The Kep Revival

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Kep Revival

Post by kgbagent »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:49 am

Old Mercedes - must be overland travellers parked up on the Crab Market breakwater

yes indeed, they are overlanders, didnt met them in person on the road, but they were heading 2 months ahead from me, and probably the first guys who received as overlander an Indian visa in Islamabad, since Covid, they made some good tips on the ioverlander.com website, what helped me to get in PP.
But i had no clue they came also to KOW . . .
[/quote]

Thanks for the background
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

kgbagent wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 pm On the bright side, those prices will keep the riff-raff out that is so often seen infesting restaurants in nearby Kampot. What I'm really wondering about is the quality though. I'd have no problem paying $12 for a Full English Breakfast on the beach, considering I'd be in holiday mode, but the quality would better be comparable to the best I can get elsewhere.
You a regular at Happy Chef and Milano then?
I'm not a regular in Kep or Kampot at all, which part of "holiday mode" did you fail to understand? Can you actually comment on the quality of those new restaurants in Kep?
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am
kgbagent wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 pm On the bright side, those prices will keep the riff-raff out that is so often seen infesting restaurants in nearby Kampot. What I'm really wondering about is the quality though. I'd have no problem paying $12 for a Full English Breakfast on the beach, considering I'd be in holiday mode, but the quality would better be comparable to the best I can get elsewhere.
You a regular at Happy Chef and Milano then?
I'm not a regular in Kep or Kampot at all, which part of "holiday mode" did you fail to understand? Can you actually comment on the quality of those new restaurants in Kep?
When in Kampot , Kep just put yourself on the survival mode, no decent food just kennel rations.
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the waiting is almost over

Kep Rock Center’s construction project has achieved roughly 80 percent completion. Throughout the following three months, visitors will be able to experience this new international resort. Through new achievements, Kep province is able to attract more tourists to come and relax.

According to Heng Dara, owner of Kep Rock Entertainment Center, the project to develop a cable car park with a restaurant, parking lot, toilets, and water park has neared 80 percent completion. The crew has finished more than half of the facilities above Kep National Park for more than 30 different types of recreational activities.
I'm at a crossroads, not sure how many Khmers are into this but at least it adds something to do while in Kep beside eating crab and walking around the mtn on a cement path
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501276643/ ... ee-months/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:46 am the waiting is almost over

Kep Rock Center’s construction project has achieved roughly 80 percent completion. Throughout the following three months, visitors will be able to experience this new international resort. Through new achievements, Kep province is able to attract more tourists to come and relax.

According to Heng Dara, owner of Kep Rock Entertainment Center, the project to develop a cable car park with a restaurant, parking lot, toilets, and water park has neared 80 percent completion. The crew has finished more than half of the facilities above Kep National Park for more than 30 different types of recreational activities.
I'm at a crossroads, not sure how many Khmers are into this but at least it adds something to do while in Kep beside eating crab and walking around the mtn on a cement path
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501276643/ ... ee-months/
Cementing the mountain road might have been bad idea (especially cutting the trees was bad) but it has brought the Cambodians on the trail. I go there like once a month and I see always locals bicycling and walking. Before never. Only few odd people driving on scooter to the cafe on the top of mountain. But now people are actually "hiking".
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Hiking around the mountain (mostly in solitude) there on the hardpacked dirt road, under the shade of the huge trees, was always one of the highlights of any trip to Kep for me.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

kgbagent wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:53 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm With those prices its obviously aimed at only wealthy khmers down on the weekends> ( those staying at He's daughters place across the sands)
but what about the other 5 days a week??
Interesting that place - http://www.villaromonea.com/history.html - :crazy: -

"Welcome to the first world class private villa for rent on the coast of Cambodia in Kep. Built in the 60's in stunning modernist style, Villa Romonea can luxuriously accommodate up to 12 guests in 6 rooms."
Full meal service, private beach, swimming pool, golf, tennis courts. Your own private resort. Wow, why would you go out ?
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

wolfcreek wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:11 pm Hiking around the mountain (mostly in solitude) there on the hardpacked dirt road, under the shade of the huge trees, was always one of the highlights of any trip to Kep for me.
its concrete now if your referring to the national park walk wide enough for cars
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:20 pm
kgbagent wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:53 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm With those prices its obviously aimed at only wealthy khmers down on the weekends> ( those staying at He's daughters place across the sands)
but what about the other 5 days a week??
Interesting that place - http://www.villaromonea.com/history.html - :crazy: -

"Welcome to the first world class private villa for rent on the coast of Cambodia in Kep. Built in the 60's in stunning modernist style, Villa Romonea can luxuriously accommodate up to 12 guests in 6 rooms."
Full meal service, private beach, swimming pool, golf, tennis courts. Your own private resort. Wow, why would you go out ?
You can't, at $600. a night one doesn't have any cash left to go out.
Boredom is like a shroud
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

The old, shaded roadway was also wide enough for cars. On more than one occasion I was passed by a car while walking/biking on it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic