Can you recommend a Khmer language tutor?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Can you recommend a Khmer language tutor?

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Samouth wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:Wow, it surprised me so many CEO members used to learn khmer, not only how to speak, but also how to write. I think it is a good idea if i write anything in Khmer script and post on here. So everyone can practise their reading skill. :)
ខ្ញំុយល់ព្រមដែរ :) អរគុណច្រើន
Good one Jacobincambodia. i think there is a mistake in your sentence.Your wrote the word I wrongly. This is the correct one (ខ្ញុំ). However it is really great that you can write khmer.

តើអ្នកបានរៀនភាសាខ្មែរប៉ុន្មានឆ្នាំហើយ? តើអ្នកគិតថាភាសាខ្មែរពិបាករៀនដែរ ឬ ទេ?
Thanks for the encouragement. How did I write "I" wrong? It displays the same on my phone. Maybe it's the way an Apple phone writes it? Or I did the vowel in the wrong order.

To answer your question: ខ្ញំុរៀនភាសាខ្មែរសំរាប់ពីឆ្នាំហើយ និងខ្ញំុគិតថាភាសាខ្មែរពីបាកណាស់!! ពីព្រោះភាសាខ្មែរមានអក្សរច្រើនពេក Image
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:Wow, it surprised me so many CEO members used to learn khmer, not only how to speak, but also how to write. I think it is a good idea if i write anything in Khmer script and post on here. So everyone can practise their reading skill. :)
Good one Jacobincambodia. i think there is a mistake in your sentence.Your wrote the word I wrongly. This is the correct one (ខ្ញុំ). However it is really great that you can write khmer.

Thanks for the encouragement. How did I write "I" wrong? It displays the same on my phone. Maybe it's the way an Apple phone writes it? Or I did the vowel in the wrong order.

To answer your question: ខ្ញំុរៀនភាសាខ្មែរសំរាប់ពីឆ្នាំហើយ និងខ្ញំុគិតថាភាសាខ្មែរពីបាកណាស់!! ពីព្រោះភាសាខ្មែរមានអក្សរច្រើនពេក Image
Great Jacobcambodia. Since you are really interested in learning khmer, so i will try my best to help you.
Again there are some mistakes in your sentences. So i will re-write your sentences and let you find out your mistakes
Here they are :
ខ្ញុំរៀនភាសាខ្មែររយះពេលពីរឆ្នាំហើយ និង ខ្ញុំគិតថាភាសាខ្មែរពិបាកណាស់ ពីព្រោះភាសាខ្មែរមានអក្សរច្រើនពេក។

Two: ពីរ

Note: In English you might say. I have been learning khmer for two years. The word for can be translated as សំរាប់ ឬ សម្រាប់. However if you use សំរាប់ in this sentence it actually doens't make sense and it sounds really odd to us. On the other, i also make a lot of mistake in English. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

If you write the word (I) in Khmer Unicode
you might have to go like this

X + J + shit J + , = ខ្ញុំ

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Samouth wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:

Great Jacobcambodia. Since you are really interested in learning khmer, so i will try my best to help you.
Again there are some mistakes in your sentences. So i will re-write your sentences and let you find out your mistakes
Here they are :
ខ្ញុំរៀនភាសាខ្មែររយះពេលពីរឆ្នាំហើយ និង ខ្ញុំគិតថាភាសាខ្មែរពិបាកណាស់ ពីព្រោះភាសាខ្មែរមានអក្សរច្រើនពេក។

Two: ពីរ

Note: In English you might say. I have been learning khmer for two years. The word for can be translated as សំរាប់ ឬ សម្រាប់. However if you use សំរាប់ in this sentence it actually doens't make sense and it sounds really odd to us. On the other, i also make a lot of mistake in English. :)
This is helpful - Thanks! Does រយៈពេល always precede a duration of time?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Right. It also can be meant (For). However, without រយះពេល​ the sentence above still makes sense.
You can go like:
ខ្ញុំរៀនភាសាខ្មែរពីរឆ្នាំហើយ។

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

StroppyChops wrote:Mrs Stroppy and I want formal Khmer language tutoring at home, an hour a day, 5 days a week, for at least a few months. I will pay $6 per session for a good tutor who can speak conversational English. I am looking for first-hand recommendations from expats please.
Glad that you like Khmer language :) My opinion Khmer language is hard to learn if you learn writing .but it's fun if we compare speaking with writing. Deferent provinces, deferent ascent. The best way to learn is practice. We would like to help if you have any question .
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Meh I have so much time to learn Khmer now but I'm out of Cambodia working.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

thePeck wrote:Meh I have so much time to learn Khmer now but I'm out of Cambodia working.
You can continue your lessons once you come back. :)

thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Samouth wrote:
thePeck wrote:Meh I have so much time to learn Khmer now but I'm out of Cambodia working.
Ya lol but that'll be awhile, maybe end of this year.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

thePeck wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Ya lol but that'll be awhile, maybe end of this year.
i think it is not really long just 10 months ahead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic