Project Ireland 2040

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Project Ireland 2040

Post by Big Daikon »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:45 am Image
Skip the potato. On a diet.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: all the Irish I’ve met have been light hearted
You clearly didn’t meet people like my uncle. He resented being called Mick, ‘a mick’ or similar. His name was Michael. Mike, only for short.

The youngest uncle was called Paddy. Patrick officially. As laid back as you get. However, if you called him Patty, which is a girls name, Patricia, he’d likely have re-educated you. The eldest uncle was called Sean. It’s the correct spelling if accents aren’t to be written. All other varieties of the spelling are just a travesty, and shall not be discussed further.

CaptainCanuck- I’m guessing that your frame of reference is quite limited, possibly further limited by language barriers. Probably to those who Irishness is purely by lineage rather than experience. There’re are plenty like that in Boston and New York, Chicago. Most are just normal folk, but there’s a vocal few who feel they need to let you know just how Irish they are, after several generations. Rather like the French in Quebec who want French visitors to know just how really French they really are.

I was based in Quebec for a while. It’s odd how Montrealers are. Not English. Not French. I wonder if this diversity lends itself to some feeling of belonging nowhere. Most in Quebec were absolutely fine, but some montrealers did somehow manage to get up peoples noses.

For what it’s worth, one of the best St Paddy’s day (note the spelling) events that I ever experienced was in Quebec itself. Boston and New York fire department pipe bands were there, too, in the parade in addition to all the local contributions. There’s quite a long historical connection with St Patrick’s day, which makes it even more curious that you can have harboured such a misunderstanding for so long. Maybe a result of the frenglish accent that some montrealers have?
I’m more inclined to think being raised in all that diversity makes feel at home EVERYWHERE. Except in the most fundamentally Islamic States, there I often felt an outsider, I’m not a Star Trek fan but maybe how easy I assimilate I’m a Borg ?

My experiences with ‘most Quebecers’ is a bit different ....the further east or north you go the deeper the Québécois roots are and everyone is an unwelcome outsider ... I always thought the British were too magnanimous after the French defeat on the Plains of Abraham and the French continued to believe they were/are the natural rulers of what became Canada. You can hear this persistent arrogance even in the present PM when he speaks in French, while speaking in English he’s all about unity .... Québécois hypocrisy is spades.

Montreal is no different than any other large city, it’s inhabitants believe it’s the end all and be all , if you want to know the most hated city in Canada talk to anyone about Toronto. Finding a Canadian born outside Toronto who thinks it’s the bees knees is as likely as finding Leprechauns in Ireland, though Montreal runs a close second .... Jealousy fuels the animosity I’d say .... our hockey team is historically the greatest, food second to none and our most treasured export, the stripper, proving without a doubt Montreal had the most delicious women in the country.

You’re 100% correct about St Paddy’s Day being a big thing in Montreal, my paternal grandparents immigrated from Scotland and even they’d don a green hat and drink green beer while watching the parade on tv. I’m not sure I ever lived in any city of size that didn’t have multiple Irish bars and didn’t make a big deal about St Patrick’s Day. Even on overseas deployments St Patrick’s Day festivities were the rigeure and a special meal was prepared. You may call it ‘misunderstanding ‘ but I’d say it’s the Québécois way to bastardize everything .... look what they’ve done to the language, speak Québécois in France and you’re likely to find spit in your food, c’est la vie.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm For what it’s worth, one of the best St Paddy’s day (note the spelling) events that I ever experienced was in Quebec itself. Boston and New York fire department pipe bands were there, too, in the parade in addition to all the local contributions. There’s quite a long historical connection with St Patrick’s day, which makes it even more curious that you can have harboured such a misunderstanding for so long. Maybe a result of the frenglish accent that some montrealers have?
Well the current style of celebrations on St. Patrick's Day was something invented by Irish immigrants in the USA in the late 18th century.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I would like to bring this thread back to topic and that "immigration" when viewed through the lens of a countries population pyramid is probably the best way to survive the current trend in reduced birthrates in 1st world countries.

You see, if a country experiences a sustained trend of reduced births and limited immigration, it can have significant economic consequences.
The current Population Pyramid for Ireland courtesy of https://www.populationpyramid.net/ireland/2023/

A shrinking and aging population can result in a declining workforce, which can lead to labor shortages and a reduced ability to produce goods and services. An aging population can also put pressure on the country's social security and healthcare systems, as there are fewer young people to support the growing number of retirees.
In addition, a declining population can lead to reduced demand for goods and services, which can lead to a contraction in the economy. This, in turn, can result in lower investment, lower economic growth, and a reduction in the standard of living for the remaining population.
Therefore, if a country does not address its declining birthrate through immigration or other means, it could face significant economic challenges in the future.

In general, immigration can bring in young, working-age people who can help support an aging population and keep the economy growing. In countries with a rapidly aging population and a shrinking workforce, immigration can help mitigate the impact of these trends.
However, it is important to note that the benefits of immigration can be influenced by many factors, such as the skills and education levels of the immigrants, the country's policies towards immigration and integration, and the state of the economy.

Now, as an example of a country that seems to be ahead of the curve on this lets look at Poland.
During the Syrian conflict an estimated 1mil refugees came to Europe. Poland took in almost none of them. Now, with the Ukraine conflict Poland has taken in a huge number of women and children since the most men under the age of 50(ish) are staying to fight and only the women and children are fleeing.
Why? well a quick look at Poland's Population Pyramid may give us the answer.
It's worse than Ireland's! If the base of the pyramid becomes too small the whole system collapses.

I have tried to approach the very contentious subject of immigration objectively and to those with the hard line view "no way, not now not ever" it may be the only way to save your country as current birthrates spell nothing but doom and gloom.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Bump for more analysis. Looks like some serious division.
https://unherd.com/2023/02/the-rise-of- ... -protests/
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

He seems nice, can’t see what the Irish are going on about .... Diversity is Strength dontcha kno !!

Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:31 pm He seems nice, can’t see what the Irish are going on about .... Diversity is Strength dontcha kno !!

Ireland is definitely getting stronger by the minute.
The sooner can back on his feet and return to being a doctor or engineer the better for Ireland.
Failing that he might consider a teaching job in Cambodia.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Looks like there are more Muhammads than Michaels in Galway City.

The Central Satistics Office reports:
While Muhammad was ranked 86th nationally in 2022 with a total of 72 births registered, in Galway City it was the most favoured.
https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublic ... 20favoured
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A higher proportion of Muslims give their male children the name Muhammad, in one variation or another. For non-Muslims, there is a huge range of everything.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic