SEA Games 2023 - Schools to close

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: SEA Games 2023 - Schools to close

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:23 pm Demonstrating the complete lack of thought or consideration about this, and pretty much every other proper gubbinsment idea.

They’ve known about these games for how long? But come up with this daft plan, to be announced with only 4 weeks notice.
There’s 12 days of the games, but there’s 2 weeks prior break, yet everything technically back to ops normal the day after it’s over. Just in time for the weekend.
What are the chances that this will simply be April 14 to May 22, once a few more unproductive days are tacked on?

Are they deranged? Is someone lacing the office tea with strong recreational pharmaceuticals?
It's indeed Cambodian management at its' finest.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Is true, got told at work today.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yesterday, after the first announcement, MOEYS has given out a second announcement. I've seen it in Khmer but forgot to take a picture.
It's a clarification of the first announcement stating schools are closed to enable student to participate in voluntary jobs, or visit the SEA games. Schools are encouraged to offer an 'online learning program' during the four week period and exams planned during the four week period can be held as planned.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Schools Instructed to Close during SEA Games-ASEAN Para Games 2023
AKP Phnom Penh, March 23, 2023 --

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has instructed all schools across the country to close their doors from April 20 to June 18, 2023 during the 32nd SEA Games and 12th ASEAN Para Games to be hosted by Cambodia.

The closure is aimed to contribute to ensuring public order, safety, and support to the forthcoming regional games, read a ministry’s letter signed on Mar. 22 by H.E. Dr. Hang Chuon Naron, Minister of Education, Youth and Sports.

The order concerns all early childhood education institutions and services, primary and secondary schools, technical education institutions, and higher education institutions, both public and private in the country.

Cambodia will host the 32nd SEA Games from May 5 to 17, 2023 and the 12th ASEAN Para Games from June 3 to 9, 2023.

By Chea Vannak
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/274575
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:44 pm Schools Instructed to Close during SEA Games-ASEAN Para Games 2023
AKP Phnom Penh, March 23, 2023 --

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has instructed all schools across the country to close their doors from April 20 to June 18, 2023 during the 32nd SEA Games and 12th ASEAN Para Games to be hosted by Cambodia.

The closure is aimed to contribute to ensuring public order, safety, and support to the forthcoming regional games, read a ministry’s letter signed on Mar. 22 by H.E. Dr. Hang Chuon Naron, Minister of Education, Youth and Sports.

The order concerns all early childhood education institutions and services, primary and secondary schools, technical education institutions, and higher education institutions, both public and private in the country.

Cambodia will host the 32nd SEA Games from May 5 to 17, 2023 and the 12th ASEAN Para Games from June 3 to 9, 2023.

By Chea Vannak
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/274575
Now that makes it two months + KNY closure!
I'm taking my kids out from school if they don't realise how bad this is and cancel the closure totally! :evil:
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

I'm sure Cambridge will reschedule all the IGCSE exams, they're very understanding people.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

schlarry wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:37 pm I'm sure Cambridge will reschedule all the IGCSE exams, they're very understanding people.
....exams planned during the four week period can be held as planned.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The school my kids go to isn't closing any of their locations, they confirmed this morning

It's only a recommendation - no school is compelled to follow it
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

My guess is that they need the volunteers. When we held the Olympics in London in 2012, it couldn't have been done without the huge army of thousands of volunteers who helped out, mostly teenagers that were told they should 'feel proud to do their bit for such a huge national event'.

I'm guessing they're having trouble recruiting the volunteers they need to host the SEA games, with many students using the 'but what about my studies' excuse, which is easily solved by simply closing all the schools.

It's the only logical conclusion I can think of, which also explains why they have left it so late to announce it. Perhaps they were expecting more volunteers than they got?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:52 pm The school my kids go to isn't closing any of their locations, they confirmed this morning

It's only a recommendation - no school is compelled to follow it
This is simply not correct. There is no indication at this point that it's just a recommendation. It currently exists as a directive. Many schools are merely waiting for clarification before they make official announcements about what they will do in terms of teachong/learning during that period.

Crackers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic