Solo treking in Nepal Banned ;-(

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Solo treking in Nepal Banned ;-(

Post by phuketrichard »

even back on my 1st trek in 82 it was to easy to do it alone and the Annapurna circuit was often refereed to as the " teahouse trek"

Now no more
Nepal will ban solo trekking for foreigners from April 1, making it mandatory to take a guide along to ensure the safety and well-being of the visiting guests.

The new rules apply to international tourists of all experience levels on treks in Nepal’s national parks, such as the popular Annapurna Circuit, a 150-mile route that circles the Annapurna mountain range. Trekkers can still embark on solo hikes outside of national parks, such as around the city of Kathmandu.
https://m.economictimes.com/nri/visit/n ... 596849.cms
Five years after banning solo adventurers from climbing Mount Everest, Nepal’s government has extended the restriction to the whole country.
While the trekking industry is one of the country’s biggest moneymakers, the cost of search and rescue missions for solo hikers who get lost is significant.

“When you are traveling solo, in case of emergencies there is no one to help you,” Mani R. Lamichhane, Director of the Nepal Tourism Board, tells CNN. “It is fine if they are traveling in the cities, but in the remote mountains, the infrastructure is not adequate.”
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Solo treking in Nepal Banned ;-(

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Indonesia also announced today tourists will be banned from renting motorbikes or scooters on Bali.

The Indonesian island of Bali plans to ban tourists from renting motorbikes after a series of incidents in which foreigners have violated traffic rules.

Bali’s governor, Wayan Koster, said that underchanges to be imposed this year, foreigners would only be allowed to drive cars rented from travel agents.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... motorbikes
It kind of makes one grateful for having mostly lived and travelled in a time when natural selection determined who enjoyed adventure.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Damn, I am just planning a trek there in the fall.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Or Nepal could bring in compulsory accident/medivac insurance for tourists, but that wouldn't be popular either.
As for this Bali motorbike ban, it looks like a knee-jerk reaction to recent problems with tourists.I can understand the problem, but asking tourists to produce either a motorbike license from their own country or an international license before renting a motorbike should be enough to stop the stupidest of the stupids. :BangHead:
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:44 am Indonesia also announced today tourists will be banned from renting motorbikes or scooters on Bali.

The Indonesian island of Bali plans to ban tourists from renting motorbikes after a series of incidents in which foreigners have violated traffic rules.

Bali’s governor, Wayan Koster, said that underchanges to be imposed this year, foreigners would only be allowed to drive cars rented from travel agents.

It kind of makes one grateful for having mostly lived and travelled in a time when natural selection determined who enjoyed adventure.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thank god,Thailand wont jump on the motorcycle ban, no matter what> its a huge money maker:
everyone profits;

the motorcycle dealerships
the motorcycle renters
the police
the repair shops
the hospitals
the parts shops
:stir:
.I can understand the problem, but asking tourists to produce either a motorbike license from their own country or an international license before renting a motorbike should be enough to stop the stupidest of the stupids
Its required here, but is largely ignored. ( reference reason why,above)
---------------------------

I rented bike in Bali my last trip in 2017 and circled the island> 900 kms in 12 days
Had a great time, but to many people ( Chinese stood out) causing problems in very area
------------------------------

as to Nepal, no idea why they dont just require a mandatory insurance package for all trekkers ( who cares if its unpopular) issued with the trekking permit.
its crazy to ask every trekker to require a guide, ( i hope they clarify this to also mean porter) on a trek that one could do bind
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:44 am Indonesia also announced today tourists will be banned from renting motorbikes or scooters on Bali.

Indeed. Sad to see the nanny state spread to developing countries.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:51 am Damn, I am just planning a trek there in the fall.
You can hire a guide for like $5 a day. I think it's well worth it. There are a lot of criss crossing paths that locals use and I would have been lost a bunch of times walking from Jiri to Everest base camp without a guide.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I trekked the Annapurna route way back. We had a guide but he was useless and lost us a few times so we told him to fuck off and did it without him.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

no more mtn biking the trekking routes?
as one would not expect a guide to ride with you>>

I dont think u can find a guide for $5/day, wont even get a porter for that..
Generally, low-end guides price starts at around USD 25 to USD 30 per day. A good guide’s average cost is USD 30 to USD 35. A high-end guide will cost you about USD 50+ with additional language skills as per your preferences

Porters cost you between USD 18 to USD 20 a day. The porter will carry about 20 kg of the load.
https://himalaya-discovery.com/trekking ... ts-budget/

When it does come into force, all independent foreign travellers — including those travelling solo or in groups — will have to book a licensed guide for any form of trekking activities.

Responses to the proposed rule change are varied, with some in the country's adventure tourism industry lamenting the loss of freedom to explore one of the world’s great wildernesses.

In 2019, more than 50,000 tourists trekked in Nepal without a guide or porter according to data from the Nepal Tourism Board.

To trek independently in Nepal’s wilderness, tourists need an official route permit and a Trekkers Information Management System card. The cost of this permit is 2,000 Nepalese Rupees per person ($15) — which increased from 1,000 per person for those travelling in groups — and travellers will no longer be able to apply for the permit without booking a guide to accompany them.
https://www.thenationalnews.com/travel/ ... m-april-1/

This sucks!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic