Type E (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WWWAdamWWW
Tourist
Canada

Type E (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival

Post by WWWAdamWWW »

I'm sure this question has been covered before, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer so I'll clutter up this board with what may be a stupid question...

I'm a Canadian citizen and will not be seeking employment in Cambodia. Will there be any issues with getting and ordinary visa I can extend indefinitely when I arrive in Phnom Penh?

Thank you for your help!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Type E (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival

Post by ItWasntMe »

No problem it just costs 20$ more. Once in the country you will have to keep paying extra to get your papers sorted. This is the way
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:06 pm No problem it just costs 20$ more.
It costs $5 more.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Malone »

you can get the visa at the airport. for 35usd.
then you can extend it up to 12month at a time. but new rule is if you extend more than 6 month you have to have a work permit. which is not really a problem, but costs money. i paid 200usd for wp. to my travel agent. also the wp expires at the end of the calendar year.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:27 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:06 pm No problem it just costs 20$ more.
It costs $5 more.
Ah ok. Just going from what the last person told me. American entering for second time, asked for ordinary visa because of obvious reasons and was quoted 20$ more than his first time entering.

Could be some tea money involved there.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I have lost count of how many times I've posted this...

Here is a basic summary for general Foreigners wishing to stay long term, work, retire, study, etc...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa. $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month. (Note: this Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa). There are no supporting documentation requirements for the majority of Nationalities, no passport picture is required. Ensure that you have the Visa fee in crisp, new, clean USD bills, preferably exact change.

Update: With effect 12th Jan 2023, the E-type (Ordinary) Visa can also be applied for online in advance by all Nationalities on the official www.evisa.gov.kh website.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time for EOS applications, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.

........................................................................................................

For the ER (Retirement) EOS:
- If aged 55+ and applying via a Visa agency, no additional supporting documentation is required
- If aged under 55 and applying via a Visa Agency, proof of retirement and sufficient funds are required
- If applying directly via the DoI, the supporting documentation requirements are extensive and strict

........................................................................................................

Changes to Visa Extensions of Stay with effect 17th October 2022.

- If you arrive with an E-type (Ordinary) Visa and want to apply for a 12 mth EB (Business) EOS, you are required to have a copy of your Work Permit card, Employment Letter and Companies Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have a Work Permit then you are only allowed to apply for a 6 mth EB EOS, you must have your Employement Letter and Patent Tax License.

- If you don't have an Employment Letter then you are only allowed to apply for a 3 month EP (Proposal) EOS which you can then change to an EB EOS once you have secured a Work Permit and Employment Letter with copy of the Patent Tax License.

- All subsequent EB EOS applications will require Work Permit, Employment Letter and Patent Tax License.

- Those legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, who do not work and aren't eligible for, or don't want, an ER EOS, they can still apply for the EB EOS based on marriage without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- Those applying for an EB EOS as a non-working dependent spouse of their foreign husband/wife can still apply without the need to provide employment related supporting documentation including the WP. Different supporting documentation requirements apply.

- EG (General) EOS only available for 1 or 3 months, no more 6 month options.

- You can no longer convert from an EG EOS to any other EOS category in country.

Most of the above aren't actually policy changes, just stricter enforcement of the correct Immigration policy (Sub Decree 123) As always, there are ways around some of these issues, via Visa Agents, at a cost, and risk.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

^^

Mods... how about having a thread pinned at the top of ask the expats section entitled "Visas - The Current Regime" or whatever you want to call it. @PSD-Kiwi can post the above details and then LOCK the thread; it's for information, not for comment. If something changes, he can go back in and make any changes needed.

Then, whenever someone wants to know the basics, it is there for them. No need to start yet another thread.

Sooner or later our visa guru will get fed up answering the same questions and/or correcting the usual duff replies offered before he has the time to chime in.

Just a thought...

Edit: The current pinned thread at the top about Police checks is redundant, nobody has posted on it for nearly a year - and it is taking up prime real estate better suited to a Visa question thread.
WWWAdamWWW
Tourist
Canada

Post by WWWAdamWWW »

Thank you for the details, I really appreciate it! I'll be arriving in Phnom Penh on the 28th.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic