Real electric bike for just $472

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Real electric bike for just $472

Post by ressl »

Before I start, I want to make clear, that I am working for Oyika, so even I start this post with a private intention, I think everyone should know, that I am not a neutral person on this. For everyone who thinks now: WTF is Oyika? Yes, awareness is one of our problems we are currently working on. Oyika is the company, that operates a battery swap system for electric 2 wheelers in Phnom Penh.
OK, so what is this all about? Currently Oyika has a deal running, to promote its brand and sells an electric motorbike for $590. This already quite good promotion runs until end of March, then the price will be back to $690. Now the mind blowing part comes: Government currently subsidizes electric vehicles, which gets the price down to just $472. Yes, no typo, not kidding: $472! This is really a once in a lifetime offer, I can not imagine anyone can ever beat this price again - not even the company itself. Ok, but what is the fineprint? One fineprint is, that the battery can not be charged at home, it uses the the swapstations of Oyika only (swapstation = empty battery in -> fully charged battery out within a minute). This clearly limits the range to Phnom Penh (and some parts of Kandal in the south). Of course, using this swap station infrastructure is not for free; currently there are 2 plans available for the swaps
1) $20 for 30 swaps (basically one swap per day)
2) $30 for unlimited swaps (aiming for delivery riders or other business related customers)
A concern I hear often, is that the prices for the swaps will go up in the future. Actually, the prices went down so far, from previous $29. If you think the $20 is still too expensive, think of how much money you spend on petrol, oil change and other engine related repairs and how much a new battery pack costs you (which is not a question with a swap system, since you get a new battery each time).
Range? Hehe, one of the most asked questions. When I answer "it doesn't matter", I always get puzzled faces. Very simple: the 45km to 55km range are not important, since the battery can get changed on demand within a minute or 2.

Again: this is a private post and was not discussed with the company at all. However I personally think this is a real killer deal and although I already have electric bikes, I will buy myself one of those (if one is left and like always heavily modify it, but that's a different story :D )
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Real electric bike for just $472

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ressl wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:44 am Before I start, I want to make clear, that I am working for Oyika, so even I start this post with a private intention, I think everyone should know, that I am not a neutral person on this. For everyone who thinks now: WTF is Oyika? Yes, awareness is one of our problems we are currently working on. Oyika is the company, that operates a battery swap system for electric 2 wheelers in Phnom Penh.
OK, so what is this all about? Currently Oyika has a deal running, to promote its brand and sells an electric motorbike for $590. This already quite good promotion runs until end of March, then the price will be back to $690. Now the mind blowing part comes: Government currently subsidizes electric vehicles, which gets the price down to just $472. Yes, no typo, not kidding: $472! This is really a once in a lifetime offer, I can not imagine anyone can ever beat this price again - not even the company itself. Ok, but what is the fineprint? One fineprint is, that the battery can not be charged at home, it uses the the swapstations of Oyika only (swapstation = empty battery in -> fully charged battery out within a minute). This clearly limits the range to Phnom Penh (and some parts of Kandal in the south). Of course, using this swap station infrastructure is not for free; currently there are 2 plans available for the swaps
1) $20 for 30 swaps (basically one swap per day)
2) $30 for unlimited swaps (aiming for delivery riders or other business related customers)
A concern I hear often, is that the prices for the swaps will go up in the future. Actually, the prices went down so far, from previous $29. If you think the $20 is still too expensive, think of how much money you spend on petrol, oil change and other engine related repairs and how much a new battery pack costs you (which is not a question with a swap system, since you get a new battery each time).
Range? Hehe, one of the most asked questions. When I answer "it doesn't matter", I always get puzzled faces. Very simple: the 45km to 55km range are not important, since the battery can get changed on demand within a minute or 2.

Again: this is a private post and was not discussed with the company at all. However I personally think this is a real killer deal and although I already have electric bikes, I will buy myself one of those (if one is left and like always heavily modify it, but that's a different story :D )

So this is the well subsidized entry level scoot. Good price too.

What's your companies top of the line, no expense spared offering in the moto range?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

How many swap stations are there and where are they? A map would be useful.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:48 am So this is the well subsidized entry level scoot. Good price too.
What's your companies top of the line, no expense spared offering in the moto range?
Well, honestly we only have one other model at the time, going for $1380 (should be 1104 now, but I don't know if it was registered for the government program), but comes with 2 year free swaps (unlimited AFAIK). That model is loved by the delivery guys, however they prefer to rent it per month, instead of buying or instalment.
Actually, there is one single top bike, with a dual battery system called T3. It had only been used for shows and presentations and the original sales price was (an unrealistic) $4700. However the company never intended to sell it, but if you really want it, it might be possible.
Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:53 am How many swap stations are there and where are they? A map would be useful.
We currently have 15, and we desperately try to find more places, where we can put more. The requirements (accessible 24h, under a roof) are nor that high (and the owner gets the electricity paid + a bike), but it is still surprisingly challenging to convince the people to allow us. Screenshot of the app (there is one more east of the airport):
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

@ressl
Who changes the battery? Is it just a pull-out and replace or do you need someone there to remove and install the battery?

In other words, is it self-service or do you also need staff there 24/7?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Self service, but you need your phone (and a small amount of data) to operate the swapstation (battery changing device)
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

OP mind posting the battery specifications? I'm certain anyone with even the slightest knowledge of mechanics and electrical can charge the battery at home.

These are the little yellow bikes for rent at circle k yeah? Decent machines, didn't know you'd have to swap everyday though..
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

This seems to be a perfect bike for any lady getting around town. Battery swap bikes are big in other Asian countries, should work well here so long as Samnang doesn't work out a way to charge the battery at home with some home made contraption that sends the whole block up in flames, as Khmers are wont to do.

Is it a "Sleeper" 0-60 for the freshie boys? :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:27 pm OP mind posting the battery specifications? I'm certain anyone with even the slightest knowledge of mechanics and electrical can charge the battery at home.
61.2V, 22.4A, you need a 71.4V charger, but don't try it at home, since the battery will lock up immediately. You can get it unlocked by bringing it in person to the office and pay a $50 unlock fee.
These are the little yellow bikes for rent at circle k yeah? Decent machines, didn't know you'd have to swap everyday though..
The bikes for $472 are differnet ones, but if you want one of the rideshare type ones, we still have a few on stock. And no, neither of them you have to swap every day, but the package would allow you to
Spigzy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:34 pm Is it a "Sleeper" 0-60 for the freshie boys? :hattip:
I am working on one, but it will not be that hardcore
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Do you tell the consumers that they can pay to have it unlocked? Why isn't that advertised, charging at your home vs swapping is a complete game changer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic