The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The Curry Club

Post by rozzieoz »

khmerovitch wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:55 am Hi! I'm working here now!

Congratulations! Hope it's very successful :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Yes, good luck. I've just returned from the Punjabi Kitchen on st 172. Had chicken madras and veg biriani. Like my other visits to this restaurant, the food was perfectly acceptable, however, there always seems to be something missing and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I always leave feeling slightly underwhelmed.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:09 pm Yes, good luck. I've just returned from the Punjabi Kitchen on st 172. Had chicken madras and veg biriani. Like my other visits to this restaurant, the food was perfectly acceptable, however, there always seems to be something missing and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I always leave feeling slightly underwhelmed.
To be honest, I feel that way about most, if not all, Indian restaurants here. I know for a fact that many times I have been given a chicken curry that was made with Tandoori chicken for example. Or Jeera rice that was actually Pulao rice. There is a vast oversupply of Indian restaurants here, so they cut corners wherever they can.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambodia is the only place in the world, now, where I enjoy mutton/lamb curries. A nice mutton vindaloo- yummy. I gave up on the UK years ago.
I was approaching being vegetarian in Bangladesh- the old shoe leather analogy when eating beef or lamb would come to mind.

I do enjoy both Sher-e-punjab and punjab kitchen. But I get what Hanno alludes to- there’s something missing. Normally, no poppadums at Punjab kitchen.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Gazzy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:09 pm Yes, good luck. I've just returned from the Punjabi Kitchen on st 172. Had chicken madras and veg biriani. Like my other visits to this restaurant, the food was perfectly acceptable, however, there always seems to be something missing and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I always leave feeling slightly underwhelmed.
I ordered from angkor Indian earlier. Wasn't bad In as such it didn't have enough flavour to be bad.

Think they must be misplaced the whole spice cabinet
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:20 pm Cambodia is the only place in the world, now, where I enjoy mutton/lamb curries. A nice mutton vindaloo- yummy. I gave up on the UK years ago.
I was approaching being vegetarian in Bangladesh- the old shoe leather analogy when eating beef or lamb would come to mind.

I do enjoy both Sher-e-punjab and punjab kitchen. But I get what Hanno alludes to- there’s something missing. Normally, no poppadums at Punjab kitchen.
Most of these cheap Indian restaurants don't serve lamb, its too expensive. It's 5 times the price of chicken and that means $8+ per dish with a miserable 2 or 3 pieces of lamb.

Mutton ( lamb over 1 year old) sold here is often goat, so I am told. But that is expensive too. I can't remember when I got a good lamb curry here,, maybe 2 years ago.

I don't bother with any lamb curry here, I pay $18 a kilo from Makro and make my own.

As for the "something missing"...its good cooks. This lot are barely trained khmer that wont/cant follow a strict recipe and have NO IDEA of what it should taste like. Otherwise it's just lazy Indians that think we dont know the difference.

There are spices in abundance here, there is NO excuse.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:20 pm Cambodia is the only place in the world, now, where I enjoy mutton/lamb curries. A nice mutton vindaloo- yummy. I gave up on the UK years ago.

Most of these cheap Indian restaurants don't serve lamb, its too expensive. It's 5 times the price of chicken and that means $8+ per dish with a miserable 2 or 3 pieces of lamb.

Mutton ( lamb over 1 year old) sold here is often goat, so I am told. But that is expensive too. I can't remember when I got a good lamb curry here,, maybe 2 years ago.

I don't bother with any lamb curry here, I pay $18 a kilo from Makro and make my own.

As for the "something missing"...its good cooks. This lot are barely trained khmer that wont/cant follow a strict recipe and have NO IDEA of what it should taste like. Otherwise it's just lazy Indians that think we dont know the difference.

Think you've put your finger on it. Lazy Indian chefs, probably the brother of the owner. We're all happy to have a curry and a beer for around $10 but you get what you pay for. Would be great to have a upper-class Indian restaurant, say inside a hotel, fully air- conditioned, white table cloths, trained staff catering for the middle class. I'd be happy to pay.
khmerovitch
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by khmerovitch »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 am

Think you've put your finger on it. Lazy Indian chefs, probably the brother of the owner. We're all happy to have a curry and a beer for around $10 but you get what you pay for. Would be great to have a upper-class Indian restaurant, say inside a hotel, fully air- conditioned, white table cloths, trained staff catering for the middle class. I'd be happy to pay.
Isn't that basically Namaste?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

khmerovitch wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:33 am
Gazzy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 am

Isn't that basically Namaste?
Close but not quite.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 pmThis lot are barely trained khmer that wont/cant follow a strict recipe and have NO IDEA of what it should taste like. Otherwise it's just lazy Indians that think we dont know the difference.
I have been to at least 10 different Indian/Nepali/Bangladeshi/whatever (not only are the menus identical, almost every restaurant now also claims to do Nepali kitchen which basically means they have Momos as a starter); and I have yet to see any Khmer staff. Every restaurant seems to have way to many staff from the sub-continent, both in the kitchen and in the restaurant. Always have wondered about the work permit situation; surely there are no work permits for service staff?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic