Cambodia Aims to Eliminate Hepatitis B and C

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Aims to Eliminate Hepatitis B and C

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia aims to eradicate hepatitis B and C by 2030
February 4, 2023
In line with the plan from the World Health Organization, the Cambodian Ministry of Health has set a goal of eliminating hepatitis B and C by 2030, said Dr. Ly Sovann, director of the Department of Infectious Diseases, and head of the technical team for liver diseases.
- wikipedia photo
Dr. Ly Sovann explained that hepatitis C and B are mostly transmitted either through sexual intercourse, or through blood, via unsafe injections or transfusions. Education of the general population, and health workers in particular, can therefore play an important part in the eradication of these two types of hepatitis.

It should be noted that in Cambodia, the number of people with hepatitis B is 3%, or about 475,000 people, including about 3,605 annual deaths, and the percentage of Cambodians living with chronic hepatitis C. is around 1.6 percent, equivalent to 257,000 people, of which there are about 2,976 annual deaths.

Doctors advise people to get tested for hepatitis B and C, because if left untreated for a long time, they can have serious long term health effects such as cirrhosis of the liver and cancer.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Cambodia Aims to Eliminate Hepatitis B and C

Post by Freightdog »

A commendable ambition. I do wonder if overhauling the country’s health care to eradicate such things as
-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies
-unlicensed or unmonitored practices
-over prescribing antibiotics

and a nationwide public awareness of health matters (at a modern standard, not 1970’s) wouldn’t go a long way towards achieving these sorts of goals.

The number of fatalities is a concern, but how does it stack up against overall unnecessary fatalities and life changing medical issues for the average Cambodian that can’t get to a real doctor, or maybe hasn’t the sophistication to understand the difference between a barely competent practitioner and a charlatan?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:40 am A commendable ambition. I do wonder if overhauling the country’s health care to eradicate such things as
-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies

and a nationwide public awareness of health matters (at a modern standard, not 1970’s) wouldn’t go a long way towards achieving these sorts of goals.
Ok, I'm with you, but leaving aside the question of quacks and magic healing, let's get down to the nitty-gritty - how to maintain basic hygiene when, (as happens sometimes), you can't even wash your hands because there is no water (or the water that's available is dirtier than your hands)?
And before someone tells me that the tap water in PP is now lovely and clean, can I say in advance that in this is not the case everywhere in Cambodia (or even in PP) ?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:06 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:40 am A commendable ambition. I do wonder if overhauling the country’s health care to eradicate such things as
-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies

Ok, I'm with you, but leaving aside the question of quacks and magic healing, let's get down to the nitty-gritty - how to maintain basic hygiene when, (as happens sometimes), you can't even wash your hands because there is no water (or the water that's available is dirtier than your hands)?
And before someone tells me that the tap water in PP is now lovely and clean, can I say in advance that in this is not the case everywhere in Cambodia (or even in PP) ?
No matter how many times I've heard the water is clean to drink, I just can't do it. I'm sure the 'water' is fine, it's the pipes they have to go through to get to my cup I'm worried about.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies

I absolutely agree. But, not just that you need clean water. You also need the basic awareness of that issue. 7 years seems an incredibly ambitious expectation when so many fundamentals are not being addressed. I mention some of these things when I’m in the province, and the look I get in return is that I’m some sort of crazed alien.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

another BIG concern is the correct storage of meds. Most meds are not meant to be kept at 30°C ++. Fake meds may be another problem too, especially when you think about the horrendous costs to cure Hep C.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 am
-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies

No matter how many times I've heard the water is clean to drink, I just can't do it. I'm sure the 'water' is fine, it's the pipes they have to go through to get to my cup I'm worried about.
You assume those 30kg bottles are not filled directly from the tap. I am not so sure.

Anyway, I still buy them and get the tuks to haul them up 3 floors - the best $1 I ever spend.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I've been drinking the tap water since 2010
Scarier than malaria.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ali baba wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:38 pm I've been drinking the tap water since 2010
In general, I wouldn’t probably be concerned. Right up until the point where I saw what the neighbouring rocket scientist did one day at our apartment ‘block’ on 154.

They spliced in several new pipes on a whim. The water was on/off/on for several days, and there was a regular amount of sediment- probably the sand from the concreting they’d been up to, but it was never established. It could have been symphonies up from anywhere. No one cared. I’m sure PPWSA had no idea.

It’s unregulated
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 am
-bogus doctors
-dodgy pharmacies

Not just the pipes. In my village they pump water from the stream behind 'Mango Mountain' and sell it as clean water for 2000r per M3.
In Phnom Penh, and other really large cities, there might be a cleaning station, but by default I distrust the water quality of tap water.

The large bottles.... I've seen them filling it with well water, rain water, and other water which came from God knows where. I stick to bottled water.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic