Murder Suspect Pleads that her Husband was Violent

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Murder Suspect Pleads that her Husband was Violent

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampong Thom Province): The Investigating Judge of Kampong Thom Provincial Court on March 24, 2023, ordered the detention of a woman pending legal action in connection with the murder of her husband.
The woman suspect was arrested by the police on March 23, 2023 in Dong Phteak village, Kampong Thom province, charged with killing her husband on the night of 7 March. She is accused of slitting his throat with a knife while he was sleeping.

According to the Provisional Detention Order of the Investigating Judge of Kampong Thom Provincial Court, the suspect is Leav Luy, 43 years old (wife). The victim was named Yun Sareang, male, 44 years old (husband). Both of them live in Dang Phteak village, Doung commune, Prasat Balong district, Kampong Thom province.

The woman said that she took the knife to kill her husband because she was angry that her husband was cheating on her with another woman, and that he was cruel to her, treated her like a slave, and often beat her up, as he did on 7 March, the night of the murder. That night, the woman waited until the man was asleep and went to get a machete to cut his throat.

The suspect has been charged with "premeditated murder" under Article 200 of the Penal Code, and is currently being held in Kampong Thom Provincial Prison.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Murder Suspect Pleads that her Husband was Violent

Post by Doc67 »

I don't suppose being a battered wife will butter many parsnips.

It's the 'floodgate' argument; once you allow habitual domestic violence to become even a partial defence there will be bodies everywhere.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:46 am I don't suppose being a battered wife will butter many parsnips.

It's the 'floodgate' argument; once you allow habitual domestic violence to become even a partial defence there will be bodies everywhere.

Well, it holds water if he was battering her WHEN she killed him

But slitting a throat while the person sleeps, not so much
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:48 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:46 am I don't suppose being a battered wife will butter many parsnips.

Well, it holds water if he was battering her WHEN she killed him

But slitting a throat while the person sleeps, not so much
Yeah, I agree, perhaps she should have kept quiet about that part! The slitting of the throat while asleep is a very sinister feature. The infidelity also complicates matters; was it motivated by jealousy or self-preservation from the violence?

If it was during an attack then I assume self-defence could apply if reasonable and proportionate. But I don't know the law here. Is there even a principle of self-defence as a full or partial defence here?

I hope so with all the drunks around town!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic