Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Post by daeum_tnaot »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm

This is not so much the case now. When I registered my new laptop with the MSI app that came built in the dealer was listed in the options of "where did you purchase..."
Also, genuine installations of windows are the rule now rather than the exception. I actually went through the First Boot up after I bought the laptop while I was still in the shop. They did ask me if I wanted any extra software installing for free but I declined that offer as I have all my own stuff.
What is the MSI app?

I'm not sure if you can tell from booting up that the Windows is real or not. I went through this a few years ago and a friend that is like a Microsoft expert/Microsoft service provider told me that you have to look for this special sticker that indicates that the machine has Windows installed on it. Although when we bought my wife's computer the staff at the shops were very honest about which ones have real or fake Windows.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The MSI app would be "Dragon Centre" and it allows you to set a few parameters, such as, fan speed at various temps, battery charger cut off %age and the like. It is also where you register your computer.

Oh and the big give way of pirated windows installations is the fact they can't install updates.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:24 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:36 pm Yeah, it's not really about the cost, its more about a philosophy of making tech work as long as possible. I don't agree with the forced obsolete thing that some tech companies foist on you. Also, this laptop has been incredibly reliable with no issues over 7 years except that I replaced the battery cells.
I've been using an HP Probook for the last 11 years. A few years ago I doubled the ram to 8GB $26 and swapped in a 480GB SSD $59.

I prefer to use old software which is usually better designed, less bloated, and runs like greased lightning. And I also resent the industry scam whereby tools are marketed as if they were fashion accessories. I did buy an Asus machine running Win10 as a backup machine but I swiftly junked it.
Yeah, I don't necessarily mind getting a new computer but I just feel like there's nothing wrong with the one I have except that it doesn't have enough memory.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one thing that i found is new computers screen resolution is far superior to ones over 5 years old
this one is 14" screen, 1080p, which is 1920 x 1080

You might want to look into a new video card is ur upgrading only
or you could get by with an external newer monitor

FYI: i also use OLD software as i find it easier to use ( or i'm just old and know how to do what i need doing with it)
I'm still using word/excel; 2002 an Photoshop/bridge CS 5
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:49 pm Weigh it up.
What is the minimum worthwhile size? Compatibility? How much? What’s the cost of a new machine against a serviceable update to carry you through 2-3 more years, assuming the rest of the machine is working fine. What future developments would this carry you beyond that would be worth holding on for?
These days, the main reason for a laptop is screen size in my case.

I think with pc compatibility, Kingston, Crucial, would provide a good choice with a sensible budget. I actually did this for a while with my old MacBookAir, which is 2013. I’ve since reverted to the original 256GB as Apple compatibility was a little more complex. The Air is still running fine.

As is my my old 13” pro from 2009, albeit considerably more slowly.
As you said, one advantage of waiting to get a new computer is that you can get an even more advanced one if you wait longer.

Thanks for the tip re Kingston- I checked it and they seemed to point out exactly what I would need for a new SSD and/or RAM.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm

This is not so much the case now. When I registered my new laptop with the MSI app that came built in the dealer was listed in the options of "where did you purchase..."
Also, genuine installations of windows are the rule now rather than the exception. I actually went through the First Boot up after I bought the laptop while I was still in the shop. They did ask me if I wanted any extra software installing for free but I declined that offer as I have all my own stuff.
What is the MSI app?

I'm not sure if you can tell from booting up that the Windows is real or not. I went through this a few years ago and a friend that is like a Microsoft expert/Microsoft service provider told me that you have to look for this special sticker that indicates that the machine has Windows installed on it. Although when we bought my wife's computer the staff at the shops were very honest about which ones have real or fake Windows.
The sticker has been obsolete for at least two years now. When you buy a new machine with Windows, when you first start it, Windows will be installed from as special partition on the Hard disk which you don't have (easy) access to. The serial number is stored in that partition and will be used. There's no sticker anymore. You can find that code in you Windows settings, look for Product ID:

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:02 pm one thing that i found is new computers screen resolution is far superior to ones over 5 years old
this one is 14" screen, 1080p, which is 1920 x 1080

You might want to look into a new video card is ur upgrading only
or you could get by with an external newer monitor

FYI: i also use OLD software as i find it easier to use ( or i'm just old and know how to do what i need doing with it)
I'm still using word/excel; 2002 an Photoshop/bridge CS 5
Upgrading a videocard in a laptop is a no go in 99% of the cases.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

What is the MSI app?

The sticker has been obsolete for at least two years now. When you buy a new machine with Windows, when you first start it, Windows will be installed from as special partition on the Hard disk which you don't have (easy) access to. The serial number is stored in that partition and will be used. There's no sticker anymore. You can find that code in you Windows settings, look for Product ID:

Thanks Kammekor, that's good to know. So if you're in the store and you want to verify you should look for this in the Settings.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

What is the MSI app?

Thanks Kammekor, that's good to know. So if you're in the store and you want to verify you should look for this in the Settings.
Yes, for the one on display.
But, generally the ones on display are not switched on.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello all,

I'm going to start implementing this plan to expand the SSD hard drive memory on my computer, and am looking at the RAM.

For the RAM, it looks like I have two slots, that currently have 4GB RAM each (total of 8 GB).

Can I just add in one 8GB, for a total of 12 GB RAM, or do I have to change both and make it a total of 16 GB RAM (8 GB each slot)?

TIA!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic