Common courtesy’s for your Neighbor’s.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Common courtesy’s for your Neighbor’s.

Post by phuketrichard »

courteous neighbors? surely not Cambodia>
One of the main reasons i hated living in the house i built in kep was my neighbors
they were fishermen, their day off they would start in with the karaoke at 8 am an continue thru the day getting louder as they got drunker> there were 3 separate houses of them and they had different days off!!! The noise was explained to me that they face the speakers OUT so everyone can hear how much fun they are having.

add in, they burned their trash, roosters running around.
Seems every other week, someone was dying or getting married..
The fucking noise!!!!

a Mans home is supposed to be his castle and refuge from the world
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Most Cambodians have never received a newspaper delivery, never seen a newspaper delivery, and would have no idea of the etiquette of moving a neighbor's paper to his door.

Oh and I used to get the newspaper delivered in the USA. My Cambodian wife hated the smell of it, the ink, everything about it. She feels about newspapers the way I feel about fish sauce in the house.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

RONEV wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 am Most Cambodians have never received a newspaper delivery, never seen a newspaper delivery, and would have no idea of the etiquette of moving a neighbor's paper to his door.

Oh and I used to get the newspaper delivered in the USA. My Cambodian wife hated the smell of it, the ink, everything about it. She feels about newspapers the way I feel about fish sauce in the house.
Etiquette, give me a break, Cambodia is a third world country I think that they have other priorities than newspaper delivery.
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The OP has already said this wasn't in Cambodia. He's being persecuted in the west. The injustice.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

David Gordon wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 am Sorry, this is in the west.
Are they supposed to magically divine that it's your paper?

Never had a paper delivery in any country so I am not "au fait" with the etiquette
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

David Gordon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:33 pm I get a printed newspaper delivered once a week Friday. They make little effort other than to throw it out of the car so it can land between the road and the house - often landing on the sidewalk.

Since I installed a security camera I notice the comings and going’s of the building occupants and I observed a curious thing. My landlord - also my nephew - will come and go multiple times a day and step over the paper even if it’s on the step - rather than putting it at my door.

My common courtesy is to do those little things naturally for others. Is that not normal? It makes me not want to do a single little thing for him - and I do a bunch. Is this how society breaks down?
Part 1. I thought this was the standard stuff of the American* urban dream, as portrayed in many an American comedy. Usually with lawn sprinklers to add that certain je ne sais quoi.

Part 2, I think this indicates as much a failing in your nephew’s and family’s manners and upbringing. I good punch to the mandible of the appropriate sibling for spawning such a deviant is called for. For good measure, turn on the aforesaid sprinklers just as he steps over his uncle’s newspaper.

Part 3. Along with common sense, I do think common courtesy is going the way of the dodo. It’s not entirely dead, but it’s certainly heading into a notable minority.

(Still the US of A, not all of America. Kinda like using Hoover and vacuum cleaner interchangeably, but incorrectly)
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I’m sorry I was not more clear. I didn’t think it mattered necessarily to point out where it was geographically but I regret it becoming something negative against the Khmer people.

Common courtesy. Everyone does just a bit more for each other and you get what you give so no one does more and the world is just a nicer place to live.

My other point is that because I see he won’t lift a finger I want to not be so nice and that’s how it all breaks down in society.

The other way is to keep on leading by example and doing what I feel is right so that perhaps some others may become inspired too.

As for the nephew, it’s his wife also. And yet we share baked goods and pleasantries. I had thanked him for bringing it up as I saw it on my porch table but he said it was his mother - so he was raised to see this - she would think the same as me. Maybe it’s that generation or perhaps it’s just him.
Stay classy na
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic