Taking car to Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Taking car to Thailand

Post by rogerrabbit »

Anyone has experience driving Cambodian car to Thailand? Is there any problems? Do they check any of the car papers? As the car we might be using is owned by a relative so it's not on anyone of us name.

Same thing with Vienam? Has anyone driven there with Cambodian car?

Any recommendations which city to visit in Thailand that would be max 1 hour drive from the border?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Taking car to Thailand

Post by phuketrichard »

MUST be in the name of the person crossing the border !!
and YES they look at the papers an sign you into a book
need buy insurance

If coming from SR crossing at O'smach head up to Surin
if in Koh Kong ..Trat and take the ferry to Koh Chang
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Thanks. Thought that would be the case.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i came lost week trhough Koh Kong with belgian car (on my name), no problem at all, they use TIP and/or Carnet overthere.

Just avoid at all costs Poipet-border. Any overlander knows that !!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia, Thailand Mull Drive-Through Facility for Tourists
AKP Phnom Penh, March 04, 2023 --

Cambodia and Thailand are considering to allow tourists from the two countries to access drive-through permit to further promote bilateral tourism cooperation.
The idea was floated in a meeting between H.E. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and H.E. Cherdkiat Atthakor, Ambassador of Thailand to Cambodia here in Phnom Penh on Thursday.

According to H.E. Thong Khon, Cambodia and Thailand agreed to encourage mutual tourists and visitors from the third countries to visit the two countries under the campaign of "Two Kingdoms, One Tourism Destination".
The minister will propose to the Royal Government of Cambodia for a discussion and feasibility study on self-driving tourists for the two countries.
By Lim Nary
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

maybe coincidence, but when i crossed Koh Kong border on 27.12 i didnt see any cambodian car at the Thai side at all, and at the Khmer side, there is a bridge over the Koh Kong River at about 4 kms from the border, after that, didnt see any Thai car either, zero-zero. I did see some Thai pick-ups at the border but all went in loaded and came back empty. They gave me also a kind of border pass for my car, for the case you want to cross quick and stay in Koh Kong and go back the same day.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the above is pure hype:

Legally, my Thai 5 year license is valid in ALL ASEAN countries BUT Cambodia refuses to accept it 80% of the time
Until the get this right......
...., didnt see any Thai car either, zero-zero
I've driven my Thai car ( even had it in PP for 8 months in 2008) all over the country since 2006 and think only once or twice in all my trips have I see a thai plate and that was in SR

FYI:
I always made it a point to take off my front plate as they cant see its a Thai car as ur heading towards them, they wont stop you and after they see its a thai car, ur passed them :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic