Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alas, my job only looks at degrees and credentials.

If the required ones are on the CV, and no bright white lines have been crossed, you will get the interview and probably the job.

Of course credentials can be checked on line through national and state databases.

So impossible to stretch anything.

Person could be the miserable person ever.

They just need a warm body with the correct degree and credentials.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I've never lied about anyone's qualifications, credentials or skills on a CV, ever.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

truffledog wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:38 pm
You suggested creating fake documents to get a job, thats my point.
What document did I fake?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The job of a CV is to get the candidate through the door, into an interview.
It highlights their skills, qualifications and experience in a way that is easy for employers (or scanning software) to read in less than 20 seconds.
My goal is to use clear, simple language, with key words that match the criteria employers are looking for in a candidate.

Once they get an interview the CV has done its job and the rest is up to them. It would be very difficult to keep the bullshit going in the interview process, if the CV was full of lies.
I don't do it, it's not worth my reputation.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

It’s certainly disingenuous to pretend a spouse is an employer and to avoid at all costs sharing of that information.

It’s also poor form by employers to undervalue someone due to them being a stay at home parent. There’s some truth to the persons skills becoming stale but they wouldn’t have completely lost their abilities.

Here’s some professional ways to show your stay at home experience without the lies: https://thecareercounter.com/how-to-wri ... om-resume/
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm
The Confidentiality Agreement between an employee and an employer for a job that didn’t exist.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:58 pm
The Confidentiality Agreement for an employer and for a job that didn’t exist.
The job certainly existed. She just wasn't paid a regular wage.
That's like saying voluntary work doesn't count, because the person isn't getting paid - which is complete nonsense!
I use voluntary work all the time on CV in the work history because the validity of a job is not always measured by how much the person is getting paid.

Salary is NEVER mentioned on a CV, because what is important is the skills and tasks. Those were ABSOLUTELY not a lie. I have never, and would never, lie about a client's credentials, skills or experience.

Most men have no idea what it's like for the women who have to pause their amazing careers because they have to produce one or more children.
Being a "stay at home mum" is not seen as a worthwhile occupation on a CV, and in many cases she would be dismissed before they even read half her cover letter. It's the same for housewife and home executive - neither are titles you want on a CV.
But they are highly qualified, super skilled and eager to get back into the workplace.

My job as their CV writer is to empower them to do exactly that and sometimes it involves a tiny bit of thinking outside of the box.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:03 pm
That's like saying voluntary work doesn't count, because the person isn't getting paid which is complete nonsense!
I use voluntary work all the time on CV in the work history because the validity of a job is not always measured by how much the person is getting paid.

Salary is NEVER mentioned on a CV, because what is important is the skills and tasks. Those were ABSOLUTELY not a lie.
Sorry but by creating a Confidentiality Agreement between a husband and wife, not an employer and employee, that’s being deceptive. Voluntary work is a completely different issue, you wouldn’t want or need a Confidentiality Agreement for that. Not knocking what you did, but it is what it is, deception.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:03 pm
That's like saying voluntary work doesn't count, because the person isn't getting paid which is complete nonsense!

Salary is NEVER mentioned on a CV, because what is important is the skills and tasks. Those were ABSOLUTELY not a lie.
Sorry but by creating a Confidentiality Agreement between a husband and wife, not an employer and employee, that’s being deceptive. Voluntary work is a completely different issue, you wouldn’t want or need a Confidentiality Agreement for that. Not knocking what you did, but it is what it is, deception.
Oh well, I am sure the employer has found out by now whether she can do the job or not ;)
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:56 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:24 pm Many years ago I was general manager for a small/medium engineering company that made steel doorsets.
I answered directly to the owner and I rose to that position as when the company started it was me and him. He had this great interview strategy where I would meet the respective interviewee as they walked up to the building looking where to go. I would be outside doing something menial while I waited for them, such as sweeping up or something. I would greet them and ask if I could help them. They would, obviously respond that they were there for an interview. I would play dumb and say something like "oh, what was the job?" and then move to small talk as i show them the way in. I would leave them safely on the shopfloor while I told the boss the guy was here.
This was when the clock started ticking. I had 10 to 15 minutes to get as much useful info from them as possible while they waited in the canteen. We would go there on the premise that the boss was busy with something urgent that had literally cropped up in the last 30 minutes and it had to be dealt with before he could do the interview.
This, for a start, would let me see the guys response to a last minute change. Shit happens in a small business and that can sometimes mean unexpected overtime etc.
Anyway, I would make the guy a drink, and one for myself, and continue our small talk till one of the admin ladies came for him.

Now, things that come out when a guy thinks he's talking to a worker not a manager.
I like to finish on time so i can go play golf, go fishing, get home to play on the PC/gamebox whatever.
but in the interview they say they are ok with unexpected overtime
you find out what they really thought of their last job or current job.
you find out if they are looking for a temporary stop gap type job or a more permanent position and other little titbits.

There are the times too, when you find out stuff they don't tell the boss thats actually useful. Like one guy who told me he could weld but told the boss he couldn't. His reasoning for saying no was that he didn't have any papers/certificates but that wasn't the question he was asked. He was asked "can you weld?". The welding guy was set on and he ended up taking over the CNC programming from me as he picked it up really quickly.

Now as to exaggerating claims on a CV
For me it's fine as a decent interviewer, who knows the role the person is up for, should weedle out the dross and any exaggerated claims will be discovered.
Lying on a CV is big no-no of course and those people are much more of a problem tbh. Then there's the probationary period and any exaggerated claims will also come to light here. These people are usually let go with a "you said you could do x,y and z but clearly you have never done these things or not done them to the level you claimed in the interview."
Lol yes, I have been in that position many a time.

The shit people will say to somebody they don't realize is effectively the boss is amazing

I fired three Aussies before they ever got hired through this front yard vetting process
Do you didn't!
They have to be hired before they can be fired.
Just saying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic