Internet company that works best?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Internet company that works best?

Post by whereami »

Do any members here have experience with excellent internet company , reliable ? Fiber ok , cost dont matter . Who would you suggest ? Phnom Penh or siem reap . I read the smart internet thread and looking for different options . Thankyou
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Internet company that works best?

Post by Spigzy »

Fiber: Ezecom then Online
Wireless: Smart @Home if you have coverage, else Metfone home thingy
Backup: Tether an Android device using a normal SIM and a decent data plan like Smart StreamOn8

Ezecom is superb when it works - but Ezecom doesn't control roadworks, it became such a pain in 2011/12 that I gave up & went wireless. I use a combination of Smart @Home which I connect my tv to and general WiFi. Then I also have my laptops connected to an Android phone as above; Android you can set to not drop the connection like iPhone. I've used it for streaming for the TV also, works fine except peak traffic hours (7-9pm).
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I had metfone fiber to my house in kep, free modem, free installation
paid 6 months in advance @$18/month and 1 month free + got 2 gigs/month mobile internet free and 2 free sim cards
20 mbs up an down which was plenty fast enough for streaming using android box, skype whatsapp video calls and downloading movies /shows
very very few had fiber to their homes in Kep as most use mobile internet, so check how many are on the same line where ur installing
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

Ezecom used to me great, then 2021 happened - everything is ruined. My office is using ezecom. Having outages atleast 2 times per month

Maybe SINET?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Have had ezecom for a few months now. Personally wouldnt recommend, they've been pretty shit. In speed and service

Used to have metfone and mekongnet before that. Both better but I was drawn in by the ridiculously cheap price. My fault I suppose

After the 12 months I signed up for I will probably move back to either mekongnet or metfone

Smart at home is no good for me as 4g a little slow where I live

Edit: I do think this is very dependent on where you live, so maybe ask neighbours and see if they're happy
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The speed and stability depends on the area where you live. In most places Ezecom and Sinet are usually the best ones but they are also the most expensive ones. Many businesses, grade a office and condo buildings use these too.

But as you can see already from this thread, people have not been happy with those either sometimes. Best way to get good internet is to ask people in your neighbourhood what they are using. Or go nearby coffee shop and test their wifi and check what provider they are using. https://www.speedtest.net/ should be able to tell the ISP name.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

My neighbors use Metfone. 60.000r per month. Pretty reliable. 3 days down in the last 6 months, but that might be because of late payment.
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Thanks all for helpful tips ! Gonna sign up next week for one of the companies suggested
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic