Thailand scrambles to control cannabis sales and curb abuse

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Thaila ... 9&si=44594

Buyers must show ID under new measures following decriminalization

A customer holds a piece of cannabis at a dispensary in Bangkok following its legalization last year. © Reuters
KOSUKE INOUE, Nikkei staff writerFebruary 7, 2023 05:54 JST

BANGKOK -- Thailand is tightening the country's marijuana regulations, issuing new guidance and measures intended to curb a rapid rise in recreational use of the drug since its decriminalization last year.

The topic is likely to be a major issue in general elections scheduled to happen by May.

The government said last month that showing identification will be required when buying cannabis flower buds, which are rich in hallucinogenic compounds. Bangkok aims to incorporate buyer information into a national database to track and analyze cannabis sales and purchases. Businesses that fail to comply risk having their sales license revoked.

Authorities also have intensified surveillance of dealers, arresting more than 30 people by January in places like Bangkok and the resort city of Pattaya for selling without a license, local media report.

Efforts to prevent abuse by foreign tourists also have been strengthened. The Public Health Ministry last month released 10 guidelines for travelers on using marijuana in Thailand, including conditions for purchasing and growing. The guidelines also warn that people who smoke marijuana in a public place can be jailed for up to three months or fined 25,000 baht ($740).

In June, Thailand struck medical marijuana from a list of narcotics banned for use or distribution and made cannabis legal for medical and culinary uses. Recreation is not included in the permitted uses, but the country's laws have been unable to handle the spread in its use.

Weed dispensaries are not allowed to display signage advertising their wares, said Anutin Charnvirakul, the public health minister who pushed for the decriminalization. Despite that declaration, several shops continue to display signs featuring cannabis leaves. Some sellers in Bangkok give purchasers information on nearby smoking areas.

The average monthly number of cases involving impaired consciousness and other issues due to marijuana use has quadrupled since the legalization, the health ministry said.

The regulation of marijuana is stoking tensions within Thailand's ruling coalition. The Bhumjaithai Party advocated for decriminalization, but a bill to tighten control of the drug's use failed to pass in September after opposition from a coalition member, the Democrat Party, which said it had too many loopholes. Relations are fraying between the two parties with the elections on the horizon.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand scrambles to control cannabis sales and curb abuse

Post by phuketrichard »

Weed dispensaries are not allowed to display signage advertising their wares, said Anutin Charnvirakul, the public health minister who pushed for the decriminalization. Despite that declaration, several shops continue to display signs featuring cannabis leaves. Some sellers in Bangkok give purchasers information on nearby smoking areas.
LOL:
new shop in kamala, in fact there have been 4 shops opening the past week alone and we even have a stall in our Local Big C supermarket selling 10 different strains
This shop is 200 meters to the beach in the center of the tourists area

I walk the beach ever evening and always smell it , people openingly smoking in beach side restaurants as well

I never, Ever thought this would happen here
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

why is the weed so extremely expensive.i see prices of up to 500Baht/g. I would have expected that prices drop after MJ beeing made legal.
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:16 pm why is the weed so extremely expensive.i see prices of up to 500Baht/g. I would have expected that prices drop after MJ beeing made legal.
prices online are lower, seen 850 baht in shops>
Now compare that to the prices in Ca ( $65/oz) :beer3:

this just came up on the phuket Gazete
PHUKET: A shop that sellings marijuana in the heart of Phuket Town has finally been ordered to close for 30 days after 14 people were arrested for gambling at the shop last month.

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 pm
truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:16 pm why is the weed so extremely expensive.i see prices of up to 500Baht/g. I would have expected that prices drop after MJ beeing made legal.
Is there no street dealers anymore who sell for (much) less?
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:39 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 pm
Is there no street dealers anymore who sell for (much) less?
of course
A LOT less :beer3:

actually i dont care for the weed thats 20+ % THC> its just to strong
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic