The National Bank of Cambodia yesterday announced that is testing a mobile payment application system known as Bakong.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Re: The National Bank of Cambodia yesterday announced that is testing a mobile payment application system known as Bakon

Post by mi1 »

Alex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 am I'm a bit puzzled by the outlandishly high number of users for their app they claim (8.5 million).

Silly question, maybe I'm missing something:

Why would I install the Bakong app? My ABA and Wing apps allow me to make inter-bank transfers using the Bakong network just fine, as well aa KHQR payments. What's the benefit of having the Bakong app in addition?

Young and educated Khmers I know in Phnom Penh (obviously not representative of Khmers as a whole) use ABA and nothing else. Which doesn't surprise me, seeing that ABA Pay is everywhere. So I'm asking here instead of asking them.
In news above they never mentioned "app users". My guess would be because all KHQR payments work via Bakong maybe they count KHQR users as Bakong users..
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The National Bank of Cambodia yesterday announced that is testing a mobile payment application system known as Bakon

Post by Alex »

mi1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:16 am
Alex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 am I'm a bit puzzled by the outlandishly high number of users for their app they claim (8.5 million).

Silly question, maybe I'm missing something:

Why would I install the Bakong app? My ABA and Wing apps allow me to make inter-bank transfers using the Bakong network just fine, as well aa KHQR payments. What's the benefit of having the Bakong app in addition?

Young and educated Khmers I know in Phnom Penh (obviously not representative of Khmers as a whole) use ABA and nothing else. Which doesn't surprise me, seeing that ABA Pay is everywhere. So I'm asking here instead of asking them.
In news above they never mentioned "app users". My guess would be because all KHQR payments work via Bakong maybe they count KHQR users as Bakong users..
I guess you are right, but they do specifically say that 8.5 million users use the NBC Bakong app, which is what I find puzzling. From the OP:

"The NBC Bakong app has seen a meteoric rise in users, especially since the tail-end of 2021. More than 8.5 million users have now been confirmed by the National Bank of Cambodia."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:33 am Bakong Users Continue To Grow – Now More Than 8.5 Million
23/02/2023

The NBC Bakong app has seen a meteoric rise in users, especially since the tail-end of 2021. More than 8.5 million users have now been confirmed by the National Bank of Cambodia. At the start of 2023, the banking app had nearly reached 8 million users (the population of Cambodia is estimated at around 16.8 million).

As we have previously reported, NBC officially launched the Bakong digital app on Wednesday 28th October 2020, backed by blockchain technology.

Since then, Bakong has been an Awards for Excellence winner of the 2021 Nikkei Superior Products and Services Awards – and with the added features and rise in cashless payments in the Kingdom, Bakong continues to see significant user growth.

Based on previously published reports the growth of the users on Bakong can be seen as:

Launched – October 2020
End of 2020 – 45,000 users
December 2021 – 288,000 users
July 2022 – 445,000 users
November 2022 – 7.9 million users
February 2023 – 8.5 million users

Accounting for all types of e-wallets, the National Bank of Cambodia said the number in the Kingdom had reached 17.9 million by the end of 2022.
in full: https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/news/bakon ... 5-million/
Calling BS on those figures -a quick glance at the Google Play store shows Bakong has 100k+ downloads, compare to ABA Bank app, 1m+ downloads - thus Bakong must be below 1m for Android devices at least; and I don't see 7m people using iPhones here.. In fact another quick check and you can see Android market share is 58.34%, iOS 41.36% so ... um, maths.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:31 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:33 am Bakong Users Continue To Grow – Now More Than 8.5 Million
23/02/2023

The NBC Bakong app has seen a meteoric rise in users, especially since the tail-end of 2021. More than 8.5 million users have now been confirmed by the National Bank of Cambodia. At the start of 2023, the banking app had nearly reached 8 million users (the population of Cambodia is estimated at around 16.8 million).

As we have previously reported, NBC officially launched the Bakong digital app on Wednesday 28th October 2020, backed by blockchain technology.

Since then, Bakong has been an Awards for Excellence winner of the 2021 Nikkei Superior Products and Services Awards – and with the added features and rise in cashless payments in the Kingdom, Bakong continues to see significant user growth.

Based on previously published reports the growth of the users on Bakong can be seen as:

Launched – October 2020
End of 2020 – 45,000 users
December 2021 – 288,000 users
July 2022 – 445,000 users
November 2022 – 7.9 million users
February 2023 – 8.5 million users

Accounting for all types of e-wallets, the National Bank of Cambodia said the number in the Kingdom had reached 17.9 million by the end of 2022.
in full: https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/news/bakon ... 5-million/
Calling BS on those figures -a quick glance at the Google Play store shows Bakong has 100k+ downloads, compare to ABA Bank app, 1m+ downloads - thus Bakong must be below 1m for Android devices at least; and I don't see 7m people using iPhones here.. In fact another quick check and you can see Android market share is 58.34%, iOS 41.36% so ... um, maths.
But the FATF are seeking reassurance on AML progress!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic