Help! I lost my US passport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Help! I lost my US passport

Post by phuketrichard »

when i travel my passport is always on my body in my pocket>
never leave it in a hotel room ( even if there is a safe)

The one time i was robbed ( 75) it was in my small day pack ( stupid me before i learned)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

RONEV wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm I think some people live in shitty apartments where documents would be less secure than carrying them around in a bag on their shoulder.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:17 pm when i travel my passport is always on my body in my pocket>
Just need to think outside the box, there's always somewhere that you can safely secure shit.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:59 pm
RONEV wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm I think some people live in shitty apartments where documents would be less secure than carrying them around in a bag on their shoulder.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:17 pm when i travel my passport is always on my body in my pocket>
Just need to think outside the box, there's always somewhere that you can safely secure shit.
Usually yes, but have you seen some of the squalid rooms that expats die in? Bed, tiny nightstand, little wicker dresser, that's it. Not a lot of good hiding places for a passport.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

RONEV wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:24 am Usually yes, but have you seen some of the squalid rooms that expats die in? Bed, tiny nightstand, little wicker dresser, that's it. Not a lot of good hiding places for a passport.
Jesus gav

Howz married life treating you these days?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

nope:
i'd much rather have my passport with me, than back in my room>
even when i was cycling, passport was always in my pocket, never in a bag
ever heard of someone being held up and their passport was stolen?
Most robberies are a bag, phone, watch, money
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Brody wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:51 am
RONEV wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:24 am Usually yes, but have you seen some of the squalid rooms that expats die in? Bed, tiny nightstand, little wicker dresser, that's it. Not a lot of good hiding places for a passport.
One have to be creative.

Jesus gav

Howz married life treating you these days?
Boredom is like a shroud
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 am
nope:
i'd much rather have my passport with me, than back in my room>
even when i was cycling, passport was always in my pocket, never in a bag
ever heard of someone being held up and their passport was stolen?
Most robberies are a bag, phone, watch, money
Your passport condition and odors must be disgusting. I saw some foreigners passports during visa runs the looks like they been used during bathroom habits.
Boredom is like a shroud
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Prison purses have been proven to safely secure shit, quite literally, for as long as I recall - some may suggest "in the box" is just as safe?!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Prime example of what I was saying, and I read posts like this almost every day...

A little bit of common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it ain't that common.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

The American guy I mentioned earlier in this thread who had his passport stolen, had it lifted from his pocket.

I've never had an apartment where I felt safer carrying my passport on me than leaving it at home. I have been in a situation where a pickpocket crew targeted me though with two guys going for my pockets at the same time, and gangs of thieving street kids would target anyone who looked like they had money - especially foreigners.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic