New Tourist Attraction - Cambodian Weddings

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Tourist Attraction - Cambodian Weddings

Post by Kammekor »

Whenever I have guests over from the West I try to get them into a wedding. As much as I dislike going to them, it's a change of pace and culture for the inexperienced for sure, and generally they like it a lot.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Was at a wedding this morning. Everyone I asked about this thought the ' tour' was a good idea.
For Cambodians a wedding is a big deal, a once in a life experience that they are happy to share.
Getting some cash to help fund the wedding was also mentioned.

I
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:58 pm Selling tickets to a strangers wedding just seems so wrong to me...kinda like orphanage tourism, obviously not on the same level, but you know what I mean. Imagine doing this in Australia, South Africa, UK, etc....no one would be interested in paying to attend a strangers wedding in those countries would they, so why would they in Cambodia, so they've got a story of how they helped out the poor little natives in an exotic 3rd world country. I may be overthinking this, but in my opinion it's wrong, we all know the old saying about opinions so hoping to read others.
It seems tacky to me but having said that... I've been invited to a lot of weddings where I wondered why the hell I was invited - I barely knew a relative of the happy couple, but it seemed like the more the merrier and a lot of the others there barely knew the couple themselves, they were a business acquaintance of the groom's father or something. It seemed like the number of guests was a bit of a 'face' thing to me and I'm sure everyone leaving a cash donation was very welcome too.

I always dressed appropriately, gave them a red envelope, had a feed and got happily drunk with a table of strangers, and experienced a bit of the local culture. They got whatever the reason for inviting me was. I suppose everyone wins.

If you're going to invite near strangers to your wedding for face and cash gifts, selling tickets to it probably isn't that much of a leap.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

To the naysayers...

If people are happy to pay to attend a Cambodian wedding
AND
The happy couple are happy for them to attend their wedding.

Where is the issue?
It's not your wedding.
It's not you paying to go.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:22 pm
It seems tacky to me but having said that... I've been invited to a lot of weddings where I wondered why the hell I was invited - I barely knew a relative of the happy couple, but it seemed like the more the merrier and a lot of the others there barely knew the couple themselves, they were a business acquaintance of the groom's father or something. It seemed like the number of guests was a bit of a 'face' thing to me and I'm sure everyone leaving a cash donation was very welcome too.

I always dressed appropriately, gave them a red envelope, had a feed and got happily drunk with a table of strangers, and experienced a bit of the local culture. They got whatever the reason for inviting me was. I suppose everyone wins.

If you're going to invite near strangers to your wedding for face and cash gifts, selling tickets to it probably isn't that much of a leap.
You were invited because the couple and their families are trying to recoup the costs.

Apparently once you receive an invitation you basically can't refuse to either attend or send a donation in lieu of attendance.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:23 pm

Apparently once you receive an invitation you basically can't refuse to either attend or send a donation in lieu of attendance.
^this
You can drop the word 'apparently'. You either show up and pay, or pay in lieu.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:

^this
Some attendees take advantage. They pay the price of one person, and the whole extended family join in food and drink.

And they each take some home as well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Kammekor wrote:

^this
Some attendees take advantage. They pay the price of one person, and the whole extended family join in food and drink.

And they each take some home as well.
Yes. Indeed. The last wedding I attended was one of those over the top ones in a restaurant with about a hundred tables, so about a thousand attending. People I shared a table with managed to take two half cases of Ganzberg with them in a bag.
At smaller weddings I have never experienced this though. They also tend to record the visitors and their donation in a book at those weddings instead of setting up a heart shaped box for anonymous donations
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

Who doesn't love a Cambodian wedding done properly? My experience has been, the more remote the village, the better the event. Everyone piling into cars or onto motos, the female colleagues so made up as to be unrecognisable, the food, the beer, dancing round the table, falling into strangers' embraces; I am usually one of the last to leave.

The etiquette surrounding invitations to village weddings is therefore for me easy: accept them all. On occasion, we have also taken with us foreigners who have been frequenting our restaurant, and whether or not they actually take part in the celebration - conspicuous drinking and dancing - has been more important to the families of the bride and groom than how much they put in the envelope. With such inclusive gatherings, none of the people we've brought along have ever disappointed, and have all judged the event as one of the highlights of their visit to Cambodia.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I was invited at my first Khmer wedding when i was working for a big local construction company in PP.
Younger engineer getting married, all management invited, fancy place, traditionally elegant but no luxury. Flashy colors, neat musics, good food, lots of beer, very good spirit. We worked our asses off for months, the project coming to an end, successfully. Great atmosphere and memories, 3 or 4 westerners on 300 people i guess.

Few days after, same company private party to celebrate the project completion, but aimed at low level staff and middle management (including the newly wedded engineer and the crew, but no top management), and that is another situation.
It was in an outside place close to SR (where the project was), a "fortified" place with a wood enclosure, and all the housings for cooking, music, gazebos and stuff for parties. It was all fine until guys from outside tried to enter the gate, which was refused, then it escalated into a kind of barbarian assault of the fort, sticks, rocks, poles, shouting, throwing bottles and such, blood here and there as some successfully entered the place, caught, thrown back out...The guys were panickey for me (the only westerner) and dragged me inside, caring and also terrified of being responsible of the barang's injuries if happening so.. I was more laughing than scared, but i stopped because they also felt quite ashamed to let me see the wrong side of partying, although all was fine between the attendees, only external pain because "they-party-we-live-closeby-why-can't-we-get-drunk-too" kind of shitty jealous attitude, ruining what they can't have.
Seen that before in wilder places, no injuries anyway.

Second wedding 2 years later, with my fellow factory co-workers, me one of the managers, them not, and a few guys from Japanese management.
Cheaper place, flashy colors, neat music but louder, ok food, lots of beer, very good spirit. We worked our asses off for months, tensions at work between our 3 nationalities, me the sole westerner with limited Khmer and Japanese vocabulary, 150 people max.
But i brought my wife (indonesian, not speaking any language at all) and my kid (4), and we blended spendidly, up to the very end of the event. Dancing, singing, joking, regaling ourselves from all the families brought to the place, honestly it was the best wedding atmosphere i have been in a long time, and i never topped it since.
The day-after hangover was a good one too.

I guess parties are more dangerous than weddings, but i didn't attend much of both, so, unsure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic