Possible to RENT out your own vehicle IF your a BARANG??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Possible to RENT out your own vehicle IF your a BARANG??

Post by Kingofthesky »

I`ve got mixed views/answers on this one

Is it possible ? Anybody done it ?

I do believe though that your not ALLOWED to tuk tuk or taxi like the locals here (which one isn't planning on doing anyway) :tophat:
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Possible to RENT out your own vehicle IF your a BARANG??

Post by Bongmab69 »

I would think you are not allowed officially as you need a licence to transport goods or things for "third-party" account, as in most countries in the world. But its a bit hard to control if you are barang and your passengers also, just let them say you are family and they dont pay you. I saw on the GRAB-app its pretty easy to become a driver for them. Shit starts (in europe) when you have an accident, the insurance companys want i think triple money from a taxi, then from a private car. I woudl htink here is the same, even insurance is not compulsary. When local tuktuk-guys find out you are doing the same bussiness as they they will fu** you in a couple of days. Even in Belgium i know cases (in my town) from black cheap taxis who were fu**** by the 'real" taxi guys !!!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Find a suitable trustworthy Khmer partner to do it for you is surely the route in on this one? (i.e. you own a car & want to rent it out).

If you're talking about being a taxi-driver or tuk-tuk driver, then it has been done before, but I suspect more for media attention on krawma wearing hippies who last here about a year more than anything. I think there was also a law passed since re: some local jobs being entirely protected from foreigners coming here & doing 'grass roots' types of jobs, can't recall what year or what Prakas that was.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

Not looking to tuk tuk or be a taxi driver

But if i had 3-4 three wheelers for rent , curious of the restrictions on that one if there is any
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kingofthesky wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:35 pm Not looking to tuk tuk or be a taxi driver

But if i had 3-4 three wheelers for rent , curious of the restrictions on that one if there is any
Rent (at a hopefully reasonable rate) out to a Khmer (who will probably use it to start/run a business); why not?

Developping a rental contract and solving the insurance question will be the fun part.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kingofthesky
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Kingofthesky »

More for expats , but put it in the Mrs name

Shouldn't be a problem :dragonchase:
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

There was a british guy who lived near me before covid, he had 6 or 7, 3 wheeler tuk tuks he rented out to khmer guys. I think covid hit him hard and he sold up and left.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic