Soldering iron- want to borrow.

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Soldering iron- want to borrow.

Post by Freightdog »

If at all possible, I’d like to borrow (for beer tokens) a soldering iron for some small circuit board repairs. Ideally with some solder and flux, and cleaner, too. If anyone has something suitable kicking about for about an hour.

Before the flurry of suggestions about buying one- I really don’t want to buy one if I can help it. I have 3 gas powered and two mains electric powered decent quality irons. All of which on the wrong continent right now.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Soldering iron- want to borrow.

Post by Tootsfriend »

Buy one, they are soo cheap
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:04 pm Buy one, they are soo cheap
My $1 soldering iron, bought 13 years ago at the side of the street by Psar Kandal is a terrifying device. I don rubber gloves, rubber boots and add a fused socket between me and the mains every few years when I wheel it out of retirement
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

If your desperate to save $2 you can borrow this one

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm If at all possible, I’d like to borrow (for beer tokens) a soldering iron for some small circuit board repairs. Ideally with some solder and flux, and cleaner, too. If anyone has something suitable kicking about for about an hour.

Before the flurry of suggestions about buying one- I really don’t want to buy one if I can help it. I have 3 gas powered and two mains electric powered decent quality irons. All of which on the wrong continent right now.
When are you flying next? Just want to know which flight I might skip, just in case .. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:49 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm If at all possible, I’d like to borrow (for beer tokens) a soldering iron for some small circuit board repairs. Ideally with some solder and flux, and cleaner, too. If anyone has something suitable kicking about for about an hour.

When are you flying next? Just want to know which flight I might skip, just in case .. :hattip:
That would be taking all the fun out of it. Think of it like flying a Russian or Turkish airline. Not only did you get there (eventually) but in sufficient shape to tell someone about it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm If your desperate to save $2 you can borrow this one

I’m not desperate to save $2. But a working iron that’s already been proven and survived is likely to save the numerous trips by TukTuk to resolve.

For 3 small solder joints, that would be more than sufficient. If you and it are in town (Phnom Penh). The job that I need to do can be done at a bar in about 15minutes.
I was going to offer some loy to one of the mobile phone guys in the market, but they seem to want to make a big thing drama of it, so I gave up. It’s only a kids toy that needs fixing.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:07 pm
Spigzy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:49 pm

That would be taking all the fun out of it. Think of it like flying a Russian or Turkish airline. Not only did you get there (eventually) but in sufficient shape to tell someone about it.
Your welcome to use it for as long as you like. Pick it up from
Spoiler:
PM sent
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Where in Phnom Penh can I get a soldering iron for two bucks?!?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

North West corner of Russian Market has all these tools.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic