112 Villagers Swindled in Korean Job Scam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

112 Villagers Swindled in Korean Job Scam

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): 112 Cambodians were swindled after they lost money paid to brokers who promised them work in Korea as fruit pickers. The people had paid between $700-$1000 each to be sent to South Korea, where they were promised six months work at $1500 a month.

Protests by the prospective migrant workers broke out at 8:30 pm on March 7, 2023 at "Neak Tep" Guesthouse, Trapeang Lvea 1 village in Sangkat Ka Kap I, Khan Por Sen Chey, in Phnom Penh, where they were waiting to take the plane to Korea.

One of the victims explained that the first group of workers was supposed to leave with 94 people, on March 4, 2023, but did not travel that day because the broker said that the plane was suspended for several days, so he took them to wait at "Neak Tep" Guesthouse until the night of the 7th March, when the plane would supposedly take them to work in Korea.
According to the victims, the villagers handed over $ 700 in cash for the trip, and some paid nearly $ 1,000 to buy clothes and items to take to live in Korea. Some of the villagers even lost money to brokers by giving them Cambodian money to change for Korean money to spend in Korea.

The villagers said that the brokers went to recruit victims in factories and in villages, and many were in Saang district, Kandal province. The broker told the 112 victims that they were going to work in Korea, and there were different courses and exams on Korean language courses to take, but at no time did he specify the name of the association.
The group of workers only complained to the authorities at the time of the incident at the Por Sen Chey guest house on March 7. When they finally realised that they had been cheated and that they would not be going to work in Korea, the villagers intervened by detaining one of the three brokers as a suspect and calling the police.

The man arrested by the police was named Tam Chanti, male, 27 years old, unrealistic occupation, living in the village Trapeang Toeng, Preal Commune, Kanhcheak District, Svay Rieng Province.
According to the police of Po Sen Chey district, the suspect claimed that the other two brokers are the real bosses of the scam, and they are the ones who have the money that was stolen from the people. However, the authorities are still questioning the suspect on the details and the present whereabouts of the two "bosses".

The people who lost to the brokers have been given another night's stay at the guesthouse, while the authorities make a case report of each person's complaint and register their losses.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: 112 Villagers Swindled in Korean Job Scam

Post by Bongmab69 »

One of my ex girlfriends also was scammed this way just before COVID, but she knever told me in my face, i found out later from one of her friends, and she was studying Korean again in november, makes me curious she is scammed again . . .
A donkey knever falls twice over the same stone, no ?? !!
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:54 pm
The man arrested by the police was named Tam Chanti, male, 27 years old, unrealistic occupation, living in the village
hehe what now?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:18 pm A donkey knever falls twice over the same stone, no ?? !!
Says the guy who writes "knever" twice instead of "never"....
Time to learn something other posters signaled to you already in previous posts ^^
You're welcome.

Also, isn't there an office where brokers should register first, before recruiting for these jobs opportunities ? With an official administrative tie to the destination country ?
Maybe the big man in charge could look into that, instead of letting his people get cheated over and over again ?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
More arrests were made by Phnom Penh police today, 9 March, 2023, but no names yet. More details to come.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

It's the Pedro stache that gives me the untrustworthy vibe
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:28 pm It's the Pedro stache that gives me the untrustworthy vibe
The ghost of a moustache that went dying on their faces
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

March 9, 2023
Government provides three buses to transport more than 100 cheated people home
More than 100 people who were cheated by brokers to work in Korea are to be transported back to their hometown.

Khuong Sreng, Governor of Phnom Penh, said tgat three buses from Phnom Penh Capital Hall will transport the 125 people, comprising 87 males and 38 females back to their hometowns in the provinces, and also provide them with some food and money.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501252255/ ... ople-home/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic