing to go along with it would be up and coming struggling actors, but they run an even higher risk of being stereotyped, if that's the only thing they're known for.

Not sure I agree with it anyway. No matter how he's portrayed, the mere fact he's had a movie made about his life and crimes does go some way to glamorising it. There will always be sicko's that would get a kick out of watching one of their own on the big screen.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

You wouldn’t want to get typecast…
sketchyxxx
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by sketchyxxx »

I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead. The reason there are very few movies about paedophiles is that it's, understandably, very difficult to get actors to play the roles.
It's a documentary.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 pm
sketchyxxx wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:50 pm Netflix will apparently make a series about him: https://deadline.com/2023/03/gary-glitt ... 235280243/
I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead. The reason there are very few movies about paedophiles is that it's, understandably, very difficult to get actors to play the roles. Nobody with a reputation to maintain would go near a role like that. The only ones who might be willing to go along with it would be up and coming struggling actors, but they run an even higher risk of being stereotyped, if that's the only thing they're known for.

Not sure I agree with it anyway. No matter how he's portrayed, the mere fact he's had a movie made about his life and crimes does go some way to glamorising it. There will always be sicko's that would get a kick out of watching one of their own on the big screen.
I'm not so sure about that. Ewan McGregor went from playing a fucked -up junkie to playing young heroic Obi-wan-kenobi in no time.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:02 pm

I'm not so sure about that. Ewan McGregor went from playing a fucked -up junkie to playing young heroic Obi-wan-kenobi in no time.
The difference being, the fuxked up junkie was fictional.
daiquiri
Expatriate
Germany

Post by daiquiri »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:59 pm I realized he was released from prison.
I recognize you realized he was released from prison! :dm:
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead. The reason there are very few movies about paedophiles is that it's, understandably, very difficult to get actors to play the roles.
Netflix has a documentary about Jimmy Savile, so I don't see why Gary Glitter would be more of a problem. Actors are a dime a dozen.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:02 pm

And contrariwise, Hilton McRae went from playing Arvel Crynyd in Return of the Jedi to the fucked-up sex offender in The Execution of Gary Glitter.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574436/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:06 pm
Netflix has a documentary about Jimmy Savile, so I don't see why Gary Glitter would be more of a problem. Actors are a dime a dozen.
At least this doco will have a good soundtrack

Depraved old cunt, Gadd, shame he didn't die in jail but he made good music
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic