BMX bikes- available in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

BMX bikes- available in Phnom Penh?

Post by Freightdog »

..and more importantly, robust, not shite stuff with chinks in the quality.

I’ve a mind to buy the kids a BMX bike, each. I’ve seen them (BMX) around with the kids on riverside. However, when asking the kids where they got the bike, it’s a variety of blank stares or explanations that it belongs to a friend.

I’m out of the country for a short while, and have the ‘option’ of bringing a couple back with me. But if they are genuinely available in Phnom Penh, that may make for a better choice.

I’m not looking for die-hard race/competition quality. I also haven’t a clue about BMX*. Just a competent, basic BMX style.

*My focus was road racing as a teen (before motocross tempted me)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: BMX bikes- available in Phnom Penh?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 pm ..and more importantly, robust, not shite stuff with chinks in the quality.

I’ve a mind to buy the kids a BMX bike, each. I’ve seen them (BMX) around with the kids on riverside. However, when asking the kids where they got the bike, it’s a variety of blank stares or explanations that it belongs to a friend.

I’m out of the country for a short while, and have the ‘option’ of bringing a couple back with me. But if they are genuinely available in Phnom Penh, that may make for a better choice.

I’m not looking for die-hard race/competition quality. I also haven’t a clue about BMX*. Just a competent, basic BMX style.

Fling Bikes will either have - or be able to tell you where you could get

There's a page called BMX Cambodia - an enthusiasts page- I guess that they could also help
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I might be wrong, but I think @Captain Bonez has been known to do the odd gnarly ollie or two.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:55 pm I might be wrong, but I think @Captain Bonez has been known to do the odd gnarly ollie or two.
Standing by for input…

…and “a what?”
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:55 pm I might be wrong, but I think @Captain Bonez has been known to do the odd gnarly ollie or two.
I believe an ollie is a skateboard manoeuvre. ;-)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:20 pm ..and more importantly, robust, not shite stuff with chinks in the quality.

My son had BMX bikes for a few years and still has but he has graduated to motorbikes already. They aren't easy to source here. Flying bikes might have a few basic GTs, he got one a few years ago. Since then he got a Haro that I spotted on 107. A good pro-style bike like that might only cost a couple of hundred second-hand, new at least double that. Tires are a pain to get here, he bought some a couple of times from a well-known supplier that were sub-par and fell to bits within a week. For $40 each you expect better but the climate sometimes wrecks stuff. The guys that are really into it club together and get orders from abroad. 8-)

Just to add on to that I would recommend getting decent BMX rather than any other style. There are a lot of these "miniaturized mountain bikes" for kids around. They have suspension, mudguards, fairing, gears that almost hit the ground, mirrors, hand-guards, lights, bells and totally shit disc-brakes and other parts. Parents and kids love them. They are heavy pieces of crap and soon end up on the scrap heap. Good BMX are not like that, they have the bare minimum of parts. The parts they have are strong as fuck because they are made to do tricks. You might have noticed that the really keen riders strip off their brakes too, they use their shoes to stop. They are light and almost unbreakable and have a good resale value.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic