Vietnamese Food: Searching for the Best Banh Mi

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Vietnamese Food: Searching for the Best Banh Mi

Post by hanno »

Stravaiger wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 am
Looks good and not too far from me. Agreed, USD 3.00 is on the steep side, but then sall food in PP seems to be pretty expensive.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:50 am
Looks good and not too far from me. Agreed, USD 3.00 is on the steep side, but then sall food in PP seems to be pretty expensive.
WTF? He doesn’t give a name or address of this place, unless I missed it.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 am
hanno wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:50 am
WTF? He doesn’t give a name or address of this place, unless I missed it.
Hero Steak, 159 Street 278, Phnom Penh 12302
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Well I’m here now at Hero Steak. The pork Banh Mi is $2.50. Place is packed. Update when I get home and eat.,
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ok, it was really good, not mind blowing great for the pork version, but it was really good. And I didn’t think it was small at all. Definitely will go back and try the other versions.

Friendly advice, plan on takeout if you go there midday, at least that’s how it was around noon today. People were leaving without ordering because all the tables were full.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Pickle Banh Mi expands into Long Beach’s Cambodia Town
Caitlin Antonios July 6, 2023

Since she was a child, My Nguyen has worked with her mom. So taking on the challenge of helping her mom, Du Ng Dong, and her aunt, Oanha Dong, in opening the newest location of Pickle Banh Mi in Cambodia Town—their first outside of Orange County—is not something new.

“My mom, my whole life, is an opportunist,” Nguyen said. Her mother, leaning on her Catholic faith, has jumped at entrepreneurial pursuits that came her way over the 30 years she’s been in the food industry after immigrating from Vietnam.
Dong and her family moved to Orange County from Seattle in the ’80s, and were able to sponsor their whole family, bringing Nguyen’s aunt to California about 20 years ago.

When the Dong sisters decided to open the first Pickle Banh Mi in Garden Grove in 2018, the menu was a love letter of sorts.

A bánh mì sandwich has a few key elements: a French baguette, French-style mayo, pâté (think meat spread), meat and some sort of pickled veggie, Nguyen said.

The history of the sandwich itself is a mixing of cultures — a product of French colonization. So as the sandwich continues to evolve and change, everyone does it their own way.
The recipes are crafted over decades of learning from others and putting their own spin on it. One of the most popular items at the Long Beach location is the bò filet xào, which takes from a Peruvian staple, lomo saltado-style beef, and mixes it with Vietnamese flavors.
Full article: https://lbpost.com/hi-lo/pickle-banh-mi ... odia-town/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic