Getting clean in Pai

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Getting clean in Pai

Post by kagi »

Any lingering doubts about Thailand’s tourism recovery were washed away on Thursday when the meandering Pai River in Mae Hong Son became a traffic jam of floating foreigners.
The traffic of bare limbs got so congested that the river beneath disappeared from view. But the crowded conditions only boosted the festival mood, with tourists joking and laughing as they admired the views of nature.

The video rapidly went viral, with over 600,000 views as of Friday.

A staffer at the riverside Rim Pai Cottage Hotel said foreign tourists usually show up in late January and February to float down this 2km section of the river.

He said staff from nearby hotels and resorts are deployed to monitor the innertube trips for safety.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Getting clean in Pai

Post by Anchor Moy »

Old time memories. :bigeyes:

When I was in Mae Hong Son about 40 years ago, all the river and riverbanks on the Thai side bordering Burma were no-go areas for tourists because of the danger of cross-fire between armed groups on both sides of the Mekong. (Thai army, Burmese army, Burmese rebels/Shan fighters/ local drug lords.)

Its good to hear that things are more relaxed there now. But as for getting clean... that is probably not the right place. :nono:
Up to you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

When I was around Mae Hong Song in the late 90s there were still KMT camps in the hills. Nice scenery but a lot of dodgy business going on.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:01 am When I was around Mae Hong Song in the late 90s there were still KMT camps in the hills. Nice scenery but a lot of dodgy business going on.
Those were the days I lived in chiangmai
I used to go smoking opium with all the hill tribes who dished it out to the tourists
Mostly up around doi suthep
I used to do that goddam heroin, so strong I got sick and quit it
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

my guess is Pai is getting a nice post covid boost from people watching travel vloggers in lock downs.... also would explain why i got such a off putting vibe there few months back
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Semi reap ( spellcheck got me ) is getting crowded with tourists these days too

I heard there is something in the air making alot of the women getting pregnant

I wish I could do a spoiler here but I’m not gifted
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Ahhh Pai.

Last time there met a group of Israelis that had purchased 4000B of opium not knowing how to use it. I helped them out and after a few sessions of chasing the dragon they gifted me the whole lump saying they did not want to travel with it.

The last part of my trip got a little foggy to say the least.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

you all have different memories than I
first trek out of CM was in 82 dont recall any O up at Doi Suthep, but we did manage to get some on our trek
first trip to MHS and Pai was in 85
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic