Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Young mum finds herself is a no win situation

Post by Ozinasia »

Now this may be even more difficult....did she actually get an official Cambodian Birth Certificate issued by the Sangkat? Or did she only get the report of birth issued by the hospital where the child was born (which is NOT an official birth certificate)?
If you're not sure, then feel free to send me a picture/scan of the document she has and I will let you know
[/quote]

She only has what the hospital gave her, certificate of live birth, deffo nothing from the Sangkat, she hasnt got it with her right now but I've asked she when she returns home to send me a copy
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:21 pm She only has what the hospital gave her, certificate of live birth, deffo nothing from the Sangkat, she hasnt got it with her right now but I've asked she when she returns home to send me a copy
:shock: OK, so that means the birth hasn't even been registered! Still, send me the document she has and I will confirm, I can then advise you appropriately on what needs to be done.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

This guys video shows the process he went through with his partner, They are both foreign nationals.
Going through the process 12 years late must be a nightmare, PSD Kiwi is the person I would trust most for advice on this matter on this forum.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Grand Barong wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:51 pm This guys video shows the process he went through with his partner, They are both foreign nationals.
Going through the process 12 years late must be a nightmare, PSD Kiwi is the person I would trust most for advice on this matter on this forum.

That is actually a very good video, just to clarify a few points...

- there is zero legal requirement for the parents to be married to apply for the official Birth Certificate. If the Sangkat Chief insists that he/she can't issue a birth certificate to unmarried parents, then go to the Department of Identification.

- there is no fee for the issuing of the official Birth Certificate, officially it is free, although often the Sangkat Chief will ask for some tea money

- the official birth certificate needs to be applied for within 30 days of birth, it can be applied for after but there are additional steps required

- do not laminate the birth certificate, or any official Cambodian Government issued documents for that matter, as he said, get a protective sleeve, but whatever you do... DO NOT LAMINATE!

- the fee to have the official birth certificate translation certified by the MoFAIC is KHR10,000 (translation extra - but I'd advise using a professional translation service for the translation)

- the only place the Exit Visa can be applied for is at the DoI Visa Office in Pochentong, as the bloke in the video said, bring everything and anything (see below attachment directly from the DoI Visa Office)

Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

This guys video shows the process he went through with his partner, They are both foreign nationals.

Thanks for that wow yeah ..... well we know now the birth certificate she has means pretty much ZIP ...
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The poor woman, what a nightmare :(
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:48 pm
Done that all they'll do is issue a passport and they advise go then to immigration and "good luck" ..
Maybe they weren't fully aware of what's been going on. From what I read here it's all been clear as mud from the start but it's clearer now.
The current situation is there's a Filipino citizen in Cambodia who doesn't legally exist. That's something the Filipino embassy should provide assistance for IMHO.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:59 am
Done that all they'll do is issue a passport and they advise go then to immigration and "good luck" ..
Maybe they weren't fully aware of what's been going on. From what I read here it's all been clear as mud from the start but it's clearer now.
The current situation is there's a Filipino citizen in Cambodia who doesn't legally exist. That's something the Filipino embassy should provide assistance for IMHO.
Just curious, does whatever the Hospital gave you have the fathers name/nationality?
Reason i ask is, my gf sister had a child, sperm donor left before it was born and there is no fathers name on the hospital paper> she is having to pay large ( for a khmer) sums of $$ to get a legal BC and Khmer passport.

going on the above requirements for the exit visa how will she provide
fathers passport copy, photo , " ultra sound"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:06 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:59 am
Just curious, does whatever the Hospital gave you have the fathers name/nationality?
Reason i ask is, my gf sister had a child, sperm donor left before it was born and there is no fathers name on the hospital paper> she is having to pay large ( for a khmer) sums of $$ to get a legal BC and Khmer passport.
In my case it did.
As you're probably well aware anything slightly out of ordinary will cost.
I am not sure there's a legal obligation in Cambodia to put down both parents' names but I vaguely recall it is. At least it's very common....
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

yes birth certificate has fathers name and USA nationality on it but he did a runner she has not heard from him in years
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic