Riverside/Freelancers dangers?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Riverside/Freelancers dangers?

Post by ceoreg123 »

Hi,

I live in Pattaya and came across this Post in a Pattaya Forum:

" Be very careful, and sober, if you fish around Wat Phnom and Riverside "

The thread was about the locations and availability of freelancers in PP. Can someone please elaborate what the dangers are?

I'm going over Easter for a long weekend and have no intentions of spending much time sober. I always check a girls ID if there is any doubt in my mind that she's not at least in her mid twenties to be sure that she's not underage.

What would be better areas to pick up freelancers? Anything to worry about with girls on online dating sites? In Bangkok there is massive police checks regarding drugs, they even search foreigners in the back of taxis etc. Anything in this regard to watch out for?

Thanks
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Riverside/Freelancers dangers?

Post by Bongmab69 »

ceoreg123 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:12 pm Hi,

The thread was about the locations and availability of freelancers in PP. Can someone please elaborate what the dangers are?

I'm going over Easter for a long weekend and have no intentions of spending much time sober. I always check a girls ID if there is any doubt in my mind that she's not at least in her mid twenties to be sure that she's not underage.

What would be better areas to pick up freelancers? Anything to worry about with girls on online dating sites? In Bangkok there is massive police checks regarding drugs, they even search foreigners in the back of taxis etc. Anything in this regard to watch out for?

Thanks
Wat Phnom is indeed one of the cheapest and worst places to pick up a girl,
best place is go to 130 or 136 and barfine a girl you like, it will cost you 10U$ extra and concidere it as a "life-insurance". If she fucks you up, its easy to find her back, and she knows, thats whe she wont fuck you up. Riverside, no idea, never been there after darkness (on the opposite of the road), probably same danger but little less and little more expensive. Leave everything in the safe from your room, only take cash with you and dont tell them you are new in town . . .

Enjoy the fun . . .
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was a funny story a few months ago about a Japanese tourist who was on the riverside at 2am. He met a couple of lovely "ladies" and thought he was in luck. They led him to a dark spot where some nice young men were waiting. They took his Rolex, wallet and a $10,000 necklace. Fucking idiot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

Ok I'm starting to catch the drift... Yea, I don't see myself getting caught up in a situation like that.
What about girls working with cops to bust you and get a cut? Common?

Anything else police related to be on the lookout for?

Best to just stick to the girls from the bars no freelancers in PP?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:14 pm There was a funny story a few months ago about a Japanese tourist who was on the riverside at 2am. He met a couple of lovely "ladies" and thought he was in luck. They led him to a dark spot where some nice young men were waiting. They took his Rolex, wallet and a $10,000 necklace. Fucking idiot.
I walk Riverside most evenings, but usually not very late. Last week was the first time I was approached by a couple of girls (actually quite pretty, to be honest). It. ust have been around 20:00 and it was very busy; but I would absolutely never, ever engage with them; something bad is bound to happen.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ceoreg123 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm Ok I'm starting to catch the drift... Yea, I don't see myself getting caught up in a situation like that.
What about girls working with cops to bust you and get a cut? Common?

Anything else police related to be on the lookout for?

Best to just stick to the girls from the bars no freelancers in PP?
Whatever you do, take the girl to the place of your choice, not hers. That way the odds of scam might become manageable, but not zero.
daiquiri
Expatriate
Germany

Post by daiquiri »

In Bangkok there is massive police checks regarding drugs, they even search foreigners in the back of taxis etc. Anything in this regard to watch out for?

Thanks
Off topic, but I'm really curious ..... Really? Is it really that extreme? Did it happen to you, or do you have some stories? Unbelievable ... It's not that extreme in Cambodia I'd say ...

Other than that, I don't have much to add ... Except to check out st. 104 as well ... Same rules apply as for 130/136, which Bongmab69 already explained ...
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:02 pm
ceoreg123 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:12 pm Hi,

Thanks
Wat Phnom is indeed one of the cheapest and worst places to pick up a girl,
best place is go to 130 or 136 and barfine a girl you like, it will cost you 10U$ extra and concidere it as a "life-insurance". If she fucks you up, its easy to find her back, and she knows, thats whe she wont fuck you up. Riverside, no idea, never been there after darkness (on the opposite of the road), probably same danger but little less and little more expensive. Leave everything in the safe from your room, only take cash with you and dont tell them you are new in town . . .

Enjoy the fun . . .
You might get mug in the bars, they are experts in bill falsifications, do not flash large US notes.
Boredom is like a shroud
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

daiquiri wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:02 pm
In Bangkok there is massive police checks regarding drugs, they even search foreigners in the back of taxis etc. Anything in this regard to watch out for?

Thanks
Off topic, but I'm really curious ..... Really? Is it really that extreme? Did it happen to you, or do you have some stories? Unbelievable ... It's not that extreme in Cambodia I'd say ...

Other than that, I don't have much to add ... Except to check out st. 104 as well ... Same rules apply as for 130/136, which Bongmab69 already explained ...
Its absolutely that extreme in Bkk now. I got pulled over in a Taxi on Sukhumvit in the Asok/Nana area. Major police checkpoint looking into every single car going by in the evening hours. They searched me and had a cop do flips of joy and holding up a 10mg Diazepam tablet he found in my bag yelling: Valium, Valium!! Short time later the chief or whatever showed up and I calmly handed him over my perscription that the other pig could have pulled out of the same compartment of my bag. Was good to go then.

I could tell they were explicitly looking for drugs and by the way they searched my belongings they knew what they were doing. My friend who lives in bkk says that these checks are very common in certain areas only.

The drug laws are so draconian in Thailand that they can put you behind bars for quite long periods of time if they catch you even with personal use quantities. Cops know they can pretty much ask for however much they want, because if there is any way for you to come up with that money you absolutely will.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Last I knew they sold Valium over the counter in the pharmacies in Thailand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic